Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nelson .22 Conversion Wide Body Mag Problem

BallisticianX

I have a Nelson Custom .22 Lr conversion on a 2011 frame. I am also using Nelson's 2011 wide body mags. After finishing the 2011 lower frame build specifically for this Nelson conversion I am having a feeding issue. The bullet nose jams into the 12 0'clock edge of the chamber causing a stoppage. This problem was happening regularly as well as rounds nose diving into the mag bodies front edge and hanging on a sharp corner. I determined the bullet nose hitting the mag body either hung it up or if it did roll over  caused the round to snap up to high thus jamming the bullet into the 12 0'clock chamber edge and sometimes higher than that. I then put a radius to that edge on the front mag body and it eliminated the nose dive stoppage in the magazine. It did not completely eliminate the bullet nose jamming in the chambers top edge, just lessened the frequency. Im sure this is still a magazine issue as the height the mag is held in the gun is per nelson spec. There are no rub or resistance points slowing slide motion down etc etc. Rather than to continue modification to the Nelson mags that I have my doubts about I am looking into other mags to see if this issue persists or gets cured. Before I waste more coin on this project I am interested in hearing if anyone has tried the Advantage Arms wide body mags with a Nelson and if its better or worse etc. Any previous experience with Nelson "feed issues" from anyone will be appreciated. 

I haven't used the Nelson mags, but I have used the Advantage Arms mags.  One problem with many .22lr mags is round stacking.  If you just pull the follower all the way to the bottom of the mag and dump the rounds in, most of the time they will not be properly staggered, ie... one round slightly left, the next round slightly right, etc...  There is just enough room in the mag for the rounds to stack 2 vertically with the rim of the under round overlapping (in front of) the round above instead of staggering.  If you load the mag by pulling the follower down just enough that you have to insert the round under light spring pressure they stagger and don't overlap rims.

The Advantage Arms magazines worked fine with my Marvel Conversion as long as they were loaded properly.

IMG_7134b.jpg

Have you tried to reach out to Nelson Custom?  They responded very quickly to me when I asked if their mags work with the Marvel Conversion.  They said it does not normally but they will make some modifications for it to work.  I have not really put enough rounds to say that it works or not.

I've talked to Larry, very nice guy. I have had this problem with this unit on two 2011 frames. The second frame I actually built specifically for the conversion. That way I could tweak it to work and not worry about disrupting adjustment to cause problems with a primary slide like my race gun frame. The mags are just touching the units extractor so seat height should be fine. No dragging of the slide to the frame, and no difference with ammo brand. I'm convinced the mags are too finicky with their geometry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well the Advantage Arms mags do not work with the Nelson unit. They sit too low for the Nelson and the slide will close and slide over the round. So my next question is has anyone tried the TacSol wide body mags in the Nelson?

I had the exact same problem trying to use two Nelson Conversions of two custom 1911 45 pistol frames.  Larry said the mags were designed for GI spec mag releases.  Even replacing the mag release with a "standard" height unit did not fix the problem.  I flied the release slot on the mag to get it to sit lower.  The mag would hit the ejector and cause feeding problems.  I continued to file until the mag lips just barely cleared the ejector.  Then the top round would not feed.  I finally gave up in disgust and sent everything back to Nelson for a refund.

I bought a Marvel Precision Unit 1 and have had zero problems with it on one frame.  I have zero problems on the other frame as long as I use their mags.  That frame has a mag release designed to hold the mags higher in the frame.  Brownells mags will not work with that release, but will with a "standard" release.

I have a 2011 I'm trying to use this on. There is no higher shelf mag catch available for the 2011. I also built this 2011 frame specifically for this conversion so there is no ejector installed on the frame in order to eliminate any problems thereof. The feed issue seems to occur with 10 rounds in the magazines, especially if inserting a mag with one in the chamber (10+1). I have experienced it with a 9+1 condition as well. Does seem to go away with 9 in a mag from slide lock or 8+1.
4db0a2f32c99ff15512debd6d657f32d.png

Why not try other brands of magazines.  I use GSGs and Brownells for my Unit 1 and GSGs and modified plastic mags for my Exo3.  The one thing I have learned is all 22LR mags will not work in all 1911/2011s.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Have you tried taking the magazine spring plug out, it will take some of the tension off of the mag spring. I have 2 Nelson units on 2011 frames and have about 30 mags, Some Tacsol most nelson wide body mags.

Huston

Dawson Tech Support.

Hello,
   Have you tried taking the magazine spring plug out, it will take some of the tension off of the mag spring. I have 2 Nelson units on 2011 frames and have about 30 mags, Some Tacsol most nelson wide body mags.
    Huston
    Dawson Tech Support.

I've tried to reduce spring tension by way of trimming a coil at a time. No change. I'm not sure what you mean by taking the spring plug out? The plug acts as the base base plate retainer....not sure if I'm visualizing what you mean.