Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking Load Data for 9mm 150g SWC

WI_Shooter_2017

Depends on the gun.  I have some old 135 and 150 gr SWCs I used in 38 super and have been slowly using them up in 9mm.  They have been reliable in my 1911 based open steel challenge gun, tanfo and 1911 Dan Wesson, and even have a load with them in my PCC.  They run reliabley, but you do have to set the depth and try in your gun.  One thing, the 135 SWC I have shoot great out of the PCC and briley barreled steel challenge gun, but tumble from the dan wesson PM9 and tanfo.  Never figured that one out as they all shoot 135 Bayou or SNS bullets very accurately. 

Possible, but I use the same crimp with the SNS and Bayou 135's and they are coated not lead.  I tried a few different powders and OAL's with the same results and said to heck with that.    i can use them up in the steel gun and PCC no problem-o, and occasionally in the DW or tanfo on steel...steel doesn't care if the bullet is tumbling.  ;)    

Anyway, as for load data for the 150 gr bullets....what powders do you have?  I only have load data for a couple of powders.  Be aware that the 150s go deep in the case so don't just use 147 gr bullet data as they don't sit as deep in the case. 

I load 155gr TCs with 2.4-2.8gr of RedDot, 2.6 makes minor. Your SWC may take away more case capacity. Tried a few other powders all starting lower than 147 data.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

First, you might as well buy an ordinary 147.

I have run through 3,000 of Bayou's 150 semi wadcutters and they leave the exact same hole in the target as any round nose 9mm bullet: they don't punch cleaner holes in either paper or cardboard.

Bayou's 150 actually weighs exactly 147, so I was able to work up a load as normal. I found them perfectly accurate (1.75-2" @ 25) from a Tanfoglio Stock 3 and an M&P fitted with a hand-fit barrel.

Good bullets sure, but I won't be buying any more.

Code "54730" is good for 10% off at Acme which makes them even cheaper than Blue Bullets, so I'm going with a bulk purchase of those.

2 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

First, you might as well buy an ordinary 147.

I have run through 3,000 of Bayou's 150 semi wadcutters and they leave the exact same hole in the target as any round nose 9mm bullet: they don't punch cleaner holes in either paper or cardboard.

Bayou's 150 actually weighs exactly 147, so I was able to work up a load as normal. I found them perfectly accurate (1.75-2" @ 25) from a Tanfoglio Stock 3 and an M&P fitted with a hand-fit barrel.

Good bullets sure, but I won't be buying any more.

Code "54730" is good for 10% off at Acme which makes them even cheaper than Blue Bullets, so I'm going with a bulk purchase of those.

The 147s are great bullets.  Ive shot alot of them in the last 2 years, maybe 6000?  Well alot for me, heh.  Shot MBC 147s before that the and finish on the Acme bullets is incredible compared to the MBC and Blue Bullets Ive seen, almost FMJ or plated smooth.  

@WI_Shooter_2017 Just buy the 147s from Acme like Memphis said.  I dont think you will have feed issues, and I dont think case capacity will be an issue as youll want to use a low volume powder like Titegroup with a heavy bullet.  They wont be any more accurate.   Im assuming you are from WI?  If you are close enough, Id take a drive to Germantown and go pick them up.  Im about 90 minutes away, but I just have them shipped and use the 10% off code and they show up 2 days after ordering, everytime.

All that being said, if Acme would get a mold without the lube groove for the SWC's, Id buy a few boxes and give them a shot for kicks and grins.  But Id actually like to see some bullets from them in the 165gr range.

Edited by Kaldor

L-SWCs feed in all my 9x19 guns, including pre-WWII P-08 Lugers and WWII P-38s. COL is usually the secret (or adjusting the mag lips, but I've never had to).

Use 147gn lead start loads and work up.

I've shot a lot of 158gn L-SWCs made for .38 Spl quite successfully and accurately. Better than most 147gn bullets.

• 2 years later...
On 5/21/2017 at 11:04 PM, noylj said:

L-SWCs feed in all my 9x19 guns, including pre-WWII P-08 Lugers and WWII P-38s. COL is usually the secret (or adjusting the mag lips, but I've never had to).

Use 147gn lead start loads and work up.

I've shot a lot of 158gn L-SWCs made for .38 Spl quite successfully and accurately. Better than most 147gn bullets.

I know this is an OLD thread, but I recently got some 9mm  158gn Campro RNFP bullets and Alliant Sport Pistol Powder, both new to me, typically I’m reloading 9mm 147gn Campro RNFP bullets with Win 231 and these shoot really well out of me Shadow 2, but recently switched to Alliant Sport Pistol Powder with the 147s and these also work well, but I’m curious about the 158’s and wondering if you have any load data on them.  I believe the HP-38 is similar to 231, and the starting load for that is 2.9gn to 3.1gn and so I’m thinking since VVn320 is similar to 231, then I might start with 2.6gn of ASP and work my way up from there.  Thoughts?