Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P 9 4.25

DementedAntics

Was looking for info but was not able to find it. More so opinions but how far can one go in the sport of USPSA with an M&p9 fullsize? Bob Vogel has won many titles with his glock 35, and I was wondering if there were any pro shooters who have won titles or have competed in high level matches with m&p9. 

Farther than you're ever actually going to get. 

Hey, you asked.

Functionally, you already have your example; Vogel with a Glock. But in case you need to pretend that an M&P is somehow different look up sponsored S&W shooters who used M&Ps. Off the top of my head I think of Miculek and Golob.

You probably want to replace the trigger (Apex) and the sights - other than that you

would be very competitive, for years, with an M&P 9mm in Production.

In Limited, you'd be shooting for fun (I shot Limited minor for many years) and you

can get very good with it, but would have a distinct disadvantage over an STI/SVI

in .40 Major.

But, if you're not an A shooter, I'd give it a try - I think you'll Love It.    :)

I mean . . . I sure hope you don't feel insecure about your choice in gun. I remember my first away match was in the heart of ZEV country. I got a bit of ribbing, but we're all shooters at the end of the day so who cares?

I took my 4.25 to Area 1 and did okay for a c class scrub. Mental errors and MY skill level and lack of discipline held me back a bit, but I don't recall any major malfunctions. I think the biggest thing for any gun is reliability. My gun is pretty much as apexed as production will allow.

As for high level shooters: Brandon Wright was in the top 16 in production in 2014, but I think he used a Performance Center. That's better than most will ever achieve.

There are podcasts out there from high level shooters who tackle this type of question (metal vs plastic vs shooter . . . Kicking ass with a sh*tty gun). The general consensus was run what you like. And make sure it runs otherwise you'll have a tough time winning matches--if that's your end goal.

In case you're curious

Edited by Rez805
A1 vid added

57 minutes ago, JimmyBob said:

Farther than you're ever actually going to get. 

Hey, you asked.

Functionally, you already have your example; Vogel with a Glock. But in case you need to pretend that an M&P is somehow different look up sponsored S&W shooters who used M&Ps. Off the top of my head I think of Miculek and Golob.

Some hostility with this post. I was just asking if anyone shoots the mm at highly competitive levels. 

47 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

You probably want to replace the trigger (Apex) and the sights - other than that you

would be very competitive, for years, with an M&P 9mm in Production.

In Limited, you'd be shooting for fun (I shot Limited minor for many years) and you

can get very good with it, but would have a distinct disadvantage over an STI/SVI

in .40 Major.

But, if you're not an A shooter, I'd give it a try - I think you'll Love It.    :)

yea I'm relatively new to competitive shooting so I know the gun is plenty good enough for me at this point. Just wondered why I never hear about people using m&ps like I do the g34/35. 

18 minutes ago, Rez805 said:

I mean . . . I sure hope you don't feel insecure about your choice in gun. I remember my first away match was in the heart of ZEV country. I got a bit of ribbing, but we're all shooters at the end of the day so who cares?

I took my 4.25 to area and did okay for a c class scrub. Mental errors and MY skill level held me back a bit, but I don't recall any major malfunctions. I think the biggest thing for any gun is reliability. My gun is pretty much as apexed as production will allow.

As for high level shooters: Brandon Wright was in the top 16 in production in 2014, but I think he used a Performance Center. That's better than most will ever achieve.

There are podcasts out there from high level shooters who tackle this type of question (metal vs plastic vs shooter . . . Kicking ass with a sh*tty gun). The general consensus was run what you like. And make sure it runs otherwise you'll have a tough time winning matches--if that's your end goal.

Why would I feel insecure about shooting an m&p? I'm not sure I understand these passive aggressive replies. Seems to me that asking the question has triggered some people for reasons unknown to me. I was just wondering how well an m&p would compete in the hands of pro/great shooters. 

The 5" is closer to the G34/35 and a bit longer sight radius isn't a bad thing. Other than that, make sure it's accurate enough and clean up the trigger (apex part or whatever). By the time you're ready for more gun, this one will be worn out anyway.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, DementedAntics said:

Why would I feel insecure about shooting an m&p? I'm not sure I understand these passive aggressive replies. Seems to me that asking the question has triggered some people for reasons unknown to me. I was just wondering how well an m&p would compete in the hands of pro/great shooters. 

First, I apologize if that was the way the my comment was received. Definitely not my intention. I guess my combination of words is decidedly c class as well.

Bottom line: run what you like. I think we're in the midst of a big swing towards metal da/sa guns. I haven't shot one in competition. Small hands make for an awkward da pull.

Anywho, I hope you're not offended or discouraged by my crappy communication skills. I'll work on that.

9 minutes ago, shooting for M said:

The 5" is closer to the G34/35 and a bit longer sight radius isn't a bad thing. Other than that, make sure it's accurate enough and clean up the trigger (apex part or whatever). By the time you're ready for more gun, this one will be worn out anyway.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info. I currently have all the apex goodies in my gun and it's great thus far. 

8 minutes ago, Rez805 said:

First, I apologize if that was the way the my comment was received. Definitely not my intention. I guess my combination of words is decidedly c class as well.

Bottom line: run what you like. I think we're in the midst of a big swing towards metal da/sa guns. I haven't shot one in competition. Small hands make for an awkward da pull.

Anywho, I hope you're not offended or discouraged by my crappy communication skills. I'll work on that.

No worries. I was just a bit confused that I might have asked a no no question. Your comment about the da/as swing is very true. The reason I'm asking is because my i does have all upgraded to STI edges and CZ shadows now that they are getting into competitive shooting and I was wondering how well I will be able to compete with an equally matched skilled shooter who happens to get their hands on an STI or another high end 2011 or as/da gun. They all seem to be under the impression I won't excel as fast as they will for one reason or another. Maybe they are trying to justify their purchases but I can see why they think that bc I relarely see m&ps at recent events. 

Personal opinion but work with your M&P work hard on fundamentals discipline and stage planing. I'm a C shooter aiming for B in production this year. I have a friend invested in a high end limited gun before learning technique and he is struggling. My opinion spend money on ammo over technology and you will be a much better shooter in other divisions down the road for staying with the basics in production M&P's have been rock solid for me.

7 minutes ago, watlow said:

Personal opinion but work with your M&P work hard on fundamentals discipline and stage planing. I'm a C shooter aiming for B in production this year. I have a friend invested in a high end limited gun before learning technique and he is struggling. My opinion spend money on ammo over technology and you will be a much better shooter in other divisions down the road for staying with the basics in production M&P's have been rock solid for me.

Thats some solid advice. I would have been down for production prior to my apex install but I don't know that there is any going back now haha! The gun feels great in its current form. I suppose I'll have to figure out what division I'm going to shoot it in since I doubt I'll go back to the stock trigger. 

On 5/11/2017 at 9:58 PM, Rez805 said:

I took my 4.25 to Area 1 and did okay for a c class scrub. Mental errors and MY skill level and lack of discipline held me back a bit, but I don't recall any major malfunctions. I think the biggest thing for any gun is reliability. My gun is pretty much as apexed as production will allow.

In case you're curious

Is that you @Rez805

If you're wanting names, Jerry Miculek, Julie Golob, Randi Rogers, Doug Koenig, and Brandon Wright.

All part of the S&W stable of shooters. All have won with some incarnation of the M&P platform. Jerry, recently won the open division at a big 3-gun match using the M&P platform with I think a stock trigger. The other three have won Area/Sectional matches in their class/category. 

If you're looking towards the outside of competition shooting, Frank Proctor of Way of the Gun. He jumps platforms due to his role as a shooting instructor. But recently the M&P 2.0 is his flavor of the day.

**insert unwarranted advice about shooting what you like here**

Edited by Jayce

Here is why I like the M&P:

I can forget about it, but it will not forget me. What I mean is I can put the gun away for a time and come back to it and it's right on. I cannot do this with my revolvers. There is something to be said for the way it points and shoots for me. I can find my groove again inside of 200 rounds and be very comfortable and somewhat competitive with the gun. Find the bullet weight that the sights shoot to and buy a bunch of components and forget about everything but the front sight. This gun almost defies the statement that handgun shooting is a perishable skill.

The M&P platform is my handgun of choice for all applications - USPSA, steel, 2-Gun, 3-Gun and personal protection. I own several in .22LR, 9mm and .40S&W. These gun feel better than any other platform in my hand, pointing so naturally it almost seems that the sights are superfluous. It is hands-down the most functionally reliable firearm product I have ever used (and I have been shooting for 35 years).

The stock 1.0 triggers are appalling, so I replaced them in all of my M&Ps with Apex parts (DCAEK for defense & USPSA Production, FSS for USPSA Limited, steel, & 2/3-Gun). Accuracy with the 9mm variants can be hit or miss too, due primarily to sloppy barrel/slide/frame fit (again, Apex offers a replacement barrel that solves the problem). I hear the 2.0 offers improvements in both areas, so if you are buying new right now that version would be worth a look.

As a beginning shooter, the M&P will be more than adequate. It solves the Number One issue I see that holds new shooters back - it goes bang every time they pull the trigger, which definitely cannot be said for all platforms used in this sport.

• 1 month later...
On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 11:00 PM, DementedAntics said:

Thats some solid advice. I would have been down for production prior to my apex install but I don't know that there is any going back now haha! The gun feels great in its current form. I suppose I'll have to figure out what division I'm going to shoot it in since I doubt I'll go back to the stock trigger. 

Just leave all the apex goodies in and go back to the stock trigger only and you would be good for production if that is where you want to be. I made all the changes with still the stock plastic trigger and am in heaven with the results... I play in CO so these old eyes can see the dot instead of the blurry front sight... fewer reloads too