Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Colt XSE sights

pkrhed

Hello. I'm shooting an XSE in 45. It has dovetailed "Novak" sights. I want more daylight in the notch. Easiest fix would be, 

A. Getting a narrower front site. Will most any Novak style front site drop in? 

B. Take a file to the rear and widen the notch.

c. ???

I had an XSE and had trouble finding a front sight.  I sent the slide to Dawson Precision and they made one for it.  Not sure if they kept the XSE dovetail dimensions, but they can definitely make whatever you want, possibly without needing your slide.  

Thanks for the info. From the Novak Sights site, it appears the fronts are pretty much all .125". This is what my front site is. The rear notch is the same .125". They make an adjustable version of the rear with a .145" notch. That should do it. I was just thinking having more daylight would make it a little quicker up close but a thinner front would work better than a wider notch for farther shots?

If it were me...I would get a thinner front sight.   reason being that a .125 FS will covers a lot of a target at 25 yds and beyond and changing the FS is a much easier task that replacing the rear sight and will give a much more precise shot placement.

A .125 rear notch is fine, if you couple it with a .100, .110 or .115 FS. , usually a .25 to .30 difference between the FS and RS will give you want your looking for.

JMO...

On 5/25/2017 at 1:02 PM, kimberacp said:

If it were me...I would get a thinner front sight.   reason being that a .125 FS will covers a lot of a target at 25 yds and beyond and changing the FS is a much easier task that replacing the rear sight and will give a much more precise shot placement.

A .125 rear notch is fine, if you couple it with a .100, .110 or .115 FS. , usually a .25 to .30 difference between the FS and RS will give you want your looking for.

JMO...

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Wider rear notch would give me more daylight but a thinner front would definitely be better for accuracy. Thanks. Where do I find a thinner front for a Novak dovetail?     

Edited by pkrhed

Dawson Precision, has everything you need.    In fact the Dawson has a much better "fixed rear sight" for your gun.  Much better than the stock rear.   But replacing the rear can be difficult.

9 hours ago, kimberacp said:

Dawson Precision, has everything you need.    In fact the Dawson has a much better "fixed rear sight" for your gun.  Much better than the stock rear.   But replacing the rear can be difficult.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

So I've shot two matches since putting the Dawson front on.  Put a green fiber piece in it. Much nicer than the red. Marked the slide where the center of the original sight was and put the new one as close as I could eyeball it. Shoots pretty much dead on. It is a little easier/faster to find than the original fatter front site. And I do like the green dot. Doesn't help me move my fat ass from place to place any quicker though.