Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Factory ammo for Limited

Hey all, I did a search and couldn't quite find the information i was looking for so i apologize if this is old hat for a lot of you.  I've got a uspsa lesson set up for next saturday and then my first match on that Sunday. I've been shooting Federal 180 grain fmj from walmart but since I'm going to need quite a few rounds it seems like its a good time to do a bulk order and stock up a bit.

Anyways what are some good factory ammo options that will make major (I know making major won't really matter, but I'd like to get as much of the real experience as possible). 

Should I be looking at ammo in a 165 gr load? How close can i expect the advertised velocities to be? Or will that vary by manufacturer? 

Oh, my gun is a 2011 in 40 with a 6 inch barrel. 

Thanks a ton guys

5 hours ago, KrymSIX said:

How close can i expect the advertised velocities to be? 

2011 in 40 with a 6 inch barrel. 

Probably be close, but not exact - especially since you have a longer barrel,

you should be on the safe side.  You'll probably have more problem finding

a .40 load that isn't Way Too High a PF than one that is under PF.

But, now's a Great Time to be thinking    "Got to buy a chrono", and

"Got to get into reloading"    :) 

With factory ammo you should be ok. I agree with Jack and you may find that the load is way too high. I know that with my 2011, I need to feed it ammo that has been loaded to a longer overall length (O.A.L) than what is normal for a .40S&W. Before I started reloading, I was buying from a local reloader who would load it long. If I were you, I would look at that option. Either someone local who you can buy from, or someone like Atlanta Ammo, Freedom or any of the online guys. You will be getting a cleaner load in my opinion and may even fond some one who will custom a load for your gun. 

It will honestly depend on how much you are going to shoot. If it's one match a month, like I was when I started, then the difference in costs are minimal. If you plan on shooting as much as you can, you will find that ammo will be the most costly part of this. So saving anywhere from .5 to .30 cents a round will add up. 

Thanks Jack and Mikeski. Yea, I am very quickly seeing the benefits to reloading (im saving all of the brass from our lesson and my wife shoots too and was looking at possibly doing icore with her revolver.) 

Well now I know what to look for in terms of factory ammo or custom ammo. I think for ease of mind I'll probably get factory ammo in 165 thats in the 1020-1050 range for claimed velocity. 

The issue with a lot of the professional reloading outfits is many won't deliver to my state MA because of our idiotic restrictions. 

Now seems like a good time to start researching which press will be best for us. 

Thanks again 

Edited by KrymSIX

Mikeski makes a very good point regarding your ammo supply and do you handload or buy factory, it really depends on how much you intend to shoot. There is obviously start up costs to handloading. Those costs can vary considerably however you get what you pay for. You may be tempted to think that you can get by with a single stage or turret press to save money or to dip your toes into reloading and ensure that you will actually like reloading. This is actually not a good idea because if your spending hours upon hours at the reloading bench then your less likely to enjoy reloading. The big question in my mind is not are you going to like reloading but rather are you going to like shooting competitions? Rare are those who shoot a lot that don't handload.

For years whenever I looked over the start up costs of a Dillon or Hornady progressive press and the other stuff you need it would cause my eyes to glaze over. And when I finally decided that I'm going to get involved in shooting competitions I decided to go the single stage then turret press route. But reality has had it's way with me and within a year I had a progressive press mounted on my bench, which by the way went from being a standard sized workbench to a dedicated handloading bench. So if my experience has any impression on you and you want to send 500+ rounds down range per month then plan on spending some money on your handloading tackle and bench space.

And there is something to be said about having a good constant supply of high quality ammo that gives you no surprises when you shoot. Again there is a cost factor but also it takes some time to put together your bench and learn the basics of handloading. If you can find a person who can help you set up and develop your loads this will be a huge help.

So just to be clear, one of the main reasons I got into reloading was the fact I got an Open gun. There are only two people that I know who sell 38 supercomp Major, and they always seem to be out. Plus with the gun setup and compensator, you really want to get a load that works the gun correctly.  I was very happy running limited with about 500-600 rounds a month buying from a local reloader here. 

6 hours ago, KrymSIX said:

my wife shoots  icore with her revolver.) 

The issue with a lot of the professional reloading outfits is many won't deliver to my state MA because of our idiotic restrictions. 

Now seems like a good time to start researching which press will be best for us. 

Since you're going to reload .40 Major and .38, I'd suggest a 550 or 650, set up

for two calibers.   I'm pretty sure Dillon will ship you either, even in Mass.   :) 

6 hours ago, KrymSIX said:

I'll  get factory ammo in 165 grain at 1020-1050fps. 

You'd probably be happier with a 180 grain IFF you can find

them at PF 168 - 172 (900 FPS).  Not sure if there is any

factory ammo like that, though.   :) 

31 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

You'd probably be happier with a 180 grain IFF you can find

them at PF 168 - 172 (900 FPS).  Not sure if there is any

factory ammo like that, though.   :) 

It just so happens there is.. ;)

If you are shooting a 2011, PD offers long loaded (1.180") 180gn as well.

https://www.precisiondelta.com/products/40-s-w-180gr-fmj-remanufactured-ammunition/  

That Precision Delta looks pretty solid. I know people like their bullets, but how do you guys like their ammo? Definitely seems like a good deal and perfect for what I need.

I have heard good things about the ammo. I have been using their bullets for about a year and won't run anything else. Very solid product and a great company to work with.