Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry Optics dying out?

Broncman

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I shot my first match in it a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it. I have a feeling that I will have a difficult time switching back. I have a feeling that the slow start had a lot to do with cost of gun or milling for optic plus cost of optic for a provisional division. I think it is starting to take hold and as more people dabble in CO it will probably cause it to grow.

43 minutes ago, blschultz said:

I shot my first match in it a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it. I have a feeling that I will have a difficult time switching back. I have a feeling that the slow start had a lot to do with cost of gun or milling for optic plus cost of optic for a provisional division. I think it is starting to take hold and as more people dabble in CO it will probably cause it to grow.

I agree. Now that more and more guns are coming optic ready the division will start to grow.

• 2 weeks later...

The prospect of shooting PCC and CO brought me into USPSA.  A local match near me seems to be going out of their way to screw PCC shooters with their stage design, so I may choose to shoot more CO going forward.  

3 minutes ago, RolexJohn said:

The prospect of shooting PCC and CO brought me into USPSA.  A local match near me seems to be going out of their way to screw PCC shooters with their stage design, so I may choose to shoot more CO going forward.  

How does one screw people over via stage design for one gun or another?

7 minutes ago, Maximis228 said:

How does one screw people over via stage design for one gun or another?

For example, putting targets on the other side of walls at an angle that is extremely difficult to reach with a rifle. 

4 minutes ago, RolexJohn said:

For example, putting targets on the other side of walls at an angle that is extremely difficult to reach with a rifle. 

Can you show an example of what you are talking about?

3 minutes ago, Maximis228 said:

Can you safely complete the course of fire?

Questionable.  On at least 2 stages I had to reach around the wall and shoot at the target holding the rifle with one hand.  Some of the guys had lasers on their PCCs for just such an occasion.  I didn't.  :( 

20 minutes ago, RolexJohn said:

Questionable.  On at least 2 stages I had to reach around the wall and shoot at the target holding the rifle with one hand.  Some of the guys had lasers on their PCCs for just such an occasion.  I didn't.  :( 

Can you provide an example?

2 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

Buy a laser if that will help, those types of targets come up, even before PCC was a thing.  The hole point was we didn't want the pistol matches to change to make it rifle friendly.

There is a difference between "this happens every once in awhile" and "suddenly, there are a couple of these in every match" or "every stage has something that is extremely difficult for one particular division that didn't used to happen so regularly."

I'm not saying that is what is happening here, I don't know.  BUT----indeed, sometimes those things showed up.  PCC shooters have to deal with them.  If, on the other hand, suddenly they are now showing up all the time, then that's a different issue.

(Speaking as a PCC shooter who does have a laser, because things like that DO show up sometimes.  At my club, stage design hasn't changed at all.  Some stages make certain divisions happy, other stages don't.)

• 3 weeks later...

I finally had an opportunity to shoot my M&P CORE today. It was surpringly fun to shoot steel plates at 25y with very little effort.  I'm anxious to shoot in a match now.  I was surprised that I never lost the dot during this practice exercise.  

• 2 weeks later...

As I stated in another thread, I shot my first CO match this weekend with a .40 XDm with a slide in dovetail mount and a Burris Fastfire. I really like it, and with 3 CO shooters out of a 40 person match, it is finding steam here too. My only problem was lack of dry fire to learn how to find the dot, but as the others posted here, clearing a double plate sinner rack was no big deal I will stay with L10 until the division is finally sent to shooting Valhalla, but I will shoot at least 30% of my matches in CO.

I also completely lost my mind and bought a Glock G34 Gen 4 MOS, (I swore I would never own one), and may move to that platform instead of .40 caliber. I will say I do not think shooting .40 in minor was any disadvantage at all other then losing 2 rounds.