Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open G17 FTF

Broski

I've been getting more and more light primer strikes out of my G17. I have a Zev skeletonized striker and am currently running a stock striker spring. Everything I have found when searching is in regards to lighter weight springs. Thinking about ordering a 6 or 6.5 lb Ghost spring, but wanted to check and see what you guys thought. I've been shooting factory WWB 115 grain ammo, and also tested it with some rounds a buddy loaded that did the same thing. The load was 3.4 grains of TG 124 grain JHP and Winchester SPP. This is his production and PCC load, but I just wanted to see what happened with the primers. I don't want to thane to use only Federal primers. Help a fellow open brotha out.

What recoil and trigger spring are you running?  Glock springs all work in conjunction with each other.  With the lighter striker you should be able to bust any primer with a 4 lb spring, unless something is rubbing or slowing down the striker.  Check your safety plunger for interference with striker movement.  Make sure your striker channel is clean with no lube inside.  I'm running a IDP striker, 4 lb striker spring, competition safety plunger spring, 13 lb recoil spring.  I have set off all the major primer manufacturers including S&B.  You also might want to check out Johnny Glock on you tube, he has a lot of info on setting up triggers.

On 5/15/2017 at 6:28 AM, rooster said:

What recoil and trigger spring are you running?  Glock springs all work in conjunction with each other.  With the lighter striker you should be able to bust any primer with a 4 lb spring, unless something is rubbing or slowing down the striker.  Check your safety plunger for interference with striker movement.  Make sure your striker channel is clean with no lube inside.  I'm running a IDP striker, 4 lb striker spring, competition safety plunger spring, 13 lb recoil spring.  I have set off all the major primer manufacturers including S&B.  You also might want to check out Johnny Glock on you tube, he has a lot of info on setting up triggers.

I'm running open Minor right now with a carver guide rod and 12lb spring. The striker is a zev with their firing pin safety. Right now I have the stock striker spring in it. It also has a DEM trigger and extra power trigger return spring. I did disassemble the upper and cleaned the striker assembly and the striker channel with some hoppes. Tested it again and no improvement. Called ghost today and they recommended going back with the stock striker. I even thought about upping the striker spring weight, but that should not need to be done. At least not in my mind. Not sure what I am missing here 

had the same issue last yr w my glock 17 open,  im running the pyramid trigger and went back to factory striker spring.  also went to federal match primers(very soft)  goes bang every time...

the trigger also has the heavy spring in it. 

Get rid of the 6 lb trigger spring, they cause way too many problems for the little gain that you get.  What was the last thing you did when the problem started.  I've tried about every connector out there and the oem minus gives me the feel I want.  I've tried the ghost never liked them, but I don't know what that would have to do with no setting off primers.  Try backing out your overtravel screw, if you have too much overtravel it won't drop the sear correctly.

I'll try the over travel screw...I'm also wondering if when the gun was cleaned and lubed right before I bought it some of the oil got in the striker channel and behind the channel sleeve? Could that be a possibility?

• 2 weeks later...

Striker channel needs to be clean & DRY.  Hoppes is a cleaner & a Lube.  It leaves a nice oily feel.... not dry.  Use gunscrubber or non chlorinated brake cleaner.  Or rubbing alcohol.  Some type of solvent that leaves no residue.  This may not solve your problem but will keep it from compounding.