Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Jager Steel Guide Rod is Difficult to Insert G34

tdp88

I got a jager guide rod and 13lb spring last week and am having a really hard time getting it in the slide. If I move it to the side and slide the Gen 4 adapter up a bit it will go in but I thought it would slide in like stock guide rod. I double checked that I had the correct size, is this common with the steel guide rods or do I have a faulty guide rod?

59 minutes ago, CharlieD said:

The only gen4 guide rod from Jager that I'm familiar with are captured assemblies.  If that is what you're using them you don't need an adapter.

It is just the standard captured guide rod. I thought the end piece was called an adapter. 

I have two of the Gen 4 guide rods in two different G34's. They were initially pretty difficult to insert, it felt like the reciprocating end was binding on the rod. After fiddling they went in but were difficult to get out. They both have a few thousand rounds on them now and are much easier to get in. They still have the binding feeling to get out but much less than before. None of this has any discernible effect when pulling back the slide manually or firing the pistol. 

Edited by 858

I've seen this on every one of the gen4 captured from Jager. Talked to him about it. Some come with a plastic end adapter and it's much easier but I like the metal one, they do break in but takes a while. I usually use a large cone style grinding bit in my drill and chamfer the back side of the adapter because it's binding on the rod at the slight angle needed to go in the gun.

Mine is hard to get in, although i have only done it a few times.  I have to compress the spring a bit and it goes in.  Removal is fine and reliability is 100%.

Good to know, I'm mainly concerned with reliability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen this on every one of the gen4 captured from Jager. Talked to him about it. Some come with a plastic end adapter and it's much easier but I like the metal one, they do break in but takes a while. I usually use a large cone style grinding bit in my drill and chamfer the back side of the adapter because it's binding on the rod at the slight angle needed to go in the gun.

If I grind the back, won't it slide through the front of the slide?

I have the same problem on my gen4  35 with the steel guide rod.  I put a little grease on the rod and it helped a small bit.  I just compress the spring a bit before installing and it goes right in.  As for reliability I have close to 15k rounds with the guide rod and not one malfunction so you are safe.

8 hours ago, tdp88 said:

If I grind the back, won't it slide through the front of the slide?

No, you relieve the back side of the adapter where the spring pushes it forward. Reliability has been 100% with all my Jager rods (it's all I use) the gen4 is just really tight to get in and out unless you prevent the binding that the slight angle of installing puts on the rod/adapter.

I know they can be a little tight at first, but only in some guns for some reason.  This helps too. post-952-0-82392900-1444748660_thumb.jpeg

Once the finish breaks it installs easier.  On the .270 larger rods I made sure to have the ID on the bushing a bit larger, have not had any feedback on those.

I just made a new rod, the larger .270 diameter but uncaptured and extended. Someone want to try one and tell me how it runs?

Please contact me by email, not on the boards much.

Thanks, Billy

6 hours ago, bigtimelarry said:

You shouldn't have to grind anything... I put a little Weaponshield CLP on the Rod and on the Bushing and it goes right in.  You compress the spring a little and it snaps right in... 

Agree

My new Jager rod is a blessing the old standard length one I had was a PITA to install.

The Jager rod has allowed me to change springs at the range to tune the gun to my loads and shooting style.

I think my adapter is a Zev,

Great product Billy, and I did email you a feedback response on your email!

I had the same binding issue during installation with 3 of them. The adapter quickly smoothed out on its own but the end of the rod itself just needed a quick polish and it was good to go. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/18/2017 at 4:49 PM, Jager1147 said:

I know they can be a little tight at first, but only in some guns for some reason.  This helps too. post-952-0-82392900-1444748660_thumb.jpeg

Once the finish breaks it installs easier.  On the .270 larger rods I made sure to have the ID on the bushing a bit larger, have not had any feedback on those.

I just made a new rod, the larger .270 diameter but uncaptured and extended. Someone want to try one and tell me how it runs?

Please contact me by email, not on the boards much.

Thanks, Billy

Waiting on my .270 extended rod for my G35 to arrive so I can give feedback to how it fits, which I hope is soon seeing my 9mm conversion won't run without a different spring :mellow:

On 5/19/2017 at 2:31 PM, NWfront said:

I had the same binding issue during installation with 3 of them. The adapter quickly smoothed out on its own but the end of the rod itself just needed a quick polish and it was good to go. 

My .270 gen 4 was very rough at first with the Wolff spring, but greased it and it broke in quickly. Sounded pretty bad for the first few mags, kinda gritty/squeaky.  Great product though.