Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

147g Ammo

ad5md

Planning on transitioning to th e 147g from 115g and would like to hear from those who use them for USPSA. Is the recoil reduction and faster sight return/acquisition significant?  Anyone with experience using those "chubbies" from Stand1 Armory?  Thanks

depends. many good shooters find that lighter bullets with snappier recoil allow them to acquire the sights faster.

i have 2 9mm 1911's. in one of them (with a light tri-topped slide), I shoot significantly faster and more accurately with 147's. With the other one, (full weight slide) the 124's are at least as good, and might be better than 147's. it seems like the sights just drop right back down and stop instead of wiggling around. so try it and take some measurements and see what you think.

There is a perceived improvement that makes it worth considering.  Everyone has to be their own judge.  

I've shot the "chubbies" previously and found them to work well.  Similar experience to the Atlanta Arms 147g reloads.  I've moved to 135g RN bullets from Bayou for reloading to get a better all around feel and feeding from my CZ and my PCC.

11 hours ago, ad5md said:

Planning on transitioning to th e 147g from 115g and would like to hear from those who use them for USPSA. Is the recoil reduction and faster sight return/acquisition significant?  Anyone with experience using those "chubbies" from Stand1 Armory?  Thanks

The Stand 1 Chubbies are fantastic.  I just finished my second case.  Soft shooting, accurate, affordable, and reliable.  You'll be hard pressed to find anything better.  

Lighter bullets have less muzzle rise, but hit the hand harder.  Heavier bullets feel softer and definitely knock steel down faster.  When I was shooting my P226 a lot, I'd use 147s for pin matches and steel that had to fall to score.  I used 124s for everything else.  I shot lots of 115s, but they were not as accurate in my pistol as the 124 and 147 bullets.  I've never shot the 135s, but i'm hearing rave reviews from the guys at the club who switched to Freedom Munitions 135gr ammo.  The bullet used are X-Tremes.

23 hours ago, motosapiens said:

many good shooters find that lighter bullets with snappier recoil allow them to acquire the sights faster.

Really depends on how hard you grip the gun.

Very few shooters "prefer" the 115's, but light grippers (Like Me) prefer the 147's.

As Moto mentioned, the better shooters find the 147's too "slow" for them, and

usually prefer a 124 Grain bullet - snaps back into place quicker (IFF you're

really gripping the gun very solidly).    :) 

4 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

As Moto mentioned, the better shooters find the 147's too "slow" for them, and

usually prefer a 124 Grain bullet - snaps back into place quicker (IFF you're

really gripping the gun very solidly).    :) 

but, as moto also mentioned, not all guns are the same. my advice is shoot bill drills at 10-15 yard partials with various loads and see which ones *feel* better, and which ones are actually faster.

• 1 month later...

shoot 115 factory when i first started. when i started to reload i went to 147. i like 147 and see no reason to change.

i think it is a total personal preference thing and not that one is better than the other, 115, 124, 125, 135, 147.

I have recently switched to 124 after shooting 147 for years. I do notice that I am tracking the sights better with 124. It is a little snappier but well worth it. I guess I am getting more gooder:-)

36 minutes ago, cheby said:

I have recently switched to 124 after shooting 147 for years. I do notice that I am tracking the sights better with 124. It is a little snappier but well worth it. I guess I am getting more gooder:-)

I think once I am through loading this last case of 147's I am going to give the 124's a try for that same reason.

I just shot my 147 gr 9mm minor loads in my single stack gun after shooting my 180 gr .40 cal major loads for the past month or so.

Wow - the gun seemed so slow in comparison. I think I am definitely going to try a lighter, faster bullet for minor now.

I guess I didn't realize what a difference it was but it is pretty huge.

• 2 weeks later...