Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock II Guide Rod.....

MikieM

The Henning cone shaped guide rod for the Stock II seems to be a popular item. 

Although I bought one myself, how, or why is it better than the OEM guide rod?

Thanks, Mike.

As per HenningShop.com

The first experience of the problem came for me during the Texas State Limited Championships several years back. I needed to disassemble the slide from the frame to clean it. I was almost not able to get it off and had to use a gunsmith hammer to tap the slide off. At first I had no idea what the problem was and naturally started to worry. After a few minutes of investigation I noticed how the guiderod notch had protruded on the inside. No wonder why the slide was so hard to get off.. the lug of the barrel has to slide past this point. The solution was to take a file and remove the metal. Over the years you can see from the pictures how bad the notch has changed.

The solution was to create a new guiderod that didn't cause this kind of frame molestation. Using the cone shape part of the frame/slide interaction point, we created a cone on the guiderod to match. This has increased the surface area hugely and solved the problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, SoCalShooter69 said:

Tons of input on this, if you use the search feature.

That said, Patriot just came out with their guide rod. Seems to be the new hotness. 

I only use the search feature for important stuff.

2 hours ago, emjei said:

As per HenningShop.com

The first experience of the problem came for me during the Texas State Limited Championships several years back. I needed to disassemble the slide from the frame to clean it. I was almost not able to get it off and had to use a gunsmith hammer to tap the slide off. At first I had no idea what the problem was and naturally started to worry. After a few minutes of investigation I noticed how the guiderod notch had protruded on the inside. No wonder why the slide was so hard to get off.. the lug of the barrel has to slide past this point. The solution was to take a file and remove the metal. Over the years you can see from the pictures how bad the notch has changed.

The solution was to create a new guiderod that didn't cause this kind of frame molestation. Using the cone shape part of the frame/slide interaction point, we created a cone on the guiderod to match. This has increased the surface area hugely and solved the problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Thanks for the insight. 

• 3 weeks later...