Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Most dependable Open Gun?

Broncman

It's a new policy.  You won't find the option on your gunbuilder.

Yes Casey confirmed to me the same, I was ready to order a 9 major SVI . They will not build them any more...[emoji848]

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, hwansikcjswo said:

Such a great info!!

Is Tanfoglio gold team a good option for the OP?

I have had a good team (v12) and now have 2011s. 

Shooting a gold team is going against the current. 

I really like the ergos on the gt. it points better for me than the 2011. Love the grip. 

Mine was very reliable but I did break a slide stop and an extractor (mine was 38 super). 

They just aren't really built to run 9major with any longevity. Super is a little better.

I think despite the best shooter in the world using one they are not the best open gun choice. Also with the v12 you need a very stout load to make major pf. I was running 10.2-10.4gn of 3n38 with a 124gn cmj. I run 9.1-9.2gn in my 2011 which still has popple holes (just 3 instead of 12). 

3 hours ago, dvc4you said:

Yes Casey confirmed to me the same, I was ready to order a 9 major SVI . They will not build them any more...emoji848.png

What if you ask for a 9minor gun but built exactly as you would If the gun was 38suler ? You know, because you only shoot steel challenge but want to look cool or something along those lines ? 

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 5:08 PM, Broncman said:

Looking at getting an Open Gun for next year's season.  Must be ultra reliable. I know nothing of Open pistols other than the internet. Drawn to CZ but parts might be issue. Heard of barrel lug issues.

Always drooled over STI but hear about slide cracks. Looking to shoot major. 

I want to cry once on this one...

Thoughts? 

I shoot a CZ Czechmate. I'm about 24,000 rounds down the pipe (on one barrel) and just shot it to a 4th place finish in Open at Area 1 2017. The only issue is tuning the big stick to work right, otherwise I simply do not have issues. Period. I've literally gone thousands and thousands of rounds without a single light strike, mis-feed, etc. I heard about the barrel lug issue but have not had any issues whatsoever. I use grease on the slide stop and oil everywhere else. I have replaced 2 slide stops as routine maintenance. It comes with a 2nd barrel anyway, so if you DID have an issue, you'd have another one to use while you replaced the first.

I am tempted to buy some kind of 2011 just to try something different, but when I'm have such good results with my Czechmate I don't see any reason to change. Plenty of stories about teething issues with 2011's, although once set up well they seem to be fine. It does seem like there is a wide range of quality between manufacturers though. My CZ shoots great, runs great. Awesome value. I have not regretted my purchase once in the last 17 months I've been shooting it.

Scott

I think most 2011/Tanfo/Whoever issues are anecdotal. Assuming you understand how to load your own ammo and keep your mags tuned, you will be set for 95+% of issues you might run into. The other 5% seem to be issues with parts made of poor quality steel or poor fitting. And Ive seen those on all sorts of open guns, limited guns, and production guns.