Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moving Uprange Before Completing Magazine Change

TravisNC

Here's the same stage from SC State Match (stage 5) with two shooters shooting it differently; drop and go vs. change and go. 

M class stage win 

B class stage win (me)

Edited by TravisNC

2 hours ago, rowdyb said:

The first stage in Memphis Mechanic's video here, he does the reloads backing up just how I would like to think I do.

Being wrong-handed pays off every once in a blue moon.

2 hours ago, wtturn said:

Being wrong-handed pays off every once in a blue moon.

Actually I just ran the stage the opposite direction from the righties because your starting position was centered in the back of the shooting area. It didn't matter which way you went first, they were within a yard of being the same overall distance. They had the same ergonomic advantage that I did when they ran to the left first.

If I had been forced to shoot it the opposite direction like my righty friends did? Let's say you had started on X's practically buried in that rear left window so that going R to L made no sense. Then my reloads would have been the "drop mag upon firing last shot, sprint uprange, insert after making the U turn while headed back downrange" type.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Actually I just ran the stage the opposite direction from the righties because your starting position was centered in the back of the shooting area. It didn't matter which way you went first, they were within a yard of being the same overall distance. They had the same ergonomic advantage that I did when they ran to the left first.

If I had been forced to shoot it the opposite direction like my righty friends did? Let's say you had started on X's practically buried in that rear left window so that going R to L made no sense. Then my reloads would have been the "drop mag upon firing last shot, sprint uprange, insert after making the U turn while headed back downrange" type.

Right.  Our technique is the same conceptually, just mirrored due to hand dominance.

On 5/18/2017 at 2:34 PM, motosapiens said:

even when having to move directly uprange? when moving other directions you can pretty much reload as you step off, especially if you are fast at reloads, so you're not really losing any time, but it seems like if you have to move uprange, you can't do much to get that movement started until the mag is seated.

Yeah even when moving directly uprange. I think a big part of what makes reloading at the beginning faster for me is the faster target acquisition at the end of the movement since the reload is already out of the way. If I'm executing correctly, I complete the reload on my first step backward, then I can turn and run.

That presupposes your reloads are well practiced and fast enough. To be brutally frank mine aren't, and I wind up delaying a full turn toward the weak side so that I won't break 180. This currently makes "mag draw, run uprange,  turn, load" the faster method.

It would be best practice to clean my reloads up agressively in dryfire, however right now I only touch the gun monthly... and that's if I manage to make it to our 2nd Saturday match.

When I get passionate about improving again (and my time sucking project truck is finished) this is something that will change.

35 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

That presupposes your reloads are well practiced and fast enough. To be brutally frank mine aren't, and I wind up delaying a full turn toward the weak side so that I won't break 180. This currently makes "mag draw, run uprange,  turn, load" the faster method.

Yeah absolutely. I figure for reloading at the beginning of movement to be effective, you need to have the reload completed within .5 or .6 of your last shot in position (this would probably be about .7 or .8 speed if you were to also reaquire the target and fire). You're making the right decision with what you know based on an assessment of your own skills.

You may not ever change from the manner that it's best for you do execute now, and that's fine.

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

excellent point. the faster your reloads are, the easier it is to get them in at the start of movement without actually delaying the movement. which means as your reloads get faster, it is worth revisiting the testing phase to see what works best.

On 2017-05-18 at 1:49 PM, Jake Di Vita said:

Testing both extensively is the only way you will know what is best for you.

I am in the apparent minority being faster reloading at the start of the movement rather than the end of it.

I'm with you

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/05/2017 at 5:57 AM, Jake Di Vita said:

Yeah absolutely. I figure for reloading at the beginning of movement to be effective, you need to have the reload completed within .5 or .6 of your last shot in position (this would probably be about .7 or .8 speed if you were to also reaquire the target and fire). You're making the right decision with what you know based on an assessment of your own skills.

You may not ever change from the manner that it's best for you do execute now, and that's fine.

I agree. there is best practice. then there is best method taking into account current skill level. it's a bit like shooting on the move. in certain cases it's the most efficient way through the stage. but for a shooter without solid hit quality while moving they may be better to post up, shoot, then haul to next position and repeat. a GM may not stop walking the whole stage and shoot it all moving. 

There is a guy from Australia (10 round country) who shoots open. Brodie. He shot at the 2014 WS (came 3rd in open behind Max and Shane). through necessity as an open shooter in 10 round land he has amazing hand speed on his reloads. 

much like Jake mentioned he is reloading WITHIN the first step of movement. He is so fast I doubt his reloads are delaying his position exit much at all. maybe a couple tenths if that vs moving without the reload. I have no idea how much reload practice he's done to get to that level but I'd say his match pace reloads are solid 0.8s and possibly faster when pushing. There is not much vid of him around the net but if you see him shoot at an international match or find a video he is great to watch.

He's also inspiring as a 100% amateur shooter competing at the top level. There is basically no such thing as a pro shooter in Australia. He has some sponsors who provide small support (discounts, maybe projies etc) but he pays his own way for the most part and has a full time (non shooting related) job that limits how much money and time he has for practice. Considering he can hang with guys who've been through AMU etc and are full time shooting it shows where dedication to something you love can take you.

On 5/18/2017 at 7:19 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

Personally I find turning toward the gun a really easy position to pound the reload out at the beginning. For example, a right handed shooter turning to look over his right shoulder, feeding the gun which hasn't really moved yet. He then proceeds to run from the forward position to the right rear corner of the stage and shoot.

That's pretty natural.

When turning AWAY from the gun I'm more inclined to drop & draw... then run hard and insert as I turn back downrange and settle into position to shoot.

That's the "this is comfortable and this is consistently safe from a DQ for violating 180" side of me talking. I haven't tried both on the timer.

This

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What worked for me this past weekend was to run to my right (I am left handed) while dropping the mag, grab the mag and then insert and re-grip as coming up to the target at the next shooting position. It was faster than if i were to take a side step to reload (in order not to break 180) and then run. Now, as I get better at reloads the latter method might be faster for me.