Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry Optics dying out?

Broncman

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joey, I believe you are in squad 3. I am in squad 6 and would love to shoot same squad with other CO guys. I also have a first time shooter coming with me tomorrow. If we can get squadded together, I will shoot CO and he can shoot my PCC

Ken Messer

I understand the desire to shoot in a division that has more shooters, but I'll be looking at the guys who shoot Limited and Production to gauge my progress if there aren't enough CO guys (hell even if there are, I'll to at those other scores as well).

Being the only CO guy there won't stop me from shooting CO.
If I would be eligible for a prize, I can always decline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not about prizes. Just like apples to apples competition. 

In reality though, I shoot 2 matches a month. One CO and one PCC. Knoxville is the PCC match for me because the other place I shoot does not have a PCC match.

My first preference is CO, so if there were several shooters at ORSA in CO, I will probably go that route and skip PCC. 

I'll be switching from Production to CO about mid season. In my club I usually compare myself to the overall results anyway since we don't have much heat left in Production. I'm not going to let it stop me if I'm the only one in division

Great match at ORSA today. I shot in CO and might as well threw rocks! All my fault though. Gun ran great. I dressed way to warm and thought I was going to have a heat stroke!

Bald headed and wore a black hat. Should have wore shorts and dry weave shirt.... Got a bad headache from the heat and got a little light headed.

One of my issues is tunnel vision. I get so focused on the target, I do not even see the dot.... 

2 stages I do not even remember seeing the dot.... 

Terrible shooting on my part, but had a great time and got to shoot with a great bunch of guys and gals. 

ORSA puts on a top notch match. Can't wait to redeem myself next month.

You missed a good match. Jliew08 took second overall and tops in pistols shooting CO! 

Great mix of targets this time. Some pretty technical shots. Looked at my time, 13th, but the 13 misses sunk my boat.

Going to paint my thumbnell red next match as a constant visual reminder to look at the red dot.....

Edited by Broncman

I was going to give it a try next match, that was until they threw in a Texas star and a double spinner. No need to embarrass myself the first time out. With my eyes getting fuzzier I thought I'd try it out. 

Of course I now shoot in a crowded division, L10...lol..lol. so shooting against myself would not be a first.

Edited by mont1120

Thanks for the kind words gentlemen.

So yeah, shot my first match in carry optics, and it was a blast!  I am using a Glock 17 gen 4 with a Unity Tactical Atom slide.  

Last year I shot this gun in a falling steel match in Open with a Trijicon RMR and did well with it against the 2011s.  Got a Deltapoint Pro 2.5moa from a forum member and used that at the match this past weekend.  I like it so far, seems much bigger than 2.5 as some have mentioned before.  FOV on the DP is significantly better than an RMR.  I like that I am able to change optics with the Atom slide as the market changes are more options become available.

Hope to see more of you shooting CO!

I won't be able to make ORSA next month but I should have some trigger time with mine by the July match so I'll plan on joining you. Looking forward to the "beat down" I'll be receiving ha ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After this weekend, decided to stick with CO and forgo PCC. I really have to train myself to see the dot every trigger pull.

Also have to prepare for the heat at ORSA. There was a 10-15 degree difference between my house and ORSA Saturday. 

This sport is so addictive, hard to wait for next month....

I shot my first match this past weekend in carry optics and I really enjoyed it. It's a division I am planning to stay with it. I will to up my dry fire training so I can get my reloads smoother and pick the dot up quicker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our club has seen small but steady growth in CO this year.  I think that is due to the increased mag capacity, as some of the guys who have started shooting CO shoot mostly Lim or Open, but never shoot Production.

Jan - 3 of 52

Feb - 4 of 60

Mar - 5 of 67

Apr - 8 of 50

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2017 at 11:31 AM, pixel5 said:

I think the changes this year that removes the 10 round limit is going to increase the popularity, I am starting it next month. People are probably just now looking at which optic to buy.

It might. BUT in my case, it makes using a 1911 tougher .. if a typical string is 22 to 30 round, that's 2 reloads for the high capacity 9's (CZ 75's etc.) and 3 reload for the 1911.

10 minutes ago, MrDesertBrat said:

It might. BUT in my case, it makes using a 1911 tougher .. if a typical string is 22 to 30 round, that's 2 reloads for the high capacity 9's (CZ 75's etc.) and 3 reload for the 1911.

I am confused. I thought CO guns had to be on the Production list of which 1911 would not be for being SA.

Oh Boy.. sorry for the foolish posts then.. Rules:

A handgun may be approved specifically for Carry Optics division provided that the model of the pistol used is an approved Production Division model AND meets Carry Optics criteria. Any pistol that is not on the approved Production list, but meets Carry Optics criteria must submit a Manufacturers Declaration Form to DNROI stating that a minimum of 500 complete handguns have been manufactured and are available to the general public

the S&W 1911 is NOT a production division model.. looks like the CZ's will reign .. sorry for wasting folks time.

Well, I tried CO on my XDm at a steel match, and finding the red dot learning curve at speed is tough. Lots of dry fire is going to need to be had in order to be any good at this division. I did enjoy it quite a bit, and will give it another whirl soon.....but I sure do miss my L10.

Personally, Liked the Idea of CO more when it was a 10 round division. I think its just the same as Open Minor. Shot it once or twice and went back to SS.

I've seen the overall number of CO shooters at matches increase at the beginning of the year but I feel it was been level since then.