Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550B DIE PROBLEMS

i have a used 550b.  attempting to set up 380 dies from scratch with lee dies.  i had a terable time setting up the powder die  for max powder flow and bell. i believe i got it now. the problem comes when i attempt to seat the bullet. no matter where i adjust the seating die the powder die will not allow me to raise the platform to seat the bullet. i have watched youtube vedeos and i understand how it works.  but in reaity im doing something wrong. i havent seen that problem on video.. please assist

He states he's using Lee dies. If so it sound like the Lee powder thru expanding die is the problem.  I'm guessing he is also using a Lee PM.  Getting the correct amount "flare" and activating their PM's can require a lot of fiddling around. I think the problem maybe the wrong expander plug.

If possible, please phone us when you can be in front of the machine. 800-223-4570.  If you pull the handle down with no cases on the shellplate, only the size die should contact the top of the shellplate.

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 2:02 PM, pasquot said:

i have a used 550b.  attempting to set up 380 dies from scratch with lee dies.  i had a terable time setting up the powder die  for max powder flow and bell. i believe i got it now. the problem comes when i attempt to seat the bullet. no matter where i adjust the seating die the powder die will not allow me to raise the platform to seat the bullet. i have watched youtube vedeos and i understand how it works.  but in reaity im doing something wrong. i havent seen that problem on video.. please assist

Adding a Lee riser between the powder/expander die and powder drop/measure gets you a positive stop in the upward travel of the expander to adjust the die to.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00162LR6W/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Works for me

:D

Edited by Kenstone

1.raise the seating stem of the seating die way up. (That is the center piece)

2. Raise the ram all the way up. And bring the seating die down so it touches the shell plate then raise it up maybe one rotation.

3. If you have a factory round use it for a starting point. If not you can make a test round gauge by cutting a slit in a case so the bullet comes out easyer. Use the gauge to get your oal.

To do this, put a bullet in your gauge case, put it in station 3 pull handle down the adjust the seating stem to the oal you want.

Lmk if Im clear enough and if this helps

thank you gentlemen  for all your suggestions.   i took all the dies and the dillon powder die out and started over.  once again i had trouble adjusting the powder die for full tavel and expanding the case but sucess. it works now.  i was able to make some quality bullets after i ruined a few.    now if could just get all the primers to seat instead of upside down or sideways i will be in good shape..  once again thank you all.

On Saturday, May 20, 2017 at 2:05 PM, pasquot said:

thank you gentlemen  for all your suggestions.   i took all the dies and the dillon powder die out and started over.  once again i had trouble adjusting the powder die for full tavel and expanding the case but sucess. it works now.  i was able to make some quality bullets after i ruined a few.    now if could just get all the primers to seat instead of upside down or sideways i will be in good shape..  once again thank you all.

+1:)

On the primer feed, make sure that the small primer magazine is installed. Unless your 550 is quite old, the plastic magazine tip is blue in color, and the wall thickness of the tube is more than for the large primer magazine, which has a red plastic tip. The small primer slide assembly has a brass-colored primer cup, whereas the large primer slide assembly has a silver-colored primer cup.

On 5/18/2017 at 10:25 AM, dillon said:

If possible, please phone us when you can be in front of the machine. 800-223-4570.  If you pull the handle down with no cases on the shellplate, only the size die should contact the top of the shellplate.

18 minutes ago, pasquot said:

thank you for that information.  i do have small primer set up correctly.

Did you call the 800 number?