Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry Optics dying out?

Broncman

Looking through the ranks for the match this weekend at Oak Ridge. Only one out of about 75.... That's me. 

I know it has not been extremely popular here. Has the rise of PCC killed CO?

Looks like I will switch and shoot PCC this weekend. I really like competition and seeing where I shake out. Really like CO too....

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carry optics was dead on arrival in South Carolina, prior to PCC. I've seen matches with more lim 10 shooters than carry optics. That being said, I would like to put a dot on my p320 X5 for carry optics. I guess just compare scores to guys shooting limited major

I think it would be necessary to see if that decline is ocurring across the country before drawing any conclusions from a limited sampling. There have been a lot of changes in the division since it was introduced and perhaps these alterations are putting people off; The change to the magazine capacity drove up the price of remaining competitive, extended base pads for some guns cost more than the standard magazine itself, add the cost of custom springs and followers and a $35 magazine could cost more than twice as much.

I suspect that the magazine change will not be the last adjustment to the rules; I would not be suprised if they allowed aftermarket triggers and maybe even magwells in the near future.

True, adding a mag extension can double the price of a mag, but now you need less than half as many mags for most 9mm.

Hell, with 1 extended mag and 1 stock mag, I have 41 rounds available (42 if I just change the follower in the stock mag)

60 with 2 stock w/followers, and one extended.

I think it is still growing. Starting to see more advanced guys shooting CO. The more we see if that, the more lower class shooters will follow.

Still a ton cheaper than open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I do have a small fortune in magazines with the Dawson tool less baseplate and would definitely rock a magwell if allowed. I am geared up to shoot two matches a month. One at Asheville and one at Oak Ridge. Most I have seen at either so far has been 3 shooters in CO.

I plan to CO Asheville and PCC Oak Ridge. Although I really enjoy CO a little better.

At my club in Florida, we have a good CO crowd (mainly people who can't see their sights in our outdoor/dimly lit range.  We have 3-4 more guys just waiting to get milled slides back to extend their shooting.

Overall, while it may not be as popular in your particular area, I believe CO has a place to extend the shooting sports for some of the sight challenged people that want to continue to shoot but are tired of too many Mikes. 

Those same shooters also know that dropping $3-7k on an Open gun won't give them any more fun or move them up in the Overall standings.  They just want to shoot and hit what they aim at.

I'm not sure that upping the magazine capacity is a good or bad thing.  It does feel more like "Cheap Open" now, than Production with a sight that people can see and still use their reload and stage breakdown skills.  We have about 10% of our current shooters in CO on any given night.

I never agreed with "cheap/welfare open"
No magwells, no comps, production based guns, no frame mounted optics etc.
I think the decision to go to 140mm mags came from people asking for a 15 round limit (now ROs need to count to 15 to make sure they were legal?) or stock mag capacity (giving some guns a bit more of an advantage than others).
140mm mags helped level the playing field with parts already in existence.
Just throwing the dot on was too close to production, mag well too close to limited, and as mentioned ports too open.

With the change to 140mm mags, many have switched to CO in my area.  Some of them were M Open shooters.  If I owned any pistol that was Production legal, I'd give it a try.  I switched from Limited to Open two years ago, just because my old eyes were having a harder and harder time seeing the front sight.  Now you can shoot CO with a Limited stage plan with the added advantage of optics and no scoring penalties for shooting Minor.

Edited by zzt

Just from observation it seems like the numbers are creeping up or at least staying stable around here. It's not a big div at any local matches though, less than 10% usually more like 5%.

Whenever I get a decent optic I'll probably give it a go for at least a couple months.

I think the changes this year that removes the 10 round limit is going to increase the popularity, I am starting it next month. People are probably just now looking at which optic to buy.

Count me as another than plans on joining CO later this year.

The tricky thing about CO is that it requires a special handgun to shoot in it. I can take my glocks and shoot it as is in production or limited. I can't shoot it in CO unless I spend some money and get a mount or the slide milled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, fireman1776 said:

Count me as another than plans on joining CO later this year.

The tricky thing about CO is that it requires a special handgun to shoot in it. I can take my glocks and shoot it as is in production or limited. I can't shoot it in CO unless I spend some money and get a mount or the slide milled.

You could do that, but a gun that is production legal is not really competitive in limited. If you're just out to have fun, then sure... but if you want to be competitive every division should have a firearm tailored to meet the rules. 

its only dying because there have been no efforts by uspsa to let people know it exist..

Hell, I didn't know it existed until I saw Rob mention it in a Xdm OSP commercial on youtube a couple months back!

I shoot at a rather larger gun club with thousands of member. the number of people who are even aware this division exist is extremely low. the only way most people will know are the internet, and going to bigger state/national matches...

I would say it is going to die, but that is not accurate...uspsa just birthed it and turned it into a high school prom dumpster baby.

the bench

I wouldn't consider adding a $50 mount to a Production gun all that "special".
I spent more on mag upgrades.

Where can I get a $50 optics mount?

I really hope it picks back up at Knoxville. I really like CO. I run an XDM 5.25 with Vortex on Springer mount, Springer trigger, and Dawson tool less base pads. This thing is so fun to shoot.

If CO does die, I will throw on a KKM barrel , a comp , a magwell and go Open.

Keeps growing in my area.

Some of the good (top A and M class production shooters) are getting guns milled and optics on their back up guns, others are buying guns and setting them up.

We have 10-12 shooters out of 55-60 at one of the clubs, and a growing following at the other which hasn't gone outside yet due to weather.

Seems fun, I set one up for indoors, cause I don't like the noise of my open gun inside.  But went back to open last outdoor match.

Think it will go, especially with the folks who have problems seeing the front sight. Ultimately time will tell!