Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using 5.2 Gr Win 231 to hit Major

Greg5611

I'm relatively new to reloading and I'm 0.1 gr above the recommended maximum for Win 231 loading 5.2 grains into a .40 cal cartridge and a 180 gr Berry's RS bullet.  I'm trying to achieve Major PF and I'm loading for a STI Edge with a target OAL of 1.170.  I'm thinking I can safely get away with loading at the max or slightly above since I'm loading long at 1.170 vs. the specified target of 1.125; however, I want to make sure.  I've chrono'd this load and I'm getting a range of 903 fps to 971 fps.  Thoughts/suggestions?   Any STI loaders with successful recipes willing to share?

Thank you...

I've run a similar load (5.2 gn of HP-38, which is the same as W-231) through an M&P40FS and it chronos around 925 - 950 fps using a 180 gn plated RNFP bullet.  I get similar speeds using a 180 gn JHP.  Admittedly, my barrel is only 4.25" (compared to your STI at 5") but I'm also loading them shorter at around 1.130" COAL.  And I'm seeing no pressure signs at this length.  So your results seem to be in the ballpark to me.

Sorry, not STI info... but you may find it interesting.

I'm not sure if your married to the Berry's bullets, but I get 171 PF with 4.7gr W231 under a coated 180gr Acme TC seated to 1.123" COAL, which is well below the max load.

That's out of my 5.25" XDm and I usually see single digit stddevs from 10 or 20 shots over the chrono.

It's right on 165 PF out of my 5" Rock Island hicap, so I'll have to bump it a tenth or two.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
On 5/14/2017 at 10:41 AM, Greg5611 said:

I'm relatively new to reloading and I'm 0.1 gr above the recommended maximum for Win 231 loading 5.2 grains into a .40 cal cartridge and a 180 gr Berry's RS bullet.  I'm trying to achieve Major PF and I'm loading for a STI Edge with a target OAL of 1.170.  I'm thinking I can safely get away with loading at the max or slightly above since I'm loading long at 1.170 vs. the specified target of 1.125; however, I want to make sure.  I've chrono'd this load and I'm getting a range of 903 fps to 971 fps.  Thoughts/suggestions?   Any STI loaders with successful recipes willing to share?

Thank you...

Sounds like we are having the same experience as I just posted separately that my spreads is getting me confused if I should load higher to ensure that the lowest velocities would not go below the desired power factor.

1 hour ago, jimbullet said:

if I should load higher to ensure that the lowest velocities would not go below the desired power factor.

That's the way I always do it - with a larger sample of shots - I fire 20 rounds and like them ALL to make PF   :)