Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA limited major

10 hours ago, teros135 said:

If you're shooting Major it has to be .40 (Appendix D2-5, minimum bullet caliber for Major).  9mm (or .38sc) can only be shot in minor.  

9 hours ago, PatJones said:

.40 caliber is the minimum caliber to score major in limited division. 9mm would score minor no matter how fast you push it.

357 sig also can go major.

1 hour ago, Ssanders224 said:

Negative. 

53 minutes ago, benchmstr said:

but its half .40! lol

the bench

23 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Have you seen any evidence of that lately?

357 Sig has been legal for limited/L10 since January of 2015

https://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-announcements-details.php?Rulings-on-holster-distance-USPSA-Handgun-Rules-231

What is the reason to shoot major power factor? Is it solely to be compared to similar caliber? i.e. 40 vs. 9?

Scoring.

Major and minor are scored differently in USPSA.

It's all in the rule book, but here's an article that explains it.

https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2017/5/2/what-you-need-to-know-about-uspsa-scoring/

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

That's why I said lately. It is in neither the rule book or the rulings section of our trusty website.

It was made after the last printing of the rule book.  If I recall correctly, the change to .357sig for major blocked up another equipment rule change that the board wanted to enact within the 2 year limit.  I think it was the idea of moving the holster distance limit to 3.125".  But don't take my word for that being the change.

7 hours ago, aandabooks said:

It was made after the last printing of the rule book.  If I recall correctly, the change to .357sig for major blocked up another equipment rule change that the board wanted to enact within the 2 year limit.  I think it was the idea of moving the holster distance limit to 3.125".  But don't take my word for that being the change.

Yeah, they ran into the bylaws. But, there is no reason to be absent from the rulings page. I asked Troy if we were supposed to pour through announcements or forums in addition to the book and rulings. He said "No".

• The holster change is 2.125" ;)

What the article above does not address is the historical origins for Major/minor scoring.  A lot of this had to do with LtC Jeff Cooper and the fact the sport was originally designed to test defensive shooting skills in a sporting environment.  The goal was to explore the best combinations of equipment, techniques, and other factors to be able to successfully end a gun fight quickly.

At the time there were essentially two calibers to realistically compare ... the .38/9mm crowd and the .45ACP crowd.  (An oversimplification, but you get the point.)  Pretty much anything in the A-Zone, with either caliber, was considered a fight stopper.  Hence the need for speed is in the formula.

However, less accurate hits (B, C, & D hits) with smaller, less powerful rounds tended not to be as effective in stopping a fight as their larger, more powerful bretheren.  Problem was that the lesser rounds were easier to control and shoot than were the more powerful ones.  A balancing was needed to level the field between the two ... Hence, Major and minor power factors were born.

In short, bigger, more powerful rounds do more damage and should be rewarded accordingly.  Or, more simply put ... Big holes bleed faster!

The evolution of newer calibers has complicated the analysis, but the basic premise remains the same.  More power yields higher scores for marginal hits.

He is right, here it copied and pasted

Mike:

The two board-approved rulings increasing distance from the belt for all USPSA Handgun divisions have
been moved from “released” status to “held”.  They will not be in effect until they have been marked
as “released”.  This is due to a conflict with the USPSA bylaws which prescribe that division rule changes
can only be made every two years.  In September of 2014, the USPSA BOD approved .357 Sig for Major
power factor in Limited and L10 Divisions, effective January 2015 (Appendices D2 and D3, #5).

On 5/19/2017 at 4:46 AM, ChuckS said:

Yeah, they ran into the bylaws. But, there is no reason to be absent from the rulings page. I asked Troy if we were supposed to pour through announcements or forums in addition to the book and rulings. He said "No".

• The holster change is 2.125" ;)

Depending on division. For Production, SS, and CO it is that, for the race divisions it is 3.125 as I recall.

1 hour ago, davidb72 said:

You can only make major power factor with 9mm in Open Division.

Not completely true. Also in revolver. 

3 hours ago, Gooldylocks said:

Depending on division. For Production, SS, and CO it is that, for the race divisions it is 3.125 as I recall.

Not completely true. Also in revolver. 

Edited by NoSteel

No matter what you do you will favor major or minor in divisions that allow both.  There really isn't a reason to mess with the limited division rules.  If you want to compete shoot major.

Same for rifle, I feel there should be a larger benefit for shooting major (308 and up), but it wouldn't really advance the sport much.  If you want to compete shoot 223.

You can only make major power factor with 9mm in Open Division.

Revolver division allows 9 major as well.

That said, we have lowered the threshold for​ major scoring to the point where there are factory 9mm +P loads that nearly make major. At 165 power factor, there is not enough muzzle energy to earn an additional scoring advantage.