Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which optic is compensator tuned too on open rifle.

AKJD

1 hour ago, AKJD said:

If you are shooting open and using a scope on top and a red dot mounted at 45 degrees, are you tuning your comp for the scope or the red dot?

Yep the scope. The recoil mitigation matters a lot more on long range targets where you can see your bullet impacts than it does on hoser stuff. 

I'll add to the original question.  Which sight do you use the most and have you tried it the other way?  I find myself using the red dot more than the scope so why not time it to the red dot.  My set up is a Vortex 2.5-10 with BDC and a Burris Fastfire 3 zeroed at 50.  I can hit pretty good out to 100 with it and we don't see many long range stages, never past 300. 

7 hours ago, AKJD said:

I'll add to the original question.  Which sight do you use the most and have you tried it the other way?  I find myself using the red dot more than the scope so why not time it to the red dot.  My set up is a Vortex 2.5-10 with BDC and a Burris Fastfire 3 zeroed at 50.  I can hit pretty good out to 100 with it and we don't see many long range stages, never past 300. 

If you were coming this weekend you could shoot to 400.

I wondered this same thing a few years back. But when I looked at all the open shooters rifles I realized everyone had abandoned the offset RDS in favor of a good 1-6 or 8x optic as the only sighting system.  

On 5/16/2017 at 4:27 AM, TonytheTiger said:

I wondered this same thing a few years back. But when I looked at all the open shooters rifles I realized everyone had abandoned the offset RDS in favor of a good 1-6 or 8x optic as the only sighting system.  

Everyone I know that runs open (including me by the way) has both a good 1-6 or 1-8 and  an off set red dot. Its far faster to got from close targets to far targets that are spaced close together by flipping the rifle to its side and using the RDS vs using a throw lever on the scope.  Even tac guys are running off set irons. 

Edited by Alaskapopo

43 minutes ago, Alaskapopo said:

Everyone I know that runs open (including me by the way) has both a good 1-6 or 1-8 and  an off set red dot. Its far faster to got from close targets to far targets that are spaced close together by flipping the rifle to its side and using the RDS vs using a throw lever on the scope.  Even tac guys are running off set irons. 

Same here in MO.

46 minutes ago, TonytheTiger said:

Must be regionally dependent or something, all the tac optics guys lost the offset irons around here too.

Must be the stages you guys are running. Personally as a stage designer and as a shooter I like the challenge of having to go from short to far targets with little time for transition. 

My comp is currently timed to my scope on top but while practicing I started thinking about if it would be advantageous to have it timed to the red dot since close targets far outnumber far ones.  Since I'm fairly new to open I have always had it timed to the scope like I did when shooting TAC Optics, I never used offset irons.  When I have time I am going to try it with the comp timed to each optic to see which way I like best.  My hypothesis is that the compensator is of more use for short range fast shooting with quick controlled pairs usually done offhand than for slower long range shooting usually from a more stable shooting position.  We will see.

3 hours ago, AKJD said:

My comp is currently timed to my scope on top but while practicing I started thinking about if it would be advantageous to have it timed to the red dot since close targets far outnumber far ones.  Since I'm fairly new to open I have always had it timed to the scope like I did when shooting TAC Optics, I never used offset irons.  When I have time I am going to try it with the comp timed to each optic to see which way I like best.  My hypothesis is that the compensator is of more use for short range fast shooting with quick controlled pairs usually done offhand than for slower long range shooting usually from a more stable shooting position.  We will see.

I think up close it really does not matter. Heck I shot my PCC which has a lot more bounce and still managed to win that short range match last winter. I think the comp comes in to play from strings of targets at more distance from less than ideal positions. But I am all for your experiment. 

Edited by Alaskapopo