Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Most dependable Open Gun?

Broncman

Looking at getting an Open Gun for next year's season.  Must be ultra reliable. I know nothing of Open pistols other than the internet. Drawn to CZ but parts might be issue. Heard of barrel lug issues.

Always drooled over STI but hear about slide cracks. Looking to shoot major. 

I want to cry once on this one...

Thoughts? 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The most reliable setup is going to be one where you buy a package deal; optic preinstalled, proper mags, tested fired by the factory/builder, using factory recommended new ammo, with a warranty guarantee.

Once you try to monkey on it yourself or add aftermarket parts you've wasted all the value of a turnkey rig.

If you like the CZs, just go buy a brand new Czechmate for 2500 and don't try to bubba it. 

I started in OPEN 10 years ago with a 9mm Major TruBor (then got a 2nd one

as a backup).

Still love the TruBor ...   fired about 10-20,000 rounds thru them ...  No problems.

No cracked slide.   Just added a racker and it's good to go.

You cannot buy a new TruBor anymore, but you cannot go wrong with any STI/SVI.

Don't worry about the cracked slides - you'll be shooting at least 5,000 rounds/year

plus all your other expenses - replacing a cracked slide 5-10 years from now will

pale in comparison to your other expenses.

Welcome to OPEN  :) 

Thanks guys. I got out of F Class long range and into CO this year. Wanted to try it for a year before I dropped a lot of money into this. 

Since December I have put a little over 5,000 Rds through my XDM 5.25. now that warmer weather is here I plan on at least 2 days a week live fire and 2 matches a month. 

This is very addictive. I do want to do a package deal. I have built a few 1911's from Rock Island base guns, but no longer have access to the machine shop I used. 

I'm retired so I made it my hobby. building  and running  Glock 34, Major    for the fun of it .... 4 years now. very reliable. Meets my needs and budget.post-51591-0-23064100-1456769949_thumb.jpg 

Edited by ickus

The overwhelming majority of open shooters use STI framed guns based on the 2011 platform. I think it would be a mistake to stray to far from this platform. There are several custom builders that will build a polymer gripped custom gun within your budget.  

11 minutes ago, jnr88 said:

The overwhelming majority of open shooters use STI framed guns based on the 2011 platform. I think it would be a mistake to stray to far from this platform. There are several custom builders that will build a polymer gripped custom gun within your budget.  

2 hours ago, JimmyBob said:

The most reliable setup is going to be one where you buy a package deal; optic preinstalled, proper mags, tested fired by the factory/builder, using factory recommended new ammo, with a warranty guarantee.

Once you try to monkey on it yourself or add aftermarket parts you've wasted all the value of a turnkey rig.

If you like the CZs, just go buy a brand new Czechmate for 2500 and don't try to bubba it. 

I tried out limited with a cz tac sport and it lasted about a month. If I were you I would go with a 2011. There's way more parts available and help if needed. 

Open guns are high maintenance.  Does not matter who makes it.  Well, some guns are higher maintenance than others.  You have to realize you are pushing these guns to the max and then some.

The 2011 platform is the best way to go.  Hi-Power Jack gave you some excellent advise.  Brazos has a good deal on a brand new 38 Super Trubor and you would have money for ammo.  38 Super is easy to reload and is very dependable.

If you want a higher end gun...There are  numerous smith's more than willing to make you a gun.  Expect 6 months to a year wait.

Atlas Gunworks Chaos seems to be the new hot trend.  Not a long track record so time will tell but as mentioned before, if you shoot open a lot a cracked slide is inevitable.  I'm ordering my Chaos soon.

13 minutes ago, af220wa said:

Atlas Gunworks Chaos seems to be the new hot trend.  Not a long track record so time will tell but as mentioned before, if you shoot open a lot a cracked slide is inevitable.  I'm ordering my Chaos soon.

I disagree with "inevitable".   I know guys been shooting the same gun forever.  They wear out barrels and never see cracked slides.  The number one reason for cracked slides is tri-topping the slide.  Tri-topping removes to much metal at the ejection port and that is where most cracks start.  Ask gun smith who have been making open guns for 10 years or more.

I went with a DVC Open in 38 SC as my first open gun. It has run with no issues since day one. I have ordered a Atlas Chaos to use now and will keep the DVC as.a backup. I would agree with some of the other member and say that a 2011 platform is the way to go. The nice thing is that most everyone in open shoots it and you will always be able to find someone who can answer questions or may even have parts if something breaks, which it will. Its just like running a high performance sports car. Things wear and need replacing. 

I disagree about about buying a 38 SC over 9MM gun. 9MM bras is ubiquitous, easy to find,  very inexpensive and most importantly safe. I will send you by PM a builder many in the midwest have used and all operate reliably. 

glock in open will probably the least dependable... 

STI, well no thank you, they need so much work you might go with a custom from start, probably easier. 

I used to buy all SVI, I own 9 of them... but with the new policy not to sell 9 major guns.. well yeah :/ 

so if you want 9 major, akai, atlanta, ck arms, freedom gunworks (alphebetical)

for 38 super or comp, you can add SVI to the list. 

Edited by ano

I shoot a STI in 9 major, after the break in period (500 rounds), it's been 100% reliable, I haven't done anything to it except install a racker and a 90 degree CMore mount. I had less luck with the STI mags so I went with MBX mags and sold the STI's

I would stay clear of sti since all they make now is the dvc. Lots of people have comps or slides cracking with the dvc. Plus for the price of the dvc I think the ck is a nicer gun. Only way I would go sti is if you can find a trubor or match master. Good luck with that though.

Edited by Bullets