Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to pick a powder

SlvrDragon50

18 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Make it 10,000 primers  ....   :) 

You're leading me down a dark and dirty path :mellow: Tempting..

2 minutes ago, DukeEB said:

Case fill is a great point.  Titegroup really doesn't fill the case at all.  Powders like True Blue (and my favorite for 9,silhouette) make a double charge VERY noticeable.

I was worried about that too, but I can't really figure out how much of the case is filled without having it in hand right? Since density differs from powder to powder.

When I first work up loads for new calibers I always start with 1lb jugs.  Yes, I pay through the nose for them, but it beats having 4lbs of a powder you decide you don't like.

I stopped using VV powder because they were too temperature sensitive, and 50% more expensive.  I can't stand TteGroup because it is dirty and burns really hot.  It will melt your front FO.  I don't like 231/HP-38, because it seems to have more recoil than others loaded to the same PF.  It is also not the cleanest.

Now that I have a lot of reloading experience under my belt, it is a lot easier.  When working up a new load, I ask myself what exactly I want to accomplish.  I always want consistency and accuracy, so they are givens.  So, am I looking for the softest recoil possible for a given load?  Then I will use small quantities of a relatively fast powder.  If I'm trying to make a load where the muzzle rise is lowest, I'll load a light bullet, then use an appropriate powder.  If I don't care and want less felt recoil, then I'll use a heavy bullet and a fast powder.  If you want to learn the ropes and not confuse yourself, use a 124gr bullet and a powder in the Alliant e3 to Accurate #2 speed range.  Buy one pound at the faster end and one at the slower..  Then see which you like.

11 minutes ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

You're leading me down a dark and dirty path :mellow: Tempting..

I was worried about that too, but I can't really figure out how much of the case is filled without having it in hand right? Since density differs from powder to powder.

I think most manufacturers list the powder density.  Here's a few from AA/Ramshot.

Aa2

ulk Density(grams/cc) +/-5.5%

VMD(cc/grams)

Bulk Density(grains/cc) +/-5.5%

VMD(cc/grains)

From <http://www.accuratepowder.com/products/handgun/>

Bulk Density(grams/cc) +/-3.6%

VMD(cc/grams)

Bulk Density(grains/cc) +/-3.6%

VMD(cc/grains)

From <http://www.ramshot.com/products/handgun/?view=7&product=Silhouette>

Bulk Density(grams/cc) +/-3.6%

VMD(cc/grams)

Bulk Density(grains/cc) +/-3.6%

VMD(cc/grains)

From <http://www.ramshot.com/products/handgun/?view=8&product=TrueBlue>

I just found this:
http://www.tacticoolproducts.com/powder.pdf

It lists titegroup as

10 Hodgdon Titegroup .0848 11.799 Uniform ignition, low charge wt, clean pistol powder

Hodgdon does not appear to provide this data on their website.
Also, slow powders will have a higher charge load than fast powders.

Edited by DukeEB
adding data

Thanks!

I found Grafs which has some pretty good prices. I am considering buying this now:

1lb Accurate No. 2 (They don't sell Clean Shot, been reading this is pretty similar)

1lb Nobel Sport Vectan Prima-V (tons of people raving about this)

1lb Ramshot True Blue

1lb VV N320 (just to see why this is so expensive)

1k CCI Primers

3k Fiocchi Primers (been reading this is the second softest after Federal)

1k Winchester Primers

Should I bother experimenting with primers? I don't mind buying a case of Fiocchi. I just don't want to end up with having to bump up to a 13# mainspring.

Asking which powder is the best is a very "loaded" question. Powder, like bullets is sooo personal. Everyone has a difference opinion and the number of choices is like a Chinese menu, just too many choices. You will eventually find the best powder for YOU. But to do that you must spend some time with a lot of them. I really liked Prima V in its first batch, it was going to be my forever powder and then they changed it. ETR-7 was another great 9mm powder and then it became unobtainable just like SR 7625. You will find the one for you if you try them all and give each one an even chance. The newer AA2 is close to Clean Shot but just a little different. I doubt you could tell the difference between it a N320. Try them all and try them all with the different bullet weights and after about 10 years of wearing out your press you will settle on 2 or 3 favorite powders and bullet weights and styles. The combinations are endless. We are always searching for that best load, may it go on forever. 

AA2 is what I use with 135 gr Bayou's in my CZ's, I been experimenting with Prima V, my batch number worked great with 147's. In my DVC and Open 9mm I run 124 gr bullets. Tightgroup for minor and WAC and 7625 for major. Been running Fiocchi primers in all my loads except for my revolvers in which case I use Federals.

1 hour ago, bowenbuilt said:

Asking which powder is the best is a very "loaded" question. Powder, like bullets is sooo personal. Everyone has a difference opinion and the number of choices is like a Chinese menu, just too many choices. You will eventually find the best powder for YOU. But to do that you must spend some time with a lot of them. I really liked Prima V in its first batch, it was going to be my forever powder and then they changed it. ETR-7 was another great 9mm powder and then it became unobtainable just like SR 7625. You will find the one for you if you try them all and give each one an even chance. The newer AA2 is close to Clean Shot but just a little different. I doubt you could tell the difference between it a N320. Try them all and try them all with the different bullet weights and after about 10 years of wearing out your press you will settle on 2 or 3 favorite powders and bullet weights and styles. The combinations are endless. We are always searching for that best load, may it go on forever. 

Yea, I'm reading all of the Prima V stuff now, and I'm a little hesitant now. Oh well, Prima V is pretty cheap so if it doesn't work out no big deal!

Really happy to hear that feedback Darrell about the Fiocchi primers! Removed the Winchesters from my cart and replaced them all with Fiocchis. Are you able to use an 8.5# spring or do you still have to use the 11.5#?

Chris's Coin and Gun in Pekin is my go to place. CI does have done reloading stuff but I think it may be what you were referencing earlier when you were talking about prices. 

Pekin Gun and Sporting Goods is another good one. 

The store in Springfield is probably Scheels. You will pay a few extra dollars for things but the store is really neat. You could combine that with a trip to Loami to shoot the Lefthanders club match on the first weekend of the month! 

I looked for a powder that worked for a bunch of different cartridges and bullet weights while being cheap. I tinkered until I got it to work and then spent the rest on more lead and range brass. Titegroup all the things. I don't care if it's dirty (it's no worse than other powders mentioned by others).

Edited by 858

2 hours ago, 858 said:

I looked for a powder that worked for a bunch of different cartridges and bullet weights while being cheap. I tinkered until I got it to work and then spent the rest on more lead and range brass. Titegroup all the things. I don't care if it's dirty (it's no worse than other powders mentioned by others).

Perhaps after I finish loading these 7500 rounds! I didn't want to do Titegroup since I am consistently reading that it is very to explode your gun with it.

20 hours ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

Just placed an order through Powder Valley, looks like it will cost a bit more than Grafs (30-40 bucks), but I don't think they will require me to jump through hoops to get the package to me as a non-resident in Illinois.

powder valley is good, only hoop is signature required on delivery from fedex.

I bought 20# of the old lot of Prima V. With Xtreme 147 plated, not the heavy plated, I had to go to 3.5 to get to 135pf. I'm out of coated bullets right now, but hope to be able to go down to 3.1. Wow, it's clean. 

When end I get thru the Prima V, gonna try Red Dot again. I used 4#, & liked it. 

5 hours ago, lefty o said:

powder valley is good, only hoop is signature required on delivery from fedex.

Yea, I will have to ask them to hold it at the Fedex facility for me to pick it up since I have an apartment with a door they can't get past :(

16 hours ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

Perhaps after I finish loading these 7500 rounds! I didn't want to do Titegroup since I am consistently reading that it is very to explode your gun with it.

It's easy to explode your gun doing any number of things incorrectly. I'd be more concerned with squibs as a new reloader jumping into a fiddly progressive press right out of the gate.

Edited by 858

• 1 month later...
38 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

R1, you seem to be six weeks behind on your reading ...    :lol:

I save the best for last?  LOL!!!!

Sometimes I think I read these posts and then I start reading them and then I wonder if I did read them, so then I go to the beginning and start reading them again (or for the first time). :)  Either that or someone else posted something fairly recently on it and brought it back and I had already "read" the entire part of that forum (by clicking the link), so I missed the earlier part of the thread, so then I started reading it for the first time.

So, ya...I'm a bit slow and behind.  LOL! :roflol:

Started off with Bullseye, but after trying Prima V unless the price goes up dramatically I couldn't justify anything else. Clean, soft shooting, scary consistent variation in velocity (sub 5fps on half my rounds), and is even bulky enough to not even come close to allowing a double charge (doesn't cling to the case wall like bullseye does though, so less spilled powder)

At what, $17 shipped from Graf's with a 10lb order, not a lot to not like. Even mimics my Bullseye load, 3.9gr 124 fmj makes 129pf.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk