Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does Anyone Lube their .40 Casings

Greg5611

Wow. This is the first I have heard of tumbling live rounds to get the lube off. I figured tumbling live rounds would be dangerous. How long do people generally tumble them for?  Do you do anything special or can they go in the same media/tumbler as your initial brass did to be cleaned?

I tumble my loaded rounds for an hour usually.  I use turtle wax in my media & they come out dry, clean, shiny & slick.  No adverse effects that Ive experienced.  Chrono results identical tumble or not.  

Edit to add I use dillon lube before resizing.  Used to use one shot but had issues..... Never will use it again.  

Edited by mlmiller1

9 hours ago, mlmiller1 said:

I tumble my loaded rounds for an hour usually.  I use turtle wax in my media & they come out dry, clean, shiny & slick.  No adverse effects that Ive experienced.  Chrono results identical tumble or not.  

Edit to add I use dillon lube before resizing.  Used to use one shot but had issues..... Never will use it again.  

Im curious, what type of issues with One Shot?  I've seen a lot suggest it, so I am curious of any issues. Thanks. 

I lubed as many others do then loaded them.  I had a high percentage of rounds that went off but were weak or soft.  Obviously some type of contamination between the powder & the one shot.  Blame is probably on me as I didnt wait a long period of time after lubing before loading.  Best I remember I lubed, dumped them in case feeder, filled primer tube, checked powder & started loading.  Would have been no big deal except I loaded maybe 1000 or 1200 in this session.  I took them across the country to florida for a major match & also to another major match here in texas.  Sure maybe I didnt wait long enough but why use something that you need to set a timer & wait before loading?  Or maybe it was something else in the lube caused the problem.  Either way it cost me several issues at critical times.  Gun goes pop instead of bang.  You stop shooting.  It was maybe 20 or 25 rounds.  Just enough to be scary.  Fortunately every bullet cleared barrel but its hard to be comfortable continuing to shoot after pop.  

If you do a search, you will find plenty of others having same issue.  Sure plenty of people have not had this issue & say its either user error or some other problem but I threw away my one shot, started using dillon & never had the problem again.  Lube, (no waiting for "long enough") load, tumble off lube, shoot with confidence.  No Pop.

It was very disconcerting I can tell you.  I am fairly ocd about my ammo being right & this was not.  You wont find anything with "one shot" on the label in my house.  Lol.  Dillon lube.  No waiting, no issues.

That's why you don't spray into a pile of cases; The lube gets inside the case. Spritz into an empty container, add cases and shake. Then put the pile into the case feeder. No lube will contaminate the inside of the case.

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

I use one shot and have never had a single round go pop instead of bang out of either my 45 or 9mm. I dump a couple hundred at a time into a plastic bag and spray around in the bag then seal the ziplock opening and tumble them around to coat. I dump them into the hopper within 5 minutes for loading. I've loaded rounds like this and shot them 2 hours later and I've shot rounds loaded like this 6 months later and haven't had an issue.