Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scratching brass casings with Dillon .40 sizing die

Greg5611

I've just recently starting scratching my .40 caliber brass casings in the de-priming/prime/sizing station on a Dillon 550 re-loading press.  I had not noticed this until after I loaded maybe 7,000 rounds through the die.  I will disassemble the die and cleaned it but it gets fouled with brass shavings and starts scratching (horizontal up and down the case) the cases after about 50 rounds of reloading.  I thought of trying to lube the casings; however, I didn't think you needed to do that for handgun loads?  If I need to lube cases, can someone share the process in which this is done?  I'm sorry for the stupid questions but I'm stumped and it's really slowing my reloading process down having to disassemble the die every 50 rounds or so.

Thank you for any help.

If it's not coated you can split a dowel and put a strip of fine emery in it then chuck it in a drill. And spin it in the die to polish it. Don't think it would work on carbide though. 

When had scratches it was a  cracked carbide ring and Dillon gave me a new die. Call Dillon.

Oh, and start using lube no matter what you read or hear.