Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 Users... Primer detonation?

I've had 2 detonations (single primer thankfully).  Both from trying to crush a primer into a pocket that had a ringer in it.  I've since learned to feel it during swaging and it hasn't happened again.

46 minutes ago, tyler2you said:

I've had 2 detonations (single primer thankfully).  Both from trying to crush a primer into a pocket that had a ringer in it.  I've since learned to feel it during swaging and it hasn't happened again.

Same. 2 Single primer detonations because of ringers. Nothing on the press was damaged, got lucky. I wear eyes and ears while loading.

Now I run an Ammobot. I pre-process everything, then run the primer pocket probe on the loading pass.

Edited by DWFAN

Primer pocket probe is a great safety sensor.  Running same on the Mark 7.  In my case I don't pre-process so the sensor is even more important.

I used to run the ammobot w/ no sensor and can't believe I didn't light off a primer when brass would make it to the primer station with the old primer still on board.  If I didn't have the sensor, I definitely would pre-process.

Fairly new with the 1050 (loaded ~8K rounds 9mm) but have never had a primer detonation... hope I did not just jinx myself.   I have loaded more than 80K rounds on a hornady LNL AP and have never had a single primer detonation issue.. so hopefully it shows its a rather minimal occurrence and or I have not F'ed up too badly over the years.....:)

4 hours ago, tyler2you said:

Doesn't the swagger get rid or detect a ringed primer pocket?

5 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: I have never had any at all. I have loaded over 60,000 on one of them and who knows on the other. If it does not feel right I stop and check everything out. I do not get in a race when reloading. Thanks, Eric

Same as here. I just don't have an experience with ringed pockets

A "Ringer" occurs when the end of the primer and the anvil come off during depriming, leaving the sidewall of the primer in the cup. This typically occurs when fired brass gets wet, and cannot quickly dry out. The primer cup corrodes, adhering the primer cup the the primer pocket, and weakening the end of the primer.

The swager will not remove a ringer. Often you can feel the swage rod bind against the remaining primer cup wall, and remove the offending case. It is scrap at this point.

I have three 1050s and have loaded I don't know how many tens of thousands of rounds on them since the mid 90s.  Mostly with Federal primers.  Zero detonations.

Edited by Tom Freeman

Twice in the same session on a 1050. It was one of my slow learning days. First explosion apparently was not attention grabbing enough but by the second I discovered the small primer 45ACP cases.

• 1 year later...
On 5/16/2017 at 11:50 AM, Chris777 said:

Fairly new with the 1050 (loaded ~8K rounds 9mm) but have never had a primer detonation... hope I did not just jinx myself.   I have loaded more than 80K rounds on a hornady LNL AP and have never had a single primer detonation issue.. so hopefully it shows its a rather minimal occurrence and or I have not F'ed up too badly over the years.....:)

Well.. it finally happened... Had 2 primer tubes go boom. more like a loud snap.  A case made it to the primer station with the original primer still in.  The first time around i just missed it.  Didn't really notice any difference in how the press felt when I cycled the handle, but pop.. there she went with primer rod shooting up at the ceiling and leaving me a bit startled...

The first time this happened when I bent my Lee under size die for 9mm  the primer punch rod.  I didn't have a spare, so I installed the Dillon decapping and sizing die. Was back up and running in no time and about 200 rounds later bang, pop.  I blew the entire stack of primers and put a hole in the aluminum inner primer tube.  Had to replace the plastic primer follower rod as well since that shot up and hit the ceiling.   I replaced all the damaged parts ( the inner small primer tube that is inside the steel safety shield) and cleaned up the burnt primers and primer shuttle.  Was back up and running in about  30 minutes.  Was reloading again and at about 200 rounds later, another case with the primer still in, got into the primer station and blew the primer tube up again.  I was now done.. no more spare parts.. The second time was on me as I kinda of felt something was not right, but was going too fast and pulled the handle even though the voice in my head was telling me something was off. 

Not sure if it was a batch of bad luck or had something to do with switching to the Dillon de-cap sizing die.  The pops both happened using this die.  I had loaded around 20K rounds using either a Hornady or Lee undersize 9mm decap and resizing die and I never had this occur.  The Dillon die was set up correctly.  I have replaced all the damaged parts and have gone back to my Lee undersize decap resizing die.  

Going a bit slower now and looking for the spent primer coming out of the resizing station.  I have read that people have sanded or dulled the point of the Dillon decap pin to try and avoid the issue of primers popping back in or not being ejected.  The pin on my die looks pretty blunt at the end, so i am not sure if this was the issue or something else.

Anyway, reloading a bit more slowing now...

Edited by Chris777

On 5/16/2017 at 1:11 PM, dillon said:

A "Ringer" occurs when the end of the primer and the anvil come off during depriming, leaving the sidewall of the primer in the cup. This typically occurs when fired brass gets wet, and cannot quickly dry out. The primer cup corrodes, adhering the primer cup the the primer pocket, and weakening the end of the primer.

The swager will not remove a ringer. Often you can feel the swage rod bind against the remaining primer cup wall, and remove the offending case. It is scrap at this point.

Wow that's bada$$ that Dillon dropped some education. I learned something new, today.  Thanks ya'll!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

after more than 15 years reloading 9x19, 40S&W and .223 on my Super 1050 today I had my first blowout. luckily nothing bad happens besides some damaged parts on the press. Inner tube is blown up in the lower section, the little plastic piece on the end is vaporized, the black plastic rod which actuates the low primer alarm shoot out like a rocket and is totally damaged and the delrin piece which holds the case in place is cracked in two pieces, there were around 20 primers left in the tube which all bowed up. the wired thing was that all the blown up primers came out from the lower end and where all over the shell plate. should have done pics of it…

No clue what happened, maybe the primer was upside down or some how tilted. it happened during down stroke. I use Federal 100 also since years and never had single issue till today.

does anybody know where I can get spare parts, spend already some hours browsing thru the net but didn't found what i need...

cheers chris

On 5/16/2017 at 7:34 AM, DWFAN said:

Same. 2 Single primer detonations because of ringers.

Okay maybe it's dumb question time. What is a ringer? I've never a primer destination and I've crushed quite a few of them.

Edited by usmc1974

Okay maybe it's dumb question time. What is a ringer? I've never a primer destination and I've crushed quite a few of them.
It's when the spent primer corrodes into the pocket and only the top pops off when you deprime it. Usually because the brass sat outside for a while or someone wet tumbled and didn't dry the brass fast enough.

fcd675a469a087647eefe152739fe5f6.jpg

971805df0ed96bc67a187ac804010ab8.jpg

2 hours ago, usmc1974 said:

See the reply from Dillon themselves, a dozen or so above yours. They chimed in to explain it.

I don’t pick up badly corroded outdoor range brass, and since I don’t wet tumble, I’ve never experienced one in person.

To the originak poster? About 75k loaded on a 650. 10k on the 1050 I replaced it with. I’ve never set off a primer.

80,000 rounds or so on a 1050. 2 primer explosions.  One not so bad. The second one was loud.  The 1050 mechanical advantage is such you can overpower things.  I am a little more sensitive to any unexpected resistance. I use a regular decap/size die followed by an undersize die (40S&W Brass).