Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

UTAS-XTR shotgun, updates?

mikeAZ

I've always had a leaning towards the magazine fed shotguns. ( I have a "VEPR"). The AR style "UTAS" 12 ga. looks like it could be a winner, yet Tooth & Nail says there are still some items that need to be addressed. Research on the "Net" shows some feel they are under sprung and thus mags over 10 rounds are not reliable ?... One would think that with all the AR springs and buffers that a working combo is out there IF the "Reported" weak buffer spring is the culprit?...Any updates?. Yes, I bought one, looks to be very well constructed, we shall see....

Talked to a guy shooting one this weekend at a match, less than stellar reviews. Mags seem to be an issue (nothing available over 10 rounds) and tuning the buffer and or gas. Looks like a really interesting option but very limited support. It would be great to see an American manufacturer take on this project. It just doesn't seem like anyone wants to be first. Right now it seems tough to beat the firebird tac 12 in this department.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

UTAS has yet to settle on a final design for the gun. Of the last 10 we have gotten in for customers every single one has been different in atleast 1 way. Until a long run production version is settled on its not worth trying to work on the platform.

I would like to see something happen with these as well. The gun feels good and recoil is lighter than my Benelli M1. The gun works fine with stock mags, but the buffer spring is too weak to strip rounds from larger mags. I tried a stronger buffer spring and the gun won't run. I bought a couple of the mag extensions from T&N and so far it's been wasted money. Even running 1,300 fps Win AA shells it just doesn't get enough gas to run the longer mags.

• 1 month later...