Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

life x

wingnut

8 hours ago, drewbeck said:

Life expectancy of what?  Different parts will break at different points

Agreed. So many variables. I think it's not unreasonable to expect 100,000 rounds out of the main components (slide, barrel, frame). 

At that point it's likely there'll be some breach face wear, some slide rail wear and some barrel wear that is affecting the accuracy and the fit. 

After 100,000 likely a new barrel or at worst new slide and barrel should refresh the gun. 

Along the way there'll be springs, pins, links, extractor, ejector, possibly some screws etc needing replacement. 

3 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

My TruBor has about 20,000 rounds thru it with no problems or cracks    :) 

1500 rounds a year is all youve put through that thing? I got 3000 on my open gun I received in February of this year.

Agreed. So many variables. I think it's not unreasonable to expect 100,000 rounds out of the main components (slide, barrel, frame). 

At that point it's likely there'll be some breach face wear, some slide rail wear and some barrel wear that is affecting the accuracy and the fit. 

After 100,000 likely a new barrel or at worst new slide and barrel should refresh the gun. 

Along the way there'll be springs, pins, links, extractor, ejector, possibly some screws etc needing replacement. 

My experience is that the frame, grip (if steel) and barrel last the longest. On light open guns, my slides crack before they wear too loose or have breech face erosion.

I think that's why it's so important to have a local GS or learn to do the work yourself. If you're shooting an open gun a lot, it will be a continual replacement of parts process. This is the same reason I don't think it's worth the money to get a premium finish on the gun beyond cerakote. Keeps things easy and cheap to match replacement parts. Every part on a open gun is a consumable in my opinion, the "gun" doesn't really have a lifespan, it's really a matter to the condition of any/all parts at any given time. The gun is more worn every time you shoot it and it's more "new" every time you replace something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My experience is that the frame, grip (if steel) and barrel last the longest. On light open guns, my slides crack before they wear too loose or have breech face erosion.

I think that's why it's so important to have a local GS or learn to do the work yourself. If you're shooting an open gun a lot, it will be a continual replacement of parts process. This is the same reason I don't think it's worth the money to get a premium finish on the gun beyond cerakote. Keeps things easy and cheap to match replacement parts. Every part on a open gun is a consumable in my opinion, the "gun" doesn't really have a lifespan, it's really a matter to the condition of any/all parts at any given time. The gun is more worn every time you shoot it and it's more "new" every time you replace something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk