Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

No-Shoots around Port

I have a stage at our match where the shooters may decide to engage a target though a port while standing 8+ feet away from the port, which is somewhat narrow.  I am planning on putting no-shoots on both sides of the port.  Would it be legal to cut a no-shoot target in half lengthwise, draw a border along the cut line on both halves, and attach each half its respective side of the port?  I know you can not cut a hole in the middle of a no-shoot, but I can not find any thing in the book that specifically excludes this practice.

4.2.2.1 The face of paper no-shoots must include a sufficiently distinguishable non-scoring border. In the absence of perforations or other suitable markings, the Range Master must order that all affected targets have a replacement non-scoring border drawn or fitted thereon.

Sounds to me like you can draw a "perf" on the target and be good to go.  Seems weird but thats how that reads to me.  I may be missing another rule tho.

1 hour ago, mjl said:

I have a stage at our match where the shooters may decide to engage a target though a port while standing 8+ feet away from the port, which is somewhat narrow.  I am planning on putting no-shoots on both sides of the port.  Would it be legal to cut a no-shoot target in half lengthwise, draw a border along the cut line on both halves, and attach each half its respective side of the port?  I know you can not cut a hole in the middle of a no-shoot, but I can not find any thing in the book that specifically excludes this practice.

Put the non-cut edges towards the port. That way you should have no drama over your drawn lines. Or don't be so thrifty and use 2 targets ;)

I've been known to cut squares or rectangles in the middle of no shoots to surround ports.  We have walls made of the orange construction mesh and it keeps us honest when shooting through ports, especially at distance.  I am familiar with the cited rule above, but always took it to mean the outer edge, but sounds like it would appear to be the center square as well.  Next time....

3 hours ago, Hammer002 said:

I've been known to cut squares or rectangles in the middle of no shoots to surround ports.  We have walls made of the orange construction mesh and it keeps us honest when shooting through ports, especially at distance.  I am familiar with the cited rule above, but always took it to mean the outer edge, but sounds like it would appear to be the center square as well.  Next time....

4.1.3 prohibits holes in no shoots, period...

57 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

4.1.3 prohibits holes in no shoots, period...

Yeah, ran into this last year. Amazing how many people thought it was legal

4.1.3 No-shoots must be clearly marked or be of a single color different from scoring targets. Metal no-shoots in the general size and shape of authorized paper targets may be used. Metal no-shoots do not have a non-scoring border. No-shoots may not have holes cut in them and be used as penalty targets that must be shot through to hit a scoring target; see 9.1.5.

got it.

Edited by Hammer002

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...