Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Trubor 38 Super-convert to 9mm

phil plesetz

3 minutes ago, bret said:

then why mess with anything else?

I can't always recover my brass.  Also, I can get .223 cases for free, which beats paying for 38SC brass.  

Its something i wanted to try.  I was hoping someone else may have figured out how to get it to run in a super comp gun.   

Just now, Aric said:

I can't always recover my brass.  Also, I can get .223 cases for free, which beats paying for 38SC brass.  

Its something i wanted to try.  I was hoping someone else may have figured out how to get it to run in a super comp gun.   

seems like a lot of work, .to cut down .223.

.38 Supercomp is $150/K new, $100/K Processed.

I have a lot of .223 brass but don't think its worth the hassle, I think cut down .223 cases for .38 Supercomp is called .38 TJ.

31 minutes ago, Glk21C said:

If geography allows work a level 2 or 3 match as an RO, you'll get a nice supply of 38sc brass to take home.

I got a Five Gallon Bucket from working Open Nationals Last year. :)

5 hours ago, bret said:

I got a Five Gallon Bucket from working Open Nationals Last year. :)

Unless you are volunteering some of your brass, I'd still like to find a lower cost option. 

6 minutes ago, Aric said:

Unless you are volunteering some of your brass, I'd still like to find a lower cost option. 

Nope not volunteering my brass but even buying it, it would be worth it to me to have a gun that runs 100% of the time.

Not all of my brass comes from working matches, I buy brass (new) as well.

I agree with the OP, everyone's gun is reliable with 38 SC, this is just an exercise (maybe futile) of finding a cheaper option if you have access to inexpensive 223 brass.

Maybe switching your AFTEC to a 38 super would improve extraction.

15 hours ago, dvc4you said:

I agree with the OP, everyone's gun is reliable with 38 SC, this is just an exercise (maybe futile) of finding a cheaper option if you have access to inexpensive 223 brass.

Maybe switching your AFTEC to a 38 super would improve extraction.

The .223 case rim is a few thousandth smaller than 38SC.  Would a super extractor have enough contact area with a .223 case? 

The .223 case rim is a few thousandth smaller than 38SC.  Would a super extractor have enough contact area with a .223 case? 

I believe the 38 super AFTEC hook is bigger than its 9/38SC counterpart.

Can someone verify this?

I measured some .223 cases and 38SC cases.  The .223 cases were around 10 thousands smaller in diameter.  In a worst case scenario, where the case is 10 thousands away from the extractor, it seems like it could slip off.  Can anyone confirm if a super extractor has a longer hook?  Also, would this fix FTE issues with cut down .223? 

• 2 months later...