Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tablet for Practiscore?

Looking for an affordable tablet good of Practiscore use.  To be used outdoors.  Screen hopefully won't be too glary in sun.  Doesn't overheat too easily.  Somewhat tough enough to be carried in a range bag.  Good battery life.  Reliable.  Durable.  No problems with synching.  Etc.

What would you guys recommend?  What models have you guys used and how did it go?

Thanks.

(Note: Wasn't getting relevant hits on this sub forum when I searched.  So sorry to the search Nazis if there are already a bunch of threads on this)

We have been using Practiscore since right after it's release. We started with an Ipad for a master device and several different android tablets and nooks (OMG the pain) as scoring devices. This year after a few problems with our older android devices, battery life was diminishing and we were having problems with syncing. We went ahead and bought 12 current generation Ipad mini's. What a difference! The scoring is lighting fast, the battery life is outstanding, and most importantly the syncing is seamless. My stats guy never has to interrupt the stage. He pulls into the bay with the router and can pull scores 30 seconds later. We will keep the older devices as backups giving us a pool of 30 devices to run a match if need be. But it will be a dire situation if we have to use anything buy an IoS device.

Scott 

On 5/14/2017 at 6:46 PM, sarnburg said:

We have been using Practiscore since right after it's release. We started with an Ipad for a master device and several different android tablets and nooks (OMG the pain) as scoring devices. This year after a few problems with our older android devices, battery life was diminishing and we were having problems with syncing. We went ahead and bought 12 current generation Ipad mini's. What a difference! The scoring is lighting fast, the battery life is outstanding, and most importantly the syncing is seamless. My stats guy never has to interrupt the stage. He pulls into the bay with the router and can pull scores 30 seconds later. We will keep the older devices as backups giving us a pool of 30 devices to run a match if need be. But it will be a dire situation if we have to use anything buy an IoS device.

Scott 

Aren't the iPad's (mini's too) harder to see outside, especially when bright sun?

On 5/19/2017 at 5:11 PM, Glk21C said:

Aren't the iPad's (mini's too) harder to see outside, especially when bright sun?

Nothing is easy to see in bright sun. We bought a bunch of the Practiscore shades for sunny days. The ease of use and syncing is what cemented the decision for us.

My only experience is with using different tablets for scoring and not actually setting them up. I enjoy the ipad mini the best for scoring purposes. However, that is the hardest one to see in the sun. Practishades help.

3 hours ago, euxx said:

Out of curiosity, were those syncing issues reported to support@practiscore.com ?

No because it was not a PS issue. The tablets in question kept losing WiFi connection. I suspect one to many drops. 

Scott 

I see. The way you said it sounded like PS issue on Nooks...

Different router might solve issue, though usually you sync few times a day most, unless there is a range-wide wifi, so reconnect to wifi before sync is more like an annoyance (tap battery icon, turn wifi off and then on).

We use fired as well. Sync pre match using my truck hot spot or phone hotspot. If anything gets scrambled both are close by to get a new sync. I've been considering a battery operated router lately. I also use an iPad as my master. 

The fires are cheap last a long time and run PractiScore natively. Not much you can ask for 

So what is its claim to fame, just being a cheap color tablet that can run Practiscore?    The last time I went through this process I came to the conclusion that the Nexus 7 2013 was the best mix of battery life, screen quality, screen brightness, and performance.

41 minutes ago, adamge said:

So what is its claim to fame, just being a cheap color tablet that can run Practiscore?    The last time I went through this process I came to the conclusion that the Nexus 7 2013 was the best mix of battery life, screen quality, screen brightness, and performance.

Nexus 7 was at near $200. The modern Nexus 7 incarnation would be ASUS MeMo Pad 7" but those are stuck with Android 4 and ASUS now only making tables with Intel CPUs - not ideal for the battery life and it lost NFC.

The Kindles 7 and 8HD are $49.99 and $89.99. Both of them are often on sale, so even cheaper.

The next favourite is Samsung Tab A (and previous models Tab 4 and Tab 3, NOT the Lite ones) - brighter screen and better battery now on sale at BestBuy and Amazon for under $120.

See my notes on Android devices at https://practiscore.com/blog/android-tablets/

Coincidentally I won a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 7.0" 8GB (Wi-Fi), White SM-T280.  I haven't used it for practiscore but I quickly discovered that its performance is horrendous.  Painful to use, and screen sucks.  The old N7 2013 blows it away.

I was able to find N7 2013 refurbished on ebay in quantity a couple years ago. Now I'm not seeing them.  I suppose I'll try the Kindle/Fires next.

4 hours ago, adamge said:

Coincidentally I won a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 7.0" 8GB (Wi-Fi), White SM-T280.  I haven't used it for practiscore but I quickly discovered that its performance is horrendous.  Painful to use, and screen sucks.  The old N7 2013 blows it away.

Likely that was a Tab A Lite. It also helps to disable all Google and Samsung apps and turn off Sync - helps with performance and saves battery too.

I got a Fire HD 8  a couple of days ago.  Played Candy Crush, read a couple of books, installed Practi Score, etc.  Didn't actually use it outside.  Was watching a video that was delivered for some reason by Amazon to the tablet.  While watching it it died.  No power.  Tried plugging it in with the supplied charger and it still doesn't work.  Oh well.

Anyways I think the HD 8 is a little wide for my hands to be used in the field comfortably.  I was going to wait until these Black Friday sales, but I'm going to go ahead and order a Fire 7 and return the HD 8 for repair/replacement.

7" is a great size because it fits in my back pocket.  Super handy when I am score keeper.

euxx, I don't think it is a Lite, nothing in the model number suggests it.  OK I went through and trimmed as much fat as I could find, I'll use it some more to evaluate.