Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Processing 9mm @ 3222 CPH

GregJ

Last night I was processing 9mm brass (decap & sizing) on my 1050/AmmoBot at 3222 cases per hour.  Awesome. 

Happened take the pic just as the small primer sensor stopped the press. 

IMG_6876.JPG

25 minutes ago, DWFAN said:

Based on the comments here, it seems you'd be served by reading a reloading manual or going back to a single stage. Clearly you need help with your process.

/sarcasm

:D

ROFL. :cheers:

1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Why decap and size, only?

May as well at least prime them with primers ????

Doesn't this just duplicate one station of a progressive reloader?

Because it makes the loading process so much more problem free. If I were loading manually then it probably wouldnt be needed. But when the process is automated, loading processed brass is so much easier. YMMV. 

Oh and I sort and tumble brass before it gets processed.  FWIW, I shoot about 30-40k rounds a year. 

Edited by GregJ

57 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

I hope if I can ever afford to shoot 40K rounds a year....I'd be a GM.  But guess what, I'll never be able to shoot 40K per year.  Good for you!:bow:

LOL  I'm just a frustrated B SS shooter trying to get to A before I hit Super Senior. ?

Oh and I sort and tumble brass before it gets processed.  FWIW, I shoot about 30-40k rounds a year. 

Edited 14 hours ago by GregJ

I don't have enough brass for you to shoot 1 year..
800 rounds a week wow..

Last night I was processing 9mm brass (decap & sizing) on my 1050/AmmoBot at 3222 cases per hour.  Awesome. 

Happened take the pic just as the small primer sensor stopped the press.

I would imagine that would get quite frustrating, I don't remember having seen a large primer 9mm case, I would expect a small primer sensor to stop on just about every case.

But I too run the brass through once first as well, folks with Camdex and Ammoload machines do brass prep as well.  It's folks loading manually that think your crazy because you are doubling the work you have to do.  We look at it for what it is, just pushing a button.

I am running a little more than 1100 cases an hour faster though.

6 minutes ago, jmorris said:

I don't remember having seen a large primer 9mm case,

LOL, on my AmmoBot, I have the small primer sensor to detect ringers and primers that get pulled back. The sensor detected a pulled back primer just as I took the pic.  The small primer sensor when processing 9mm is the catz azz.  

8 minutes ago, jmorris said:

But I too run the brass through once first as well, folks with Camdex and Ammoload machines do brass prep as well.

It does make sense. I can process a full 5 gal bucket of brass in an evening and a half.  This makes loading runs sooooo much less problematic when using processed brass.  

I owe a big shout out to DWFAN for helping me to see the light. :cheers:

44 minutes ago, nbot said:

I have two Mark 7's, been looking at an ammobot for initial caseprep.  I think you've just sold me on that.  

Cool. IM me if you have any questions.  These Guys will do you right. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/22/2017 at 7:56 PM, SlvrDragon50 said:

Geez. I shoot 400 rounds a month, and I feel like that is a lot!

LOL...exactly.  How do these guys ever get off the range to even reload shooting 40k a year.  LOL!!!

49 minutes ago, R1_Demon said:

LOL...exactly.  How do these guys ever get off the range to even reload shooting 40k a year.  LOL!!!

Simple. I shoot at least once a week, minimum 600 rounds, times 52 weeks is 31,200 rounds. Add 2-3 matches a month avg 200 rounds each. It adds up quickly.  Spend time reloading or shooting. Easy choice for me. 

22 hours ago, GregJ said:

Simple. I shoot at least once a week, minimum 600 rounds, times 52 weeks is 31,200 rounds. Add 2-3 matches a month avg 200 rounds each. It adds up quickly.  Spend time reloading or shooting. Easy choice for me. 

I swear your hands must be like blocks of steel to shoot at least 600 rounds a week.  I'm guessing that isn't all in one outing a week, right?  I swear sometimes I shoot my M&P .40c and put 100 rounds of factory ammo through it and my frickin' hands are almost sore and shaking.  So, I couldn't even imagine doing 600 rounds through it in one sitting!!!  LOL

Then again, I guess if I did it constantly, that I would build up a tolerance, so maybe I could do it.  Who knows.  However, I'm about to start my own loads of 40 with TiteGroup, so I'm wondering if it will shoot softer than the Federal Champion factory loads I normally use.  Anyway, sorry, getting off track of the OP's original post.  :blink:

32 minutes ago, R1_Demon said:

I shoot my M&P .40 - 100 rounds of factory ammo through it and my frickin' hands are sore 

Might be partially the difference between shooting factory .40 in a plastic gun, vs shooting

9mm at PF 130 in a steel SS that weights 40+ ounces ...   :) 

9 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Might be partially the difference between shooting factory .40 in a plastic gun, vs shooting

9mm at PF 130 in a steel SS that weights 40+ ounces ...   :) 

Mr. Jack...that's true too.  I did think about that.  When I go out and try shooting rounds in my XDm with the 5.25" barrel (even though it is still "plastic"), I have a feeling it will be a bit easier to shoot 100 rounds (even of factory ammo) than with a 40 compact.  I don't have very big hands, but even though it is a compact, it is still kind of small in my hands, so I still have to do a decent grip on the 40 compact to keep it under control with factory ammo.  Like I said, it may actually be better when I roll my own and try it in the compact for fun shooting. :)  But I'm sure the full sized 40's will be easier to shoot, not to mention my 1911 in .45 due to it being all steel. :)

26 minutes ago, R1_Demon said:

Mr. Jack...that's true too.  I did think about that.  When I go out and try shooting rounds in my XDm with the 5.25" barrel (even though it is still "plastic"), I have a feeling it will be a bit easier to shoot 100 rounds (even of factory ammo) than with a 40 compact.  I don't have very big hands, but even though it is a compact, it is still kind of small in my hands, so I still have to do a decent grip on the 40 compact to keep it under control with factory ammo.  Like I said, it may actually be better when I roll my own and try it in the compact for fun shooting. :)  But I'm sure the full sized 40's will be easier to shoot, not to mention my 1911 in .45 due to it being all steel. :)

A 40 even in something like a P229 is way harder on my hands than a 9mm. My P226 shoots easy and my CZ is no problem at all. Last week was 178 rounds at a match and a couple weeks before that was over 200 rounds. Only my legs were sore the next day from bending over to pick up brass. This Saturday will be over 600 rounds for me. So 600 isn't a lot broken up into a few days a week at all. It only seems like a lot when you actually add up the yearly total.

1 hour ago, R1_Demon said:

I swear your hands must be like blocks of steel to shoot at least 600 rounds a week.  I'm guessing that isn't all in one outing a week, right?  I swear sometimes I shoot my M&P .40c and put 100 rounds of factory ammo through it and my frickin' hands are almost sore and shaking.  So, I couldn't even imagine doing 600 rounds through it in one sitting!!!  LOL

When there is a major less than a month out I'll hit the range once if not 2 times a week and average about 4-600 a session. The Mark 7 on my 1050 makes it so I can just walk through the garage on my way home from work and hit start and grab gear and the ammo then head to the range. It spits out 40's like a champ. 

I also run a two process, one go through size and deprime. clean it. then load it. I'll let it process about 2500 cases in a sitting since the bullets are shipped in 2500 round cases.