Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best 3 Gun PCC Bullet and Load?

I'm having a blast shooting PCC in USPSA matches and now want to give it a try in 3 gun.  Under the 3GN rules, targets at the max range of 100 yards much be 12" x 12".  Anything under that distance and the sky's the limit.

I read here on the forum some shooters are using their PCC's to shoot plates at 185 yards and further.  My aspirations are not that high but I do want to hit what I am during a normal COF.

So what bullets and loads are folks using in 3 gun and what kind of accuracy have you achieved?

Thanks.

Bill

Hi Eric.  

I'm still running stock (unreamed) PSA barrels.  Loaded up a few, checked again this afternoon and the longest I can load 124 gr MG JHP is 1,055".  Anything longer sticks in the rifling and is hard to extract.  Also at that length the bullet hit the taper on the inside of the 9mm case and you can see what I believe they call the Coke Bottle effect.

So far short bullets do seem to feed OK.  I'm just not sure how short is safe.

When you shot these in Texas, had you already reamed your barrel or did that come later?

Thanks.

Bill

I'm loading a 124gr Xtreme flat nose, over 4gr of TG, seated to 1.14" for my Glocks and 9mm AR. I'm consistently getting 1" groups (5 rounds) at 50 yards.

The AR is a KVP/Faxon reamed 16" barrel.

I need to shoot for groups and drop at 100 yards soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Bill, try some of the Eggleston 98gr like the ones Eric & I have been shooting. They are cheap and accurate. I have only tried to 50 yards, but had good groups. Can load them short @ 1.10 or less with 4.1-4.4grs of Titegroup to make PF @ around 1300 FPS. They shoot soft, and can't tell the difference from my steel/outlaw load @ 3.1grs. If you want I can bring some Sunday.

gerritm

I thought about the Eggleston 98 gr but was concerned they might be too light for steel out past 75 yards.     I planned to continue using the 147 Xtreme RN but accuracy out of the new upper past 40 yards is terrible.  Before I get drastic I'll put a scope on each of the other two uppers and see if the results are just as bad.

Still hoping to shoot PCC at Dissident but not if I can't hit the broad side of a barn.

I like the accuracy the MG 124 gr JHP bullets give out of my open pistols but the PSA short chamber will not cooperate.

Thanks.

Bill

The eggleston 98gr coated work great for 50 yards and in. I haven't tried taking them out to 100 yards. They are cheap and accurate and I have run them all the way down to 105pf for steel matches. They shoot soft and the PCC doesn't feel sluggish cycling. Anyone wanting to give them a try use my code EM-WIKEL for a discount.

8 minutes ago, bwikel said:

The eggleston 98gr coated work great for 50 yards and in. I haven't tried taking them out to 100 yards. They are cheap and accurate and I have run them all the way down to 105pf for steel matches. They shoot soft and the PCC doesn't feel sluggish cycling. Anyone wanting to give them a try use my code EM-WIKEL for a discount.

What diameter are you choosing when you order them?

bwikel, I just ordered 500 ea. .356 & .357, used your discount code. I have CFE, Auto Comp, Titegroup  and a little 320,.. what's your favourite?. I've been using their 115's  (cone) x CFE  and they run well in my CZ Scorpion rifle. THANKS, Mike

I love coated bullets. I have shot thousands of them.  I have tried bayous, blue bullets, and king bullets in my pcc.  I am getting leading in the comp with all of them in my pcc.  I am running 124 grain blue bullets in my 9 major open gun at local matches without any problems.  I might try these for the hell of of it.  

56 minutes ago, mike NM said:

bwikel, I just ordered 500 ea. .356 & .357, used your discount code. I have CFE, Auto Comp, Titegroup  and a little 320,.. what's your favourite?. I've been using their 115's  (cone) x CFE  and they run well in my CZ Scorpion rifle. THANKS, Mike

Depends on what load you want. For sub-minor loads out of my 8.5 in barrel 3.0 gr. titegroup gets me 105pf with the 98gr. For loads that make minor you need to be in the 4.0gr range with titegroup. I like titegroup for this load since it is a small charge and the times I have tried slower powders (HS6, CFE and WAC) to make gas they have been more harsh for the same power factor.

1 hour ago, bwikel said:

The eggleston 98gr coated work great for 50 yards and in. I haven't tried taking them out to 100 yards. .......................... Anyone wanting to give them a try use my code EM-WIKEL for a discount.

Thanks Brian.

At the moment I've got enough bullets for USPSA matches (under 50 yards) to last me several months.  When I need some more I will definitely give Eggleston a try.

But now I need long range bullets for 3 gun

Hello: Load up some 124's and try them in a length that will fit your barrel. Drop the charge down about .5 grains and chrono. I found 140-145PF worked the best for accuracy for me at 100 yards. The barrel I had at the time was short chambered and the bullet was just touching the lands but would eject just fine when showing clear. Thanks, Eric

Hi Eric.  I loaded up some dummy rounds with the MG 124 gr JHP bullets.  Max length I can load them to and still pass the plunk test is 1.055".

At that length, the base of the bullet pushes out the brass. Its pushed out enough that I don't know if these will even feed reliably.  I can always load up a handful and see what happens.

Thanks.

Bill

My PCC load is a 124 gr FMJ RN over 3.5 TiteGroup.  Out of my JP GMR13 with a 14-1/2" barrel it runs 1017 fps.  With a 25 yd zero it drops 8" @ 100 yds.  My first match was during the Winter and all stages were steel.  One stage had you shooting at 5 steel IPSC targets off-hand @ 110, 100, & 90 yds.  I was 14 for 15.  

1 hour ago, Old3GNR said:

My PCC load is a 124 gr FMJ RN over 3.5 TiteGroup.  Out of my JP GMR13 with a 14-1/2" barrel it runs 1017 fps.  With a 25 yd zero it drops 8" @ 100 yds.  My first match was during the Winter and all stages were steel.  One stage had you shooting at 5 steel IPSC targets off-hand @ 110, 100, & 90 yds.  I was 14 for 15.  

Interesting load.  Have you shot any groups at 100 yards.

Your load is 126 PF and I thought I would need something much hotter to knock the paint off steel at 100.

Bill