Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slug a barrel

rondog

Buy a soft lead bullet, or go to Dardas Bullets and buy a pkg. of their barrel slugs.  Buy a wooden dowel that just fits into the bore.  Drop the slug/bullet into the chamber, then tap it through the barrel with the dowel and a small hammer.  Measure it with a micrometer.  If you can't do it accurately, you can send it to Dardas and he'll measure it for you.

Pushing a lead slug sounds reasonable. I have done it differently but it falls in the don't do it -can't recommend it- you'll get hurt category. 

I put empty cases in a molten lead bath (an Altoid tin, an attempt to equalize temps and avoid voids) and then filled the empty case with soft lead.That was seated all the way down in a case (Kaboom! Don't do it. etc) with just a primer in a 45 Colt. That large case needed more pressure so I used about a grain of W231. I fired it into a towel folded over about a dozen layers and measured the recovered bullet. Small cases with a deep seated heavy slug would build up more pressure and reinforce the don't do it thing.

Now that I'm casting 40s I'll be looking for detailed sizing info myself. I'll be making some slugs for the 40 soon probably using a tumble lubed style mold.

btw: I have soft lead and molds in .401, .41, .452-454. I could share slugs in those calibers.

slug barrels.jpg

Edited by meeesterpaul
add photo

For 9mm I flatten out a lead egg sinker (I fish so I have them, also probably cheaper than ordering a kit where available) til it is clearly over bore dia then lightly oil it and push it through with a close to bore size dowel.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Egg sinkers are the best/cheapest things I've found for slugging barrels. Buy ones close to the size you need or smash them to fit. Drive them through from the chamber end using wood dowells slightly smaller than your bore and your hammer of choice.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2017 at 3:27 PM, BobT said:

For 9mm, I use 36 cal lead round balls for black powder, and piece of wood dowel rod. Works well

I do the same, they are Soft and pure Lead... Pretty cheap for 100pc. 

Many Fishing weights are now Zinc, not Lead. 

For certain calibers I have pushed the ball through a Lee bullet sizer to get it closer to the needed size like 30 cal rifle.