Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Split Barrel

jbran267

Check out my G35 barrel. The cracks go all the way through to the chamber. There was no indication of any issue in firing it, I only noticed when I had the gun disassembled. 

I don't know the full history of the barrel, I found this just after purchasing it. I'm thinking it to be more long duration fatigue vs a single event. The previous owner never had a double charge or overpressure event that he noticed. Either way, it's something I'm going to inspect for in the future. Not sure how the failure would have progressed, but it wouldn't have been pretty.

I sent the whole gun to Smyrna to see what they think.  

IMG_2026.JPG

IMG_2027.JPG

13 minutes ago, WiII said:

That's crazy.

Did glock pay the shipping or did you? And don't tell them reloads were shot though it!

I paid the overnight shipping ($40 from AL). I'm not aware of any reloads ever being fired in it.

18 minutes ago, 9x45 said:

It happens, Glock will send you a new barrel. I've cracked 2 slides over the last 25 years, and they made it good.

That's good to hear. Most folks seem to have positive experiences with their customer support.

I talked to Glock, they want me to pay $150 to replace the barrel. They did not know what caused it, they couldn't claim over pressure since there wasn't damage elsewhere on the gun, which would be typical. 

Unfortunate, and I am out $40 shipping it to them.  At least they'll refresh the small components.

Definitely not spending $150 on an OEM .40 barrel.

On 5/11/2017 at 7:52 PM, atmar said:

read somewhere carbon nitriding makes metals brittle somehow

I specifically asked them if the tennifer can make the chamber brittle and they gave me an adamant "no".

From what I've seen Glock seems to be hit or miss with whether they'll charge for replacements such as this.  Based on that serial # that G35 is 16 years old and I think was made pretty early after they came out with the 35.  So I guess you can't blame them for not covering a new barrel.  Do you know round count through that barrel? 

8 hours ago, Southpaw said:

From what I've seen Glock seems to be hit or miss with whether they'll charge for replacements such as this.  Based on that serial # that G35 is 16 years old and I think was made pretty early after they came out with the 35.  So I guess you can't blame them for not covering a new barrel.  Do you know round count through that barrel? 

I don't know the round count. I'm definitely not upset at Glock.  I was hopeful to get a new one, but I was really interested in hearing why it happened.

11 minutes ago, darkvibe said:

I would be upset at glock if I shot factory ammo and my barrel cracked like that then they wanted $150 to put a new one in.

It would be different if it weren't 16+ years old or had a known round count.  Their stated warranty is only one year, so I'd say that refurbing all the springs and small parts is already well in excess of what they are required to do.

Subject to terms, conditions and limitations outlined below, GLOCK, Inc. guarantees its pistols against defects in materials and workmanship that adversely affect their operation for a period of one (1) year from the date of their original purchase by the initial consumer. This warranty is valid only for pistols purchased and used in the United States of America, its territories and possessions and Puerto Rico.

1 hour ago, jbran267 said:

It would be different if it weren't 16+ years old or had a known round count.  Their stated warranty is only one year, so I'd say that refurbing all the springs and small parts is already well in excess of what they are required to do.

Subject to terms, conditions and limitations outlined below, GLOCK, Inc. guarantees its pistols against defects in materials and workmanship that adversely affect their operation for a period of one (1) year from the date of their original purchase by the initial consumer. This warranty is valid only for pistols purchased and used in the United States of America, its territories and possessions and Puerto Rico.

I guess that's one area where other manufacturers are better than glock.

Regardless of age or round count, I figured they would replace it for mere reputation.  hmm...

From the accounts I've read it seems to depend on the mood of whoever is dealing with your issue.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Now I'm just curious, how do you know there were no reloads shot through it if you bought it used? And how worn does the rifling look in the barrel? I've never seen a Glock barrel break like that before. If it were truly only factory ammo shot though it I'd think it would take a ton of rounds to do that.

Which stinks, but I can imagine the massive financial obligation of having a lifetime replacement policy when dealing with so many pistols would be way too much. They would have to jack up the price for sure. I'm counting this as valuable experience. I used to tell people they couldn't go wrong with a used Glock, but you most certainly can!

14 minutes ago, Southpaw said:

Now I'm just curious, how do you know there were no reloads shot through it if you bought it used? And how worn does the rifling look in the barrel? I've never seen a Glock barrel break like that before. If it were truly only factory ammo shot though it I'd think it would take a ton of rounds to do that.

I bought it from a fellow shooter. I can't say definitively that it has never seen reloads, but he has had it for quite some time and wasn't reloading.

4 hours ago, Southpaw said:

You're really asking this question. Remind me never to use him as an alibi... hahahaha!