Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sps 170mm mag wont work

billdozer

I bought one of the sps 170 mags. Wouldnt work from the get go. Tried tuning it with the dawson kit specs, still no go. Threw a grams spring and follower in it, won't work either. Anyone got some magic dust or special sauce i can rub on this turd?

Was it Bevin that used SPS tubes for his mag builds? There are some folk out there who can make it run, the question is whether or not its worth the coin...

1 hour ago, wgj3 said:

Was it Bevin that used SPS tubes for his mag builds? There are some folk out there who can make it run, the question is whether or not its worth the coin...

Yup. They work just fine.

Since SPS tubes are generally "softer" metal than sti, svi or mbx they don't tend to keep their shape as long.  I had two that ran perfect for two years (Grams internals and bp's, tube dimensions tuned properly) until one day they would not feed reliably anymore.  Did everything possible to make right again, they do now run but I'll only use them for practice.  

6 hours ago, Glk21C said:

Since SPS tubes are generally "softer" metal than sti, svi or mbx they don't tend to keep their shape as long.  I had two that ran perfect for two years (Grams internals and bp's, tube dimensions tuned properly) until one day they would not feed reliably anymore.  Did everything possible to make right again, they do now run but I'll only use them for practice.  

The metal properties is why Beven likes them.

Edited by ChuckS

I have a couple as extra mags (2 170s and a 140). Ive actually so far found them very reliable. I did fit one of the 170s with grams spring and follower but their factory followers are not bad. I have heard their factory springs don't last so long in the 170s. 

One of mine has slightly tight feed lip dimensions but I tried it first and it runs well.