Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9 mm bullet low down ?

TANFARM

Need bullet opinions.....I've been loading 9 mm for practice and matches for several years and have tried multiple projectiles.

started out with Berries, went to Montana Gold , then thousands of X-tremes ...now into about 12 K 147 RN Blue Bullets.

im very happy with the Blue Bullets....save mucho powder, cost effective , and perform as well as I can shoot.

Admittly I am not a good shot...but enjoy every minute of my suffering.

The question....with all the combined experiences of this group....do Bullets really make that much difference in your ability to shoot to your satisfaction?? ...Not referring to the load but just the projectiles

thanks in advance.........

Bullets make a huge difference. They are the most important factor in the accuracy equation when it comes to the ammo. Plated bullets for example are not that accurate  for example. Jacketed and cast lead seem to be the best for accuracy. Coated are not far behind. Plated dead last. 

Get some samples of various bullets, load them, and shoot either off the sandbags or Ransom Rest if available. See what works best in your gun. As your shooting improves, you may find the ammo accuracy is more significant than you may think. And do not listen to broad judgements on the net. Test them yourself

10 hours ago, TANFARM said:

do Bullets make that much difference to shoot to your satisfaction??

I've never seen a question phrased like that before  ....

What, exactly, do you mean "shoot to your satisfaction"?

You might be satisfied with a bullet that does not satisfy me - depends

on what it takes for YOU to be satisfied.

Bullets vary by:

cost

accuracy

fouling

recoil impulse

feeding

length

diameter

ease of reloading

ability to be driven to high velocity

So, bullets can have a profound effect, but you might be more easily satisfied,

or you might be more demanding than I am - hard to tell if a bullet will

"shoot to your satisfaction".

I'm going to have to disagree with some of what has been said above.  To a large extent, it depends on the gun and barrel.  However, some bullets just seem to work better than others in any gun.  Here are some examples.

A Rainier 155 copper plated, truncated cone bullet loaded to 172PF is more accurate by far than a Montana Gold 155 JHP loaded the same.  And this is in two different guns, both 2011s.  X-Treme bullets in 40 cal are nowhere near as accurate as Rainiers in any of my three 40sw pistols.

The discontinued 180gr Falcoated bullets and the current Precision Bullets 180gr will shoot into the same hole at 15 yards, while Acme, Bayou, BBI and Purple Bullets will not in my CZ TS and a 2011.

Dardas 200gr LSWC bullets shoot better than Roger's, Penn, a local caster and a Midwest company that starts with M, out of every 45 I own.

OP, what discipline(s) are you competing in?  An average shooter (that would be me) competing in steel challenge for example might not worry about the same hole at 15-25 yards, but I suppose bullseye would be a different matter.

So far I have tried all of Berry's plated in 124. Their thick plated hollow base are as accurate as anything I have shot..

Hornady HAP also shoot very well.

Tried S&S, Precision Bullets, Blue Bullets and lately loading up some H&S coated.

Blues are my favorite coated and the H&S are promising, just started with them.

What is intriguing about the Berry's Thick Plated Hollow base are the length. They are the shortest 124 grain available, rated for 1500 fps and with their short oal and hollow base, might make a good 9 Major load allowing for more case volume.

Wow, the differences people find.

1) for me, heavier shoot higher

2) all the plated, except GDs, have been useless in terms of accuracy

3) plated are often as much or more than jacketed bullets from Precision Delta or Zero from Powder Valley--thus, why spend as much for 5" groups at 25 yards with plated as less than 3" groups with jacketed?

4) My own cast are often as accurate as the best jacketed

5) If shooting a 6" target at less than 15 yards, the bullet is not very important compared to my ability to aim fast

Just a heads up. Cabela's has the Berry's 124 Hollow base thick plate on sale right now for $79 a thousand. Free shipping on orders over $100.

Good for 1500 fps and the most accurate of any plated I have shot. Hollow base gives even more case capacity.

4.2 Universal Clays most accurate but I load 3.9 because the double taps are more accurate due to softer recoil. HS-6 works great but no need to use it without a comp.

Also load 4.4 grains WSF for my PCC

Edited by Broncman

On 5/16/2017 at 4:53 PM, Taroman said:

Very important for fixed sight pistols.

Heavier hits higher, lighter hits lower.

What does it mean then if heavier hits low for you? That seems to be my experience with my gun using 147 gr.