Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LnL AP powder die

All,

I'm finally putting together my Lock-n-Load AP press tonight and I am at the point where I am putting the powder measure together for pistol and into the lower assy in the press bushing. I'm putting in the longest powder die it comes with, per the instructions (#20, not that I see it marked anywhere) and it says to face the deep countersink end up.  When I do that the powder measure is too high and doesn't seem to function. 

Now if if I flip the powder die around, the powder measure seems to work properly but part of the powder die comes out of the bottom of the lower assy die under the top of the press. Is this actually the correct way the die is supposed to be inserted?  To hang out of the bottom of the lower assy die?  To me I only see one countersunk end, so that was the end I was putting up. :-/ 

i just want to be sure before I continue. 

Thanks!

Pirate - Ok, thank you.  That's what I figured after playing around with it a bit, but I figured I'd ask here just to make sure and double check.

I appreciate the confirmation. :)  Personally I think they could have written the directions a bit better or marked the end better or something.  Or even showed a picture of the end that went up or down to ensure the user did it the right way.  When I really looked at it again this morning in very good light, I did notice that the one end is countersunk wayyyyyy down there and the other end is countersunk much, much closer to the end.  So, it is kind of deceptive because when I think aobut something being countersunk (a screw, for example), I think about it being fairly close to the surface, such as the "lightly" countersunk side of the powder die which actually goes down (as you said) and does stick out of the bottom.  The "deep" countersunk part does, indeed go towards the top powder measure, but upon quick look or not so great lighting, it really doesn't look like it is countersunk at all.  It just looks like it is straight cut on the end and only one end is countersunk.

Anyway, I think Hornady could have written better directions on this or told people they really have to look as both ends are countersunk, but one is shallow and the other is very deep.  :-/

Ok, sorry for the rambling...but thank you for the confirmation.  That is how I ended up setting it up and leaving it because it seemed to work properly, but I just wanted to make sure. :) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2017 at 1:35 PM, WarrenZ said:

Hornady has their press setup videos on youtube now.

When I got my press they were on a DVD but not everyone can watch them. I guess its cheaper than including a DVD with every press.

Thanks for the heads up.  I just checked my manuals again and realized I got a DVD with it as well.  LOL! I guess I set it to the side initially thinking it was either promo stuff or that I would look at it after I mounted it and forgot about it. ??

so I'll take a look at it and see what is on it even though my press is setup now. ?