Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Foot speed, general awareness

af220wa

I'd like to increase my foot speed and general awareness of where my feet are so I'm not always looking down for stage boundaries.  I tend to look down before I stop to see where to plant my feet.  What drills/techniques would help me?

A good drill for foot speed is "Call It and Leave It."  

The best way to stop looking down is to have a reference point that's not on the ground.  A pot on a wall, barrel, etc will serve as good reference points to know you're in the right position without having to look down.  

Also, your shoes should be thin enough that you know whether or not you're standing on the fault line. 

For foot speed, practice getting low and exiting positions explosively without shuffling your feet. You can do this in dry or live fire, doesn't matter. Use short strides when accelerating and decelerating to maximize the fraction of time you have a foot on the ground applying power or scrubbing speed.

Edited by Andreas

Get a speed ladder. Read up on some drills. This will teach you foot movement without having to look where you are going.

I find that those who didn't play sports growing up have a hard time learning how to move quickly and efficiently

On 5/12/2017 at 2:15 PM, Andreas said:

For foot speed, practice getting low and exiting positions explosively without shuffling your feet. You can do this in dry or live fire, doesn't matter. Use short strides when accelerating and decelerating to maximize the fraction of time you have a foot on the ground applying power or scrubbing speed.

Listen to him! He knows a thing or two about shooting well.  Just heard a quote for Rob Leatham yesterday and I'm paraphrasing, "It's not how fast you get there, it's how fast you get there ready to shoot".

On 5/12/2017 at 2:31 PM, Maximis228 said:

Get a speed ladder. Read up on some drills. This will teach you foot movement without having to look where you are going.

I find that those who didn't play sports growing up have a hard time learning how to move quickly and efficiently

Skilz makes a cheap speed ladder. I have one from my football days that I break out from time to time. Helps reinforce the short, choppy footwork.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey guys. New to the sport and even newer to the forum but I'm in the same boat. My shooting is decent but it takes me forever to get from one spot to another. I'm thinking of buying some wood for fault lines and setting them every five yards or so and doing some suicide type drills to help me learn to accelerate and more importantly stop. Any thoughts?

39 minutes ago, GrayR said:

Hey guys. New to the sport and even newer to the forum but I'm in the same boat. My shooting is decent but it takes me forever to get from one spot to another. I'm thinking of buying some wood for fault lines and setting them every five yards or so and doing some suicide type drills to help me learn to accelerate and more importantly stop. Any thoughts?

Pretty much any movement drill will lead to positive results.  Get after it! 

38 minutes ago, TravisNC said:

Pretty much any movement drill will lead to positive results.  Get after it! 

I support this.

I also noticed in practice that you can sprint as hard as you want, but if you're not exiting/entering your positions efficiently, you're actually losing time on your movements. 

Try different things on a timer, see how it shakes out for you.

I primarily shoot steel challenge these days. I can tell you from my experience shooting Outer Limits (many times) that entering and exiting the boxes are more important than the speed in between. What I mean by that is, if you exit too fast your feet will slip which slows you way down. Similarly if you entrr too fast your feet will slip which slows way down even more because then that messes up your shooting position as well as your rhythm.  If you have to wait for your body to stop and stabilize and them shoot, itnis is far slower than being in control and being on target and aiming when your first foot is in the box and possibly shooting before your second foot is even on the ground.  I would strongly recommend practicing entering and exiting boxes on the same type of groundcover that you shoot your matches on. In my case that will be semi-loose gravel. If the distance between shooting positions is only a few steps, then being smooth and in control is more important than sprinting.  

Im lucky I don't have a stage designer who's a runner but I've got one who likes walls way more than he should so I'm gonna need practice working around corners too. I did not expect to have this much to think about when I decided to try this game!

11 minutes ago, GrayR said:

Im lucky I don't have a stage designer who's a runner but I've got one who likes walls way more than he should so I'm gonna need practice working around corners too. I did not expect to have this much to think about when I decided to try this game!

You've got to be good at everything

On 5/19/2017 at 10:03 AM, SCTaylor said:

Listen to him! He knows a thing or two about shooting well.  Just heard a quote for Rob Leatham yesterday and I'm paraphrasing, "It's not how fast you get there, it's how fast you get there ready to shoot".

Another layer to the onion!  

On 5/12/2017 at 3:31 PM, Maximis228 said:

Are there any particular drills that anyone has found particularly helpful for exiting and entering shooting positions? Used ladders quite a bit playing tennis, but most of the drills focused on moving laterally. Any direction would be appreciated!

Set up two boxes and measure the distance between them.  Set up an exit target from box 1 and an entry target for box 2.  Again, note all measurements so the setup can be recreated and tested for improvement over time. Make this a repeated dryfire setup so you can do long term testing and then practice while using a par time. You’ll find things like which foot you leave with vs enter with makes a huge difference, along with whether or not you drop the gun for varying distances of travel, etc.   Then practice, practice, practice.  Remember that you’re using the two targets as a start and end point for measuring growth via par, but your specific practice is concentrating on the movement rather than the shooting, per se.  

Edited by jkrispies

19 hours ago, touji said:

Are there any particular drills that anyone has found particularly helpful for exiting and entering shooting positions? Used ladders quite a bit playing tennis, but most of the drills focused on moving laterally. Any direction would be appreciated!

This gives you a good idea. There is massive cross over for footwork from most main stream sports.

• 2 months later...

Look up some footwork drills for infield baseball players. Specifically the crossover first step. Efficiency in starting movement is critical. Don't take 3 choppy steps to get your body moving when 1 crossover step can cover the same ground YouTube has some good resources.

Those skills translate well to the shooting sports. They start from an athletic position, move effeciently in any direction, stop, regain an athletic position, and complete a task. (i.e move to ground ball, field ground ball, throw ball to first base)  

• 4 months later...

Great information and drill! I plan to implement some of what I saw on here. I read it best in one of the post it’s all about getting there ready on target. 

• 2 months later...

I  added  agility ladder and cone drill workouts to my training. It has helped with my quickness and agility.

I do the cone drills seen on YouTube  "5 Best Cone Drills for Speed and Agility" by Profect Sports. I do these as described in video full speed , and then with gun

stopping at cones obtaining sight picture and exiting  to next position.

I do the agility ladder drills as seen on YouTube  "13 Speed Ladder Drills For Faster Footwork & Quickness" by King Sports.