Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Speed of visual walk thru

B_RAD

At what speed do you rehearse a stage? Do you run thru the stage in your head as fast as you can or at a slower pace than you'd actually shoot it. Or somewhere in between?

I've always done it at a pretty fast pace. About as fast as I can.  Thinking I'll be shooting it at a fast pace so why not run thru it mentally at a fast pace. Recently I've been trying come up with something that's gonna help with a more consistent performance. Not sure if running thru the stage at a slower pace is gonna help or not. My thinking is it may allow for better rehearsal of everything but when the buzzer goes off a person would actually pick up the pace quite a bit. (Trying to hit that 90% zone)

I'm trying to find that balance of speed between practice and match performance. I'm currently on the too fast side of shooting a stage in a match. Which I'm sure everyone here has experienced that works well sometimes but the disaster factor is way higher . I think it may be easier to pick up the pace rather than slow down?

Thoughts? 

Edited by B_RAD

I walk through the stage until I've got all the targets, positions, reloads, and the entire stage plan in my head. Then I will go through it at full match speed as many times as I need to, visualizing every shot on target

I don't usually go through the entire stage at match speed.  I do go through the entry and exit from each position at full speed to see what target to come in on etc... I also learned that this helps to see how much of the target you can see etc...  During a walkthrough once I saw that I could take a headshot from a position that most people couldn't, due to my height that would save me from having to go to a whole other position.  Problem was I was standing straight up and when I ran the stage I came into that position with my knees slightly bent in my normal stance and all I could see was about the top inch and a half of the head.  I had to completely stand upright to take the shot and just that slight variation threw me off a bit.  Oh well lesson learned and now I do each entry and exit at full speed like I said.  Once I do that I do go through it mentally at full speed as many times as necessary to get it burned in. 

Slow at first. Taking time on each target to ensure see what I need to and that I'm shooting the targets in each array in the order I planned.

Then full speed when visualizing up until the final airgun.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

The main thing with regard to speed is that you should not run it faster.  What I mean by that is, I see a lot of people giving about 1 second's worth of time in a position for a 4 second array.  Likely you will never get a full speed run due to people in your way, but at least try to do the shooting rehearsals as close to speed as possible. 

The next part that I try to do at speed is exits.  This helps reinforce the "explode out" method in my head.  

The last thing that I do at speed is some entrances.  Like Focker said.  Sometimes you need to see the view unfold at speed for decision making.  Sometimes you don't get low enough if you are not coming in at speed and can give yourself some false information.  

For the most part, getting the exact speed isn't as necessary as getting the motions, views, and stances right.  And for sure avoid rehearsing faster than you are capable of shooting.

When mentally rehearsing a stage I never thought in terms of time or speed. The goal was to visualize where each target was, where I would shoot each target, where to change mags, how to be positioned in each position, etc. However long it took me to see all that when visualizing was just the time it took me to see it. It would in no way influence the stage's actual shoot time.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Personally, I found that if I run the visual walk through nice and slow, with more attention to detail, I do better. The faster I do it in my mind, the worse I do. But I'm just a B shooter, so take my advice with a grain of salt...

• 4 weeks later...

I try to walk as slow as I can to make sure I'm rehearsing every step I need to do. Usually when the timer goes off that all goes out the window anyways...

However, I do think I need to be more mindful of where I need to hit the gas and sprint. 

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 10:19 AM, DKnoch said:

I walk through the stage until I've got all the targets, positions, reloads, and the entire stage plan in my head.  

+1.     I will frequently walk around the targets, outside the lines, to make sure I

know where everything is.   Takes me much longer for the walk thru than it

does for me to actually shoot the stage (and I'm a slow shooter)   ....

• 2 weeks later...

Too often you can see shooters running through a stage as though they were shooting it but they will just sweep across the targets instead of stopping on each one. It's kinda strange how that same thing happens when they shoot the stage. ?

We usually have 13 or more shooters per squad...  sometimes up to 20 at one range...  Some people try to make a full speed run through the stage, but there isn't enough room during the walkthrough.

I usually try to make a faster run when I am the current shooter and the stage is mine alone.

• 1 month later...

I try to walk through same speed as I will shoot it. I think it's critical to do this when I have a stage where I am shooting on the move. If I only did my walk through as if I were moving & shooting targets with .10 splits and transitions, then my actual stage run will off with me hitting the brakes to keep from overrunning targets. Or if I practiced it half speed, I would likely run the move & shoot portions too conservatively. .

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...

I find all the targets first, plan my route, and plan my reload location.  I then focus on movement in and out of shooting locations.  I rarely run the full course of fire at 100% speed during the walk through.

On 10/10/2018 at 8:18 PM, DJD said:

I find all the targets first, plan my route, and plan my reload location.  I then focus on movement in and out of shooting locations.  I rarely run the full course of fire at 100% speed during the walk through.

This is how I do it now. 

It's funny how stuff changes the more experience you get. I now realize that what I know now is different from I knew last year and I'll know more next year. 

On 10/10/2018 at 9:18 PM, DJD said:

This is what I do, too...  Especially if I'm the first shooter!

Nothing worse than finishing up a stage and having everyone yell out "You missed one."

You’re probably on the right track. During the official “walk through” you might only get to run through your plan a few times, so visualization is a very useful tool.

It’s probable that I don’t have the right answer, but a good stage for me usually boils down to being really focused in my visualizations and then programming it deeply enough that I’m not consciously thinking while I shoot. My visualization is usually more about detailing each step in my head and trying to be “in the moment” as much as possible. Everything from how the gun feels in my hand as I draw to where on the target I want to see the front sight. I’ve never thought about the speed of my visualization. On a stage with a higher hit factor I’ll really focus on grip, transitions, how quickly I can shoot targets... the same stuff I focus on for a low hit factor stage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 5/16/2017 at 4:39 PM, benos said:

When mentally rehearsing a stage I never thought in terms of time or speed. The goal was to visualize where each target was, where I would shoot each target, where to change mags, how to be positioned in each position, etc. However long it took me to see all that when visualizing was just the time it took me to see it. It would in no way influence the stage's actual shoot time.

Adrenaline from match pressure always seems to push me faster once the buzzer goes off.   I've always thought I needed to slow down while prep'ing.  At the beep just go to auto pilot and what will be is what will be.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

@Focker I agree with you. Additionally, if you have your stage plan to the point it's memorized and setups are all planned everything seems to be much smoother. Once the beep goes off you're pretty much in auto pilot if your stage is memorized. Now just see the sights and pull the trigger. 

• 2 weeks later...

When mentally rehearsing a stage,  now I will visualize or realize the most important details :  the aming zone (not brown not A zone) for each targets, see (visualize) the magwell at the reload, visualize which targets are diffucult may get a mike or no shoot, rehearse more careful trigger press on these targets. 

Edited by highhope