Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PVD coatings

I was looking at IonBond on a DW slide because I love black over stainless 1911s. Why are there so few companies willing to do individual guns? Obviously there is a market. My open gun with Accurate Plating hard chrome is gorgeous, and they want our business.

It would seem the benefits of a PVD coating are more towards great cosmetic durability, great corrosion resistance, & far less risk of dimensional shifts / warping during application, but minimal protection from wear / functional durability once the coating is broken thru; where the benefits of a salt bath nitriding process would be towards wear resistance of the metal / long term functional durability, decent corrosion resistance, albeit w/ much higher risk of dimensional shifts / warping during application.

400-500 degrees for a PVD process is still high enough to impact / soften the heat treating of steel, depending on duration. 1000+ degrees for a salt bath will definitely impact the hardening of the surface Steel, & could make the part brittle depending how rapidly it is cooled.

Would be interesting to see what the Rockwell C hardness is for the actual Steel after each treatment, both the Steel surface under the black coating & the material below the surface. Ideal would be high surface hardening of the Steel as in the nitriding process, but w/ the underlying Steel remaining at the 40 Rc typically Spec’d for gun parts. 

Edited by SPL15

On 1/1/2018 at 4:43 AM, SPL15 said:

1000+ degrees for a salt bath will definitely impact the hardening of the surface Steel, & could make the part brittle depending how rapidly it is cooled.

Defiance and other companies have custom actions nitrided by H&M and those are used to build rifles that see pressure levels at least double that of a typical handgun cartridge.  The idea that nitriding is going to compromise the parts is simply speculation and not based on fact.  I've had plenty of 1911/2011s finished in black nitride, including hammers, sears, and pretty much everything except for springs.  I have never had a single part fail.  And some of those guns have 30k+ rounds through them.

• 3 weeks later...

There are a few pistols pictured in this thread (and others on this site) with green surface treatments on various parts. Can someone point me to who did/does those treatments/finishes? Green-ish "chameleon" or "Rainbow Ti" looking?

On 1/1/2018 at 4:43 AM, SPL15 said:

It would seem the benefits of a PVD coating are more towards great cosmetic durability, great corrosion resistance, & far less risk of dimensional shifts / warping during application, but minimal protection from wear / functional durability once the coating is broken thru; where the benefits of a salt bath nitriding process would be towards wear resistance of the metal / long term functional durability, decent corrosion resistance, albeit w/ much higher risk of dimensional shifts / warping during application.

400-500 degrees for a PVD process is still high enough to impact / soften the heat treating of steel, depending on duration. 1000+ degrees for a salt bath will definitely impact the hardening of the surface Steel, & could make the part brittle depending how rapidly it is cooled.

Would be interesting to see what the Rockwell C hardness is for the actual Steel after each treatment, both the Steel surface under the black coating & the material below the surface. Ideal would be high surface hardening of the Steel as in the nitriding process, but w/ the underlying Steel remaining at the 40 Rc typically Spec’d for gun parts. 

I wonder WTF they are doing that requires 400 degrees.

Not that I ever ran a TiN process myself, but the temperature control ensured nothing over 100C. (We had temp sensitive layers underneath)  In fact the higest temp in the system was 120C in the degas.  In fact if it is 'TRUE' PVD they have to be intentionally heating the firearm for it to reach that temperature since the process takes place in a near vacuum and it doesn't take much to give a nice coat.

And Yes TiN is extremely hard and durable, not to mention a very pleasant gold color.

• 7 months later...

NECROPOSTING IN AN OLD THREAD

Seeking an update on who will do colored DLC/PVD for an individual and not take four forevers to do it.

PS. And for the guy above asking about nitride (Melonite/Tennifer/whatever, it's all nitrocarborizing), it's fine on 4140 stainless but avoid it on 416 due to reduced corrosion resistance.

PVDamerica.com

Spoke to them on facebook and they said they will do a gun for an individual and to email them. I did but didn't hear back yet. 
Please report back if they respond.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk