Greg5611

USPSA Major PF Loading Recipes?

5 posts in this topic

I'm running a STI Edge .40 in Limited Major.  I currently have loads using both Titegroup and Win 231 powder with Berry's 180 gr plated bullets.  I've seen alot of info from people running VV n320 powder, Unique and e3 powders.  I can't seem to find good data using these powders in the loading manuals or manufacturers websites.  Anyone competing in Major PF using .40 cal guns that would be willing to share their load data along with where they got their start/max powder fill reference?

Thank you.

I got my VV 320 data from here. I make major PF with a 180 coated lead, 1.180 OAL using 4.9 grains of VV320 for my STI Edge. Now, I started at 4.5 grains (lower than the info I got here) and chronoed going up at 0.1 grain intervals.

There are plenty of plated info here as well. I'd start half a grain below people's recommendations just to be safe and go up.

My recipe is 4.9 grains VV N320 under a Rainier plated RNFP 180, OAL 1.15". I started at 4.4grains and worked up until I found a load that consistently chrono'd around 168PF out of my Dan Wesson 1911.  I load them shorter than some because I also shoot a CZ whose mags don't like anything longer than 1.16".

You can use Clays data for e3.  e3 is a lot more forgiving, because it has no pressure spikeyness when you get near max, and it has zero temperature sensitivity.

My Major load is mixed brass, CCI 500, 3.6gr Alliant e3 and 180gr Precision poly coated bullet, or lead TC bullet.  If I am using a HiTek coated bullet I have to got to 3.7gr.  Both make 172PF and both are loaded to 1.126" OAL.   I didn't like Berry's bullets.  I don't like X-Tremes very well either.  I do like, and use, Rainier copper plated bullets.

Unique is a little too slow for Major loads with a 180gr bullet, and it is large flake, so it doesn't meter as well as others.

N320 is just too expensive to use given it is no better than e3.  It costs twice as much and you have to use more of it.  Another reason to use e3 is the consistency.  All my e3 40sw loads make single digit SDs for 10 or 20 shot strings.  They range in the 4.8 to 7.9 range.  I never got any VV powder to do that well, except for N340.

2.8gr e3 under the 180 makes a nice Minor load at 140PF.  I also shoot a sub-minor load for Steel Challenge.  It is 3.3gr e3 under a 135gr Rainier bullet for around 110PF.  It is soft.

4.9 or 5.0gr of autocomp feels amazing under a 200gr bbi.