Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dedicated 2011 open gun for SC. Thoughts / ideas

Good day to all. Just hoping for some opinions and possibly a few suggestions on a dedicated SC open pistol. My current open gun for USPSA is in 9 Major, STI lower, and Infinity upper. I shoot as much SC as USPSA and have the itch for a new toy or upgrade. The way I see it I have a few options. 

1. Run current pistol in both games with same major PF loads. A lot of guys do this and call it practice for pistol matches. Easiest option but still not optimal for SC. 

2. Same pistol with modified load. I currently run MG 124g JHP's. Drop to 115's or 90 / 95's with same or slightly lower charge weight. My gun is at the smith now and I will naturally try this when I get it back before going any further. I think better than option 1 for steel but still room for improvement. 

3. Same gun with different barrel / comp designed for lighter loads. My comp for major will be a Cheely 4 port ( 2 vert, 2 horizontal ). Who makes a comp similar to this but with smaller ports designed for SC? I know comps need gas to be effective but one with smaller ports should still retain some efficiency with lighter loads. 

4. Complete upper assembly. Smaller comp / lightened slide. Seems like this might be the best "bang for the buck" option although at this point the buck is starting to escalate. 

5. Complete dedicated steel gun. Best option of course but with price tag, we have liftoff. Not ruling this option out, just trying to make an informed decision. 

I haven't said anything here new to anyone, just stating the obvious and hoping for some opinions from people wiser and with more experience than I. Please let me know comp recommendations, load data, and any opinions. If you have a dedicated SC open gun I would love to hear about your setup. The only powder I have in bulk is 3N38. I also have small amounts of WAC, 3N37, HS-6, & Accurate #7. 

Thanks to to all in advance.

I use my TruBor 9mm  for ALL pistol disciplines, plus Multi-Gun.    :)

Changing loads is the easiest/cheapest approach - use lighter bullets, with same powder charge.

Little extra velocity in SC doesn't hurt anything ....

Except if the venue has a max velocity limit. I have been to a few matches over the years where they had a speed limit of 1350 FPS. Turned out my STI 9x23mm racegun would usually choke on anything that slow as Greg Jordan can attest to. No combination of springs would make it function 100% at or near 1300 FPS. One reason being is my home club has such a velocity limit. So now I use a G34, ported barrel, and an RMR, which at one time was my 3-gun pistol and use over the counter 9mm ammo in it (also have a setup for Limited and CO using the same gun and different slide/barrel combos). Can't shoot it quite as fast as the STI but I never have to eat any problems either.

I would spring for changing loads in your case. I did develop lighter 9x23 loads for a Limited Bul M-5 IPSC gun I have.

I tried shooting the same open gun in USPSA (major) and SC (minor).  The aggravating point was the change in point of impact between the minor and major loads.  The minor load shot about 3 -4 inches to the left of the major load.  Also, I would change recoil springs for each load: 9# recoil spring for major and a 7# for minor.  I would have to make a special trip to the range to re-sight it in before the two different matches.

I finally just bought an identical gun and set it up for minor loads only.  

I currently shoot my Open gun for SC.  At 172PF I'm at a disadvantage.  My main Open gun will not run anything under Major without choking.

I've decided the best approach is to build a dedicated SC gun, so that is exactly what I am doing.  It will be a 1911 9mm with a Truebore barrel and a significantly lightened slide.  I'll use 90 to 115gr bullets and shoot Open with it.  I'll also use the lower for RFPO by sliding my custom 22LR upper on it.  I can build a custom 1911 for a lot less than a 2011.  Since I don't need mag capacity for SC, it makes sense.

I started out with the mindset I'd buy a pistol or two and use them for everything.  It works, but is sub-optimal for everything.  SO now I have a dedicated 45 for Bullseye.  I have a dedicated 22 upper for bullseye.  I have a 45 used only for games and competitions, and a race 22 upper for it.  My old Limited gun, a CZ TS, is now used for outlaw matches, pins, plates, etc. where shooting Minor carries no penalties.  I use my two Open guns for USPSA.  One is a backup.  My  old Buckmark race gun is now my wife's plinker.  I like it better this way.  I just pick up the gun designed for the comp/game I'm going to shoot and run with it.  I don't have to worry about different POIs, resighting in, or anything.  Just bring the right gun and the right ammo.