Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major in a Glock 34 without a comp?

ShootEm

I'm shooting a Glock 34 and eventually want to mod it out with SJC parts to make it an open gun.   In the meantime, I want to shoot in Limited division, which I've been told is the best way for people new to the sport.   I'm not looking to win any trophies, but it always bothers me that I'm losing points by shooting minor in this division.   I don't really want to invest in another gun in 40 S&W just for this purpose.

It occurred to me that I will be purchasing a fully supported SJC/KKM barrel for my Glock 34 on my way to making an Open gun out of it.  This barrel supports 9mm Major.   I can buy 9mm Major ammo at Atlanta Arms, so I'm not dealing with the reloading difficulties of this round for the moment.

As I've been researching this idea of shooting 9mm major loads without a comp, I haven't come across any posts addressing this issue.    That suggests to me that it probably doesn't make any sense to do this, but I'd like to get some feedback from you guys.

Thanks.

33 minutes ago, kneelingatlas said:

Why not load 10 rounds in your mags and shoot production?

I've gone back and forth.   I've had several people tell me limited is better for newer shooters because there's less planning involved, but my gun is more suited for production.

Shoot production where that gun is best suited or shoot limited minor and not care what people think.

I've researched this some and I would be very leary of shooting an open Glock. If I were to try open I would do it with parts that could be undone like the ALG or carver mount over the SJC. 

Really though I'd go Carry Optics if you want to shoot a dot gun. Much cheaper and easier to shoot then open and the Glock is very competitive in CO against other polymer guns,  you maintain minor PF ammo but with a slide mounted dot and big mags!

3 minutes ago, Marshal82 said:

Shoot production where that gun is best suited or shoot limited minor and not care what people think.

I've researched this some and I would be very leary of shooting an open Glock. If I were to try open I would do it with parts that could be undone like the ALG or carver mount over the SJC. 

Really though I'd go Carry Optics if you want to shoot a dot gun. Much cheaper and easier to shoot then open and the Glock is very competitive in CO against other polymer guns,  you maintain minor PF ammo but with a slide mounted dot and big mags!

Aren't you limited to 10 rounds anyway in CO?

ShootEm, if you are that new, I would stay in Production until you get at least 2-3 dozen matches under your belt. There is way, way more going on in the game than just the Division you choose. In addition to the fundamentals, transitions and movement over ride any gear you choose. And while CO may look cool, it takes serious discipline to draw from a dot.

Yes, CO recently changed to allow 141.25 mm magazine extensions. Sorta of Open Minor now.

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 10:43 AM, ShootEm said:

shooting 9mm major loads without a comp

You should borrow a dozen 9mm Major rounds from a friend,

and fire them in your Glock w/o a comp ....    :wacko:

I've never done it, but have read here that shooting 9mm Major

in a Glock w a comp is not entirely pleasant ....   can't imagine

what it would be like w/o a comp.    :ph34r:

35 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I think I'll just shoot CO for now so I don't have to worry about being "punished" for shooting minor in Limited (I'm not capable of shooting all A's).   I didn't realize the round limitation was removed for CO.

48 minutes ago, 9x45 said:

ShootEm, if you are that new, I would stay in Production until you get at least 2-3 dozen matches under your belt. There is way, way more going on in the game than just the Division you choose. In addition to the fundamentals, transitions and movement over ride any gear you choose. And while CO may look cool, it takes serious discipline to draw from a dot.

Yes, CO recently changed to allow 141.25 mm magazine extensions. Sorta of Open Minor now.

Open Minor sounds perfect for me.    

I've never had anyone suggest shooting Production because I'm new.   In Production, I have the added complexity of planning more reloads, instead of focusing on the other shooting essentials you mentioned.   

That was the point of my whole "9mm Major without a comp" idea - to be able to shoot limited without the penalty for shooting minor and without buying a new gun.   CO sounds like the way to go, plus I can shoot 9mm Minor out of my new KKM barrel.   It seems like a good place to work up to shooting Open some day.   Shooting a race gun seems like a lot of fun, but I realize I don't have the skill set to make that jump just yet.

Production you have more reloads this is true. It depends on the match and stages whether it's an issue. A lot of stages are move here shoot 3-4 targets move to another port or spot and do it again so if you reload each time you move it's not a big deal. I also think removing the reloads helps you focus on movement and other aspects of the game. 

If you practice a little the reloads don't become an issue anyway so it's just something you do and not think about. Downside to production is you need 5-6 mags and 4-5 mag pouches. CO is a real sweet spot of capacity, being about to use a dot and still shooting minor so it's easier and cheaper to make or buy ammo.

1 hour ago, Marshal82 said:

Production you have more reloads this is true. It depends on the match and stages whether it's an issue. A lot of stages are move here shoot 3-4 targets move to another port or spot and do it again so if you reload each time you move it's not a big deal. I also think removing the reloads helps you focus on movement and other aspects of the game. 

If you practice a little the reloads don't become an issue anyway so it's just something you do and not think about. Downside to production is you need 5-6 mags and 4-5 mag pouches. CO is a real sweet spot of capacity, being about to use a dot and still shooting minor so it's easier and cheaper to make or buy ammo.

I shoot some IDPA, so I don't have a problem doing division-capacity reloads, but IDPA stages seem easier, plus I only need two mag pouches there, not 4 or 5 wrapped all the way around my back.  I find reaching all the way back for a mag to be more challenging.

Edited by ShootEm

11 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

No! 9mm Major, that runs in an STI, is capable of KaBooming an OEM Glock. You'e talking a 125 going well over 1,340 fps. Like you said "I've never done it" So don't advise it to newbies.

17 minutes ago, 9x45 said:

No! 9mm Major, that runs in an STI, is capable of KaBooming an OEM Glock. You'e talking a 125 going well over 1,340 fps. Like you said "I've never done it" So don't advise it to newbies.

This is overwrought and wrong.  Winchester sells factory ammo that comfortably makes major out of a 34.  Its not pleasant to shoot, but the gun is fine and you don't have to wear a bomb suit.  

23 minutes ago, fishbone928 said:

This is overwrought and wrong.  Winchester sells factory ammo that comfortably makes major out of a 34.  Its not pleasant to shoot, but the gun is fine and you don't have to wear a bomb suit.  

Which ammo is that?

Yeah, when I chronoed it out of mine it made 1350ish.  The 1250 test number given is out of a 4" barrel.  

Regardless, with this ammo on offer, we have to draw either of two conclusions.

1)  A major ammo manufacturer is selling ammo that will blow up your gun.

2)  This stuff isn't so dangerous that it can't be talked about around impressionable new shooters.  

I wouldn't run range brass in major through an unsupported chamber, but 9Major isn't a WMD.  

3 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Does WAC produce more pressure than 3n38 @ Major?

Oh yes.  As a generality, the faster the burn rate the higher the pressure (given the same PF).  3N38 is one of the slowest powders which can be used to make major in 9mm.  There's are two loads published my the manufacturer which make major, by contrast the max load for WAC under a 115 makes 134pf (139pf for 124gr).