Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Trubor 38 Super-convert to 9mm

phil plesetz

If there's nothing wrong with the .38 Super, might be more economical

to just leave it, rather than spending piles of money to change the caliber.

If you buy 1,000 pieces of .38 Super brass, load and fire it 3 times in practice

(retrieving brass each time), and then load it a 4th time and fire it at a " lost

brass" match, it cost you exactly the same as 9mm brass for 3-4 cents/brass.    :) 

Hello: Barrel, comp, link, link pin, possibly an ejector and extractor. With a two barrel setup you will be able to sell the gun easier if you wish. You can also shoot 9mm major a couple of times as well. I am getting on average 5-7 reloads before I let it lay. Thanks, Eric

19 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

If there's nothing wrong with the .38 Super, might be more economical

to just leave it, rather than spending piles of money to change the caliber.

If you buy 1,000 pieces of .38 Super brass, load and fire it 3 times in practice

(retrieving brass each time), and then load it a 4th time and fire it at a " lost

brass" match, it cost you exactly the same as 9mm brass for 3-4 cents/brass.    :) 

I recover just over 90% of practice brass and most get loaded 10 times+ some are up to 20x! After 20 times then they're are ready for a lost brass match. :)

super comp lasts a very long time!

3 hours ago, dvc4you said:

Since 223 brass is plentiful, how about trimming it to 38SC length AKA 9x23. If someone could invent a machine that automated the process....

Hello: They already do this for 300 blackout. Do a You Tube search and you will see different ways to do this. Thanks, Eric

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2017 at 10:47 AM, Aric said:

Has anyone had any success with cut down .223 cases?  I get FTE and double feeds frequently with cut down .223.  However supercomp runs 100%. 

Cut down .223 is .38 TJ.

Has anyone had any success with cut down .223 cases?  I get FTE and double feeds frequently with cut down .223.  However supercomp runs 100%. 

Are you running an AFTEC extractor? 9 or 38? Have you tuned the mag lips?

This project intrigues me now that Infinity does not offer 9mm IMMs anymore. 223 brass can be cheap but converting it, using the Harbor Freight chop saw and a jig is a pain...that I am only willing to go through if I know that my gun will feed it reliably.

On 5/19/2017 at 7:58 AM, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Since you get your 9mm for me it is a no brainer. Buy a barrel,comp or TruBor combo and fit it to your pistol. I have done this on a couple of pistols and you will not shoot 38 after you shoot the 9mm. Thanks, Eric

.38 Supercomp runs reliably, never seen a case head separation in .38 supercomp, seen plenty in 9mm major.

9mm major open guns are more violent than .38 supercomp and don't run as well, I can get 29 + 1 in .38 supercomp in a 170mm magazine, only 28 9mm in the same magazine.

SVI will not build 9mm open guns, that should tell you something.

aftec extractor in a 38sc gun.  Mostly failure to extract.  I can understand a FTE when I am firm firing.  However, form fired "should" run, its only 1 or 2 thousands off from 38SC in the rim area.  

31 minutes ago, Aric said:

aftec extractor in a 38sc gun.  Mostly failure to extract.  I can understand a FTE when I am firm firing.  However, form fired "should" run, its only 1 or 2 thousands off from 38SC in the rim area.  

How does the gun run with .38 supercomp?

1 hour ago, bret said:

.38 Supercomp runs reliably, never seen a case head separation in .38 supercomp, seen plenty in 9mm major.

9mm major open guns are more violent than .38 supercomp and don't run as well, I can get 29 + 1 in .38 supercomp in a 170mm magazine, only 28 9mm in the same magazine.

Hello: 9mm guns are not more violent than 38 super comp but about the same depending on the build. SVI does make 9mm open guns as well, I have seen some. I get 30 rounds of 9mm in my 170mm SVI old style tuned mag. Case separation can happen with any brass if it is over stressed but 9mm does have a shorter life shooting major. I normally only reload major 9mm 5 times then let it lay or reload it one last time and shoot minor and let them lay. So if you want to shoot 9mm I say go for it. Thanks, Eric

2 hours ago, bret said:

I totally disagree with your comment on 9 Major being violent.  I have  both 9 and 38sc open guns. i have had many 9s and 38s.  I currently shoot an extremely soft shooting 9 major gun.  I have a 38SC open also.

9 major guns are just as reliable as 38 open guns.... 9s get a bad reputation because 9 major takes a little more shooter reloading experience to develop a load and a little more knowledge about magazine tuning.

SVI's model has always been based on 38sc.  Why should they build 9s--they can't keep up with the demand now for 38sc guns.   

34 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: 9mm guns are not more violent than 38 super comp but about the same depending on the build. SVI does make 9mm open guns as well, I have seen some. I get 30 rounds of 9mm in my 170mm SVI old style tuned mag. Case separation can happen with any brass if it is over stressed but 9mm does have a shorter life shooting major. I normally only reload major 9mm 5 times then let it lay or reload it one last time and shoot minor and let them lay. So if you want to shoot 9mm I say go for it. Thanks, Eric

Call SV and try to order a 9mm Open gun see what they say.