Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Marines returning M45A1s due to Cerakote failure

ltdmstr

Anyone notice there are decommissioned M45A1s on gunbroker?  Apparently the Marines are unhappy with the Cerakote finish not holding up so Colt is now using Ionbond instead.  More on the subject here.

I got a chuckle from that but I think they basically sent the entire inventory back so anything that had never been issued looked mint still. I would have loved one that had the finish all scuffed up but wasn't spending 3k on them. I can get a nighthawk in that ball park

Heck, I think Cerakote is better than Ionbond when it comes to corrosion resistance, or at least that was my experience.  My steel gripped 9mm quickly rusted inside the micropockets during the hot Texas summer, even with the coating.  

They are not returning them because of problems with the finish. This weapon is being decommissioned because it is obsolete Plain and simple.

The Marines who were eligible to be issued the M45 have all converted to Glock 19 as primary operational sidearm. Well documented.

While a quaint gesture when it was designed, no professional in the community of its intended use would want a 7 round 40 ounce weapon - good god.

An awesome collectors piece and a real tribute to the 1911 however!!!

Edited by Chuck TLE

23 hours ago, Chuck TLE said:

They are not returning them because of problems with the finish. This weapon is being decommissioned because it is obsolete Plain and simple.

The Marines who were eligible to be issued the M45 have all converted to Glock 19 as primary operational sidearm. Well documented.

While a quaint gesture when it was designed, no professional in the community of its intended use would want a 7 round 40 ounce weapon - good god.

An awesome collectors piece and a real tribute to the 1911 however!!!

Not sure this is accurate.  And comments regarding the "professional community" may be your opinion, but I know plenty of "operators" who prefer 1911s when they have the option.  Glocks have problems as well, and certainly aren't the answer the military is searching for.  Most likely the Corps will follow the Army and switch to the P320.

Edited by ltdmstr

Not 100% accurate.

MARSOC made the jump to the Glock.

Recon did not.

The new Colt is nothing compared to the previous issue MEUSOC .45, which was hand-built by Marines.  New Colt guns finish was falling off when breaking them in.  Some were great out of the box and others were awful.  

Maintenance and complete cleaning on the 1911 during extreme use and exposure to the elements is needed more than on the plastic gun.  There are more and more fellas with little or no pistol background who dont care what sidearm they have.  There will never be a company that can keep up with rebuilding these pistols and do it with the attention the Marine Corps armorers once did.  My prediction is that these reasons will eventually lead to the 1911 going away for good in the future.  It is a crying shame.  

Call me old school, but a single stack MEUSOC gun is what I toted both in war and peace, even had one strapped in the delivery room when two of my children were born.  I would prefer it today and ask any recon Bubba who ran one will probably say the same   

On 5/16/2017 at 7:20 PM, Nathanb said:

I got a chuckle from that but I think they basically sent the entire inventory back so anything that had never been issued looked mint still. I would have loved one that had the finish all scuffed up but wasn't spending 3k on them. I can get a nighthawk in that ball park

Shoot for 3k you can get a like new NH and spend 900-1k on ammo..    There have been some great deals run across the broker lately on Talons.  

11 hours ago, superlifer03 said:

There will never be a company that can keep up with rebuilding these pistols and do it with the attention the Marine Corps armorers once did.  My prediction is that these reasons will eventually lead to the 1911 going away for good in the future.  It is a crying shame.  

Call me old school, but a single stack MEUSOC gun is what I toted both in war and peace

You might have had one of mine.

I was the SNCOIC of Pistol Section of PWS in 2000-2001 before I went on recruiting duty. I replaced SSgt Kitashima, and I do not remember who my replacement was.

All the 2112 armorers built guns in the side for beer money.  I lucked up and had two MEUSOCs built and an M40a1.  That was a ways back.  

56 minutes ago, chrisjohn said:

How did a complete MEUSOC gun make it into the wild, let alone the delivery room?

1 hour ago, eboos said:

You might have had one of mine.

I was the SNCOIC of Pistol Section of PWS in 2000-2001 before I went on recruiting duty. I replaced SSgt Kitashima, and I do not remember who my replacement was.

Last one I had was in 2006, and it was one of the newest ones with a Springfield frame and slide.  I heard those were the ones built for Det 1 that got sent to Albany.  Thanks for your service brother.  My current Limited gun was built by a former 2112 also.  You fellas do it right.  

I've never really thought of cerakote to be all that abrasion resistant.  Look at the cerakoted M4's  out there in sandy vacation spots that have it rubbed of the high spots.  I'm surprised they even originally specced it for a holster-carried sidearm. 

as far as the price goes... pff... 3k for a used colt?

5 hours ago, JeremiahD said:

as far as the price goes... pff... 3k for a used colt?

They're priced as collector's items, not something you're going to carry or use as a competition gun.  And if you think these are expensive, check what some of the rifles sell for.  How about $16k+ for a beat up XM-3, or $36k+ for an M40.

3 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

They're priced as collector's items, not something you're going to carry or use as a competition gun.  

I understand that, and meaning no offence but.. I'm saying pricing them as "collectors items" makes (really) no sense, considering what they are: used colts.  I think Polymerfeelsweird's comment hits the nail more on the head (reject guns being sold for custom high end 1911 prices).  to each his own I guess, but its not like these are armorer built guns or used in any historical event, they're just off the shelf colts with a barcode and stamping that the buyer chose to send back.

I evidently just dont understand the colt collectors market well enough to appreciate $2500 for what they are.

Me, I'll wait to see if the 1911's the CMP has get approved for release.