Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major in a Glock 34 without a comp?

ShootEm

10 hours ago, fishbone928 said:

This is overwrought and wrong.  Winchester sells factory ammo that comfortably makes major out of a 34.  Its not pleasant to shoot, but the gun is fine and you don't have to wear a bomb suit.  

The 127's is what our dept issues for carry. It clocks about 1,280 fps out of my G17s. But why would anyone run that for competition? And why would you want to run Major in Production Division, and there is no Major 9mm in Limited (although you could get a G31 and run Major, which is what I d0)... I never said factory loads, I said loads that work in an STI Open gun are too hot for an OEM Glock. That's why you mostly see STI platforms in Open Division. 

1 minute ago, tdp88 said:

What is the purpose of shooting 9 major? I understand making major for scoring, but why do people do it using 9?

Cheaper brass, mostly. If you're shooting a lost brass match, you leave like $5 worth of brass on the ground, as opposed to $50. Granted, 9 major doesn't have great brass life like .38s, but I like not having to scramble to pick up my brass and hope I find every case on a stage where I've run around for like 30 yards. 

9mm brass is getting to be like $.025/case, so you can stockpile it like nobody's business. 

1 minute ago, Xanatos903 said:

Cheaper brass, mostly. If you're shooting a lost brass match, you leave like $5 worth of brass on the ground, as opposed to $50. Granted, 9 major doesn't have great brass life like .38s, but I like not having to scramble to pick up my brass and hope I find every case on a stage where I've run around for like 30 yards. 

9mm brass is getting to be like $.025/case, so you can stockpile it like nobody's business. 

Is it safe to shoot 9 minor with brass previously shot 9 major brass?

Just now, tdp88 said:

Is it safe to shoot 9 minor with brass previously shot 9 major brass?

The answer to that probably depends on how hot of a load you're running, but I've gotten at least 4 loads of 9 major out of a couple batches of brass before I started seeing serious signs of stress. 

I don't hesitate at all to just grab some of my brass and load up some PCC or minor handgun loads if I need some. 

The answer to that probably depends on how hot of a load you're running, but I've gotten at least 4 loads of 9 major out of a couple batches of brass before I started seeing serious signs of stress. 

I don't hesitate at all to just grab some of my brass and load up some PCC or minor handgun loads if I need some. 

Good to know, we have a lot of 9mm shooters who don't pick up brass at my local matches and I have been hesitant to pick theirs up because a few shoot major.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, tdp88 said:

Good to know, we have a lot of 9mm shooters who don't pick up brass at my local matches and I have been hesitant to pick theirs up because a few shoot major.

Where I've noticed my brass start to give is in the web. If you want to pick up brass but know there are some 9 major shooters in the club, just sit in front of the TV with a bunch of brass and a flashlight, and shine it into the mouth of each case to give them a quick look. If the brass is decently clean, you'll be able to see small cracks radiating outward from the flash hole, and sometimes a circular crack encircling the flash hole halfway to the case wall. There's a pic below sent to me by a buddy of what I'm talking about.

hrkDvfR.png

These are from .40 cases but I see the same with the occasional 9mm case, and most of those are with Winchester headstamps. 

Most of the cases that are like this can probably withstand another firing or two, especially with minor loads, but I like my fingers enough to take the time to properly examine range brass before loading. 

Edited by Xanatos903

5 minutes ago, tdp88 said:

Thanks for the info! I'll start checking after I clean brass. I've been a little nervous since a friend had a KB from a bad case.

Tell us more about this kaboom.  9mm or 40? Powder? Bullet weight?

4 hours ago, tdp88 said:

It was 9mm using tite group and a 147 grain bullet. It cracked the frame of his glock but didn't damage his hand.

Sounds like a double charge to me, I've pushed it pretty hard and never experienced anything like that.