Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Has anyone here tried the new IMR powder" Target" ?

eggman

I was at LGS today and saw a new IMR powder "Target" and picked up a pound to try in 45 acp . My current load for my 625 rev is 230 gr. RN Blue Bullet over 3.6 grs of Nitro 100 NF which makes 160 PF (fine for IDPA). I have heard that Target is similar to Bullseye but was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with it ? IMR shows 4.3 grs as minimum load for 230 lead bullet with 1.20 as OAL but velocity seems very high (I think they listed 800 fps for this load ?).

• 3 months later...

I've done a little loading with IMR Target.

It is similar to Bullseye, but not close enough to share load data.  When I loaded 4.3 grains under a Zero 185 grain JHP I got performance similar to the same bullet over 4.5 grains of Bullseye.  (Sorry, I don't have any chronograph numbers.) 

I'm still trying to find a niche for it.

• 2 weeks later...

I just noticed something interesting in the online load data from Hodgdon and Alliant.

Both loads are max for a 45 ACP with a 200 grain LSWC:

IMR Target   5.8 gr   1007 fps

Sport Pistol   5.8 gr   1005 fps

Curiously, Alliant has far more data for Sport Pistol than for Bullseye in 45 ACP.

On 8/22/2017 at 9:46 PM, Ohvall said:

I've done a little loading with IMR Target.

It is similar to Bullseye, but not close enough to share load data.  When I loaded 4.3 grains under a Zero 185 grain JHP I got performance similar to the same bullet over 4.5 grains of Bullseye.  (Sorry, I don't have any chronograph numbers.) 

I'm still trying to find a niche for it.

Does it run hot like Bullseye? 

• 4 weeks later...

I know IMR Target hasn't been out very long, but has anyone had some "long term" results?  You know like a summers worth of shooting? :)  I'm very interested.  Hopefully it's way cleaner than TG.

• 3 months later...
On 10/1/2017 at 3:33 PM, choppe said:

I know IMR Target hasn't been out very long, but has anyone had some "long term" results?  You know like a summers worth of shooting? :)  I'm very interested.  Hopefully it's way cleaner than TG.

I would be interested as well. 

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been shooting 9mm 147gr gallant coated bullet oal 1.060 3.5gr of imr target all summer. I've attempted to use it in 40 to no real avail best I've came up with is 165 xtreme/5.2gr @ 1.125. The longest I ran it was about 700rd without cleaning. It seems to have less smoke with plates bullets. I've tried it with

. 400 80gn & 200gn xtp, and bear creek moly coated 180gn, 9mm gallant 125gr, 147, xtreme 115gr. I don't have fps numbers. Guns used are glock 24, heavy armor 2011 .40, para 2011 9mm