Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does Anyone Lube their .40 Casings

Greg5611

I use Dillon lube on all my pistol cases. Not because it's necessarily better, just cause that's what I bought. It makes an immediately noticeable difference in how smooth the press operates. I will always use case lube.

I fill up a large plastic bag with a hopper full of brass. Spray a light coating over the visible brass then seal the bag and shake it all up for a bit to make sure it's all spread around. Then it goes right in the case feeder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Absolutely, on all calibers I load. Press runs much smoother. I buy liquid lanolin and 99% alcohol and mix my own. It's way cheaper and works great. I use a 1:12 ratio of lanolin to alcohol while others 1:10.

I spray the inside of a large ziplock bag, add brass, shake it up, dump and then let dry, about 10-15 mins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Spray a little Dillon lube in a bag, put 100 cases in and shake it around.

I let it dry for couple hours before I reload.

Shouldn't get scratches on cases - how old is your sizing die?

Dillon sizing die is a little over a year old.  I've run maybe 5,000 rounds through the die.  Do you wipe the lube off prior to shoot?

Thanks

I lay the empty cases in an old cake pan so all the open ends are not exposed to the sprayed lube.  I use Dillon case lube and put a couple of pumps of the sprayer on the cases in the pan.  Roll them around buy hand and let them dry for the five minutes it takes to get evnerything else ready.  I don't have a case feeder on my 550 so I hand feed them into the press.  

After done one loading I might tumble them for 15 minutes to clean the lube off 

Plastic shoe box ,full blue reloading bin,

Dump into shoe box. 2 squirt s of Dillion spray lube shake it, wait ten minutes, reload.

In tumbler about 30 minutes, go to range shoot

Some have had problems with one shot if they didn't let it dry. i.e Benos info

Lubing the cases will not stop any case that hits the ground from picking up dirt and grit and then becomes embedded in the case and in the die.

I wet tumble my cases with stainless steel media that scrubs the cases clean and prevents the cases from being scratched.

Polish the die with a snug fitting shotgun cleaning mop and J&B Bore Paste, automotive rubbing compound etc and a electric drill.

I always preferred bolt action rifles and revolvers, then my two sons told dad he needed to get modern. I then bought firearms that throws perfectly good brass away and makes you go look for it and I started scratching my brass and embedding grit inside my dies. This is when I started wet tumbling to scrub the cases free of any dirt and grit.

Edited by bigedp51

2 hours ago, bigedp51 said:

...I wet tumble my cases with stainless steel media that scrubs the cases clean and prevents the cases from being scratched.

Interesting, Dillon tech support has told me that wet tumbling cleans the cases so well that it causes  them to hang up in the powder die.

9 hours ago, tanks said:

Interesting, Dillon tech support has told me that wet tumbling cleans the cases so well that it causes  them to hang up in the powder die.

Yep, there's definitely some truth in that. The case lube is almost a requirement to keep the press from "jumping" when loading.

Pretty sure the saying goes:  "Once you lube you never go back."

I stated out tumbling my rounds to get the lube off. Now I just shoot it off.

One thing is the lube does dirty up your case feeder bowl and tube.  Doesn't really bother me though.

1 hour ago, superluckycat said:

Pretty sure the saying goes:  "Once you lube you never go back."

Are we still talking about reloading? ;)

Yep, I needed to load about 10 rounds to get rid of the primers in my press. Dumped 10 unlubed cases in to the case feeder. Couldn't believe how much more effort it took to size the cases. Never again.

Hornady One Shot.   I stand up hundreds of brass in a bowl, shoot a bit inside the case mouths, then spray a bit on the case exteriors.  It is fantastic and highly rewarding.

I fill a bin up with casings (~250), dump them into a gallon plastic freezer bag, spray it with Hornady one shot case lube for about 3 seconds, zip the bag shut and shake them around then dump them back into the bin.  I let it sit for about 30 minutes before dumping into the case feeder. This process seems to work fine for me.

On 5/16/2017 at 8:43 PM, bigedp51 said:

Lubing the cases will not stop any case that hits the ground from picking up dirt and grit and then becomes embedded in the case and in the die.

Must be serious dirt if you are embedding it into your carbide pistol dies... 

I just tried lubricating my brass this morning using a 1:10 ratio of lanolin to 99% IPA.  It worked Great!  My Dillon 550 press ran so smooth with no problems.  I also sorted my .40 brass for the first time (loading Federal casings) and got much more consistent OAL's.  Not sure if accuracy will improve with this (probably not); however, I did enjoy how smoothly my reloading session went.

I use one 12oz red ISO Heet with 1oz lanolin oil. I lay my clean 40's on their sides on an old pizza tray, & put one spray across them with a plant mister filled with the lube. I then put the lubed brass in a large bowl & use this to supply my 650 with case feeder. I usually lube about 1k at a time.

I use hornady one shot ina pump spray bottle. I find after it sits a day or so the cases are dry and if resized require as much effort as nonlubed case so I do not wipe each one after loading. Do others wipe each case off after loading?

21 hours ago, dogdoc1 said:

I use hornady one shot ina pump spray bottle. I find after it sits a day or so the cases are dry and if resized require as much effort as nonlubed case so I do not wipe each one after loading. Do others wipe each case off after loading?

You may want to start a new thread as I think most won't follow this one after this long of time.  I am tumbling my loaded rounds in corncob media based on replies received above.  I'm "assuming" residual lube may attract dirt/powder residue and gum up your gun?

I use Hornady one shot in the aerosol can on my .40 and 9x19 reloads to make it easier on my elbow.  I just put some cases on  a jelly roll pan and give them a quick spray. Then shake around a bit.