Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 Station 1 Misalignment

I bought a second hand 650, with a case feeder, and I've been gradually dialing it in for my load.   Most everything is working now.   My remaining problem is that about 1 in 4 cases doesn't line up, within tolerance, to the size deprime die in station 1.   I'm using a Lee U-die.  I, occasionally, need to push the case further in towards the shell plate.   At first, I thought it might be leveling.   I've leveled to blue frame by shimming the press.

What are next steps?

Be sure you have the case insert slide cam adjusted properly. Since you have a used unit, inspect the components to be sure they are not worn out and causing misalignment.

The Dillon resize/deprime die is slightly flared to facilitate entry of the case into the die at Station 1. The Lee die is not since it resizes lower on the case and any flare would interfere with that. If you are committed to the Lee U-die, there are quite a few on the forum who use it in Station 1and they may have a fix.

Be sure to have a primed case in station 2 when adjusting the camming pin. The handle and case slide travel further than they will otherwise if nothing is in station 2. The primer seating punch against the primer is what stops forward travel of the handle.

On 21 May 2017 at 10:20 AM, Smitty79 said:

I adjusted the camming pin and put in a Dillon sizing/depriming die and still no work.

Clean out the recesses that engage with the case rim, sometimes cleaning media, bits of lead, brass shavings and any other crap that can, will get jammed in them and limit how far the case can engage in the shell plate.

Make sure the ejecting wire (the one that goes around the center bolt and goes back toward the ejection chute) is fully seated. I can work itself up and contact the plastic piece that inserts the cases preventing a full insertion.

Push down on the edge of the shellplate at station 4. If it feels springy, then the shellplae bolt needs to be tighter. Next, be sure the ejector wire is around the head of the shellplate bolt, and not underneath it. Finally, be sure you make a forward push on the handle at the end of the upstroke. This is when both primers are seated, as well as the case pushed entirely into the shellplate.

• 1 month later...
On 5/23/2017 at 10:43 AM, dillon said:

Push down on the edge of the shellplate at station 4. If it feels springy, then the shellplae bolt needs to be tighter. Next, be sure the ejector wire is around the head of the shellplate bolt, and not underneath it. Finally, be sure you make a forward push on the handle at the end of the upstroke. This is when both primers are seated, as well as the case pushed entirely into the shellplate.

I have the shell plate down and it's solid.    The ejector wire is around the head of the bolt.   I am pushing forward on the handle at the up stroke.   Even if I had feed cases, it's mis-aligned.    It's almost like the case isn't vertical in the shell plate to that I have to manually tip the shell plate into the decapping/sizing die.    No amount of adjustment of the camming pin helps.

Have you tried another shell plate?

May try readjusting the station #1 resizing die. Loosen it and pull handle down on brass and tighten.
Make sure to keep the die just shy of touching shell plate.

Let us know what you do find that fixes it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 6/25/2017 at 1:48 PM, Scott Steele said:

Mark your shell plate when it happens and see if it's always the same location or maybe 2 locations.

Do this. I recently had a problem with 1/5 rounds not smoothly ejecting from station 5 on my well used 650. It got hung up on the ejection wire. I marked the location on the shell plate. It was always the same location that caused the problem. Dillon replaced the shell plate and no more problems. I sent them the old shell plate. To my eye, it looked like the leading edge of the offending location was worn.

On 6/25/2017 at 1:48 PM, Scott Steele said:

Mark your shell plate when it happens and see if it's always the same location or maybe 2 locations.

And please get back to us with whatever you do to get it running correctly. This site is a great repository of Dillon information and anything you can add is appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Dillon has a alignment kit that is put in the place of the Powder charging station.You remove the powder measure and the flaring funnel and it used to align with the hole in the shell plate hole.I have not used it but when i called Dillon about something else they sent it to me. I am talking about the 650 but would figure it is used on a 550 also?

Edited by foderaman

This type of thread never seems to go away....

I got tired of this problem about 10 years ago and ended up making new 650 dieheads with station 1 die location further out from center. 

I'm not sure if Dillon has changed their dieheads in the past 10 years but the problem was the diehead die locations to shellplate shell locations didn't really allow for anything other than the brass in station 1 being fully into the shellplate.  And that's when you have the die pushed outward to the max.  

I found when measured precisely the dieheads varied in their die locations(BHC) a lot while the shellplates were all almost exactly the same.  On the dieheads [we had] the Bolt Hole Circle was always smaller than the shellplate. 

On the press itself the diehead cut can vary a lot as well which can affect how far over the diehead can be by a small amount.

1. If you have mutliple dieheads and are good at measuring try to find one that has station 1 furthest from center or closest to the outer edge.  

2. If you are using the set screw for the shell plate bolt, that actually pushes the shellplate to the right making alignment worse so maybe back off on that.

Nick

• 2 weeks later...