Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Limited gun request advice

pc13

I currently own and shoot a Para Pro Custom .40 cal in USPSA limited division.  I am looking for a new gun cause I have a little cash to spend. I've been looking at the STI DVC limited in 40 cal and the STI Edge, but it's hard to choose.  Is there really that much difference in quality and the way a DVC or Edge shoots over the Para Pro Custom?  It's not that my Para Pro Custom is a bad gun I'm just looking to upgrade or am I just wasting my money on a new limited gun.  What gun would you guys buy for limited division?  Glock 34 is out because I'm looking for a metal or heavy gun. I've been shooting USPSA for about 2 years now.  Any advise would be great!! or should I order a new CZ Shadow 2 and just shoot Production Division and the leave Limited to my Para?

The first question that I would ask is... do you want to stay in Limited and invest yourself there or do you want to switch to Production?

If you are set on staying in Limited and you want the DVC, would you want to take the full bit and get what want and spend an extra 40%ish, or are you willing to settle for the Edge and spend the remaining cash on mags and gear for your new system?

I haven't shot either, so I can't offer any help there. If you know someone local that has an STI, see if they will let you give it a spin.

I think you would be frustrated will all the mag changes in Production, so I'd stick with Limited.  Your Para is already plenty heavy and probably a tad heavier than the DVC or Edge. You might have more magazine options with the STIs though.

I think the DVC is a great looking pistol, but it will probably shoot about the same as the Edge.  In fact, it really is just a doll'ed up Edge anyway.  If you stick with a polymer grip, you should be able to get a custom gun built by several smiths the days.  Look at Shooters Connection.  They have lots of CKcustom guns in stock.

Another question for you guys.  I know u can buy a Glock 35 in 40 cal and later buy a 9mm barrel and shoot 9mm in the same gun. Can u buy the DVC in 40 and later switch out to a 9mm barrel? with the possibility of the exactor too?  Problem in California is a new stupid law that all of our USPSA matches are going to 10 rounds. So no matter what gun you shoot were going to Limited 10 for all divisions.  The NRA is trying to overturn this law that will go in effect July 1, 2017.  This kinda throws a wrench in what gun I'm looking for. Limited or Production...

I own a couple of Akai custom 2011's great guns.

I shoot the para I had great.

But for me it was the room on the 2011 grip I wanted, I've got big hands and the para squeezed it some.

If the para works, invest the money in components and get better with the gun you got!

I know! it goes against everything male to not buy another gun.

I'm one of the worst offenders of "lets get a new toy and play with it for a while!"

But that's not going to make you better at the game we play, proper practice does that

True that Jcc7x7. I'm a D class shooter, but I hang with the big boys in B class case I always screw up the classifier.  Ya probably a little sandbagging.  lol. but I really only joined USPSA for fun. It's hard to want a new gun, but the Para shoots good for me and no malfunction issues in 6 months. I was 2nd in limited last month.  Since the laws around here are going to 10 rounds no matter what gun or division your in I thought I would try Production class. It's a step backwards from Limited, but oh well. The DVC limited just looks like a cool gun.

12 minutes ago, pc13 said:

True that Jcc7x7. I'm a D class shooter, but I hang with the big boys in B class case I always screw up the classifier.  Ya probably a little sandbagging.  lol. but I really only joined USPSA for fun. It's hard to want a new gun, but the Para shoots good for me and no malfunction issues in 6 months. I was 2nd in limited last month.  Since the laws around here are going to 10 rounds no matter what gun or division your in I thought I would try Production class. It's a step backwards from Limited, but oh well. The DVC limited just looks like a cool gun.

If I lived in a place where I could only run 10 rounds mags, I'd give CZ Custom a try in Production.  About 1K cheaper than a 2011, and the rounds are cheaper.  No way, I'd spend the coin on a custom 2011 and then feed it 10 round mags.

Yup totally agree. I think you guys are right. Only a few of us in commie CA can get out of state guns because of roster. Thanks for your guys help. Guess I'll keep the CZ Shadow 2 on order.

One thing to consider is that while you'd be shooting Limited in 10 rounds starting July the Area matches are in free States. Unless you also wish to shoot L10 in those States I'd just get a regular Limited gun. Or you can just shoot Production with a CZ.

Shoot what you have for now.  With proper tuning, the Para will be softer shooting pistol and with the correct setup on your mags, you may be able to squeeze more rounds out of the Para mags, if you end up getting to max out the mags because of the stupid laws.  If you go to production, Trace had a good suggestion with the CZ, Tanfoglio, or maybe the new Sig.