Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PSA Opinions

On 7/7/2017 at 5:05 PM, rowdyb said:

i'd choose a lot of different makes before psa.

With two matches this weekend behind me, I now have over 5000 rds on my PSA upper and lower.  Knock on wood, I've yet to have any real problems or broken PSA parts.   Now I feel kind of stupid stock piling all those spare parts.

Bill

I have a PSA Colt lower with a Kaw Valley Precision upper.  the PSA lower has been very good and at a price that is hard to beat, put an aftermarket trigger group and ambi safety in it and it is good to go.  My Kaw Valley upper has been good, but at the last match had extractor issues on every stage (had about 3500 round through it).  I had never removed and cleaned the extractor and tunnel and the tunnel was full of junk, so I'm hoping that was it. 

With two matches this weekend behind me, I now have over 5000 rds on my PSA upper and lower.  Knock on wood, I've yet to have any real problems or broken PSA parts.   Now I feel kind of stupid stock piling all those spare parts.

Bill

Never feel stupid for being prepared!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 2 weeks later...

I put 300 for factory rounds through my brand new PSA rifle yesterday.   It ran great with Glock 32 round mags.  My reloads ran, but made the gun feel sluggish.  I think I will work on a hotter load specific to PCC in 9mm. 

The trigger has to go though!  I just ordered a Hiperfire 24C from Optics Planet.  They have a 10% off coupon if anyone is interested - EXSAVE.  So it came out to $200 shipped. 

• 1 month later...

Today I had my second case blow out. Now I can't get the casing out of the chamber. I think it has something to do with the gap between the bolt and barrel and it not completely supporting the casing

How hot is your ammo?  Does your ammo pass the plunk test?  Could the brass have an internal step in it?

I don't think you will find a 9mm lower that uses Glock magazines that does not have that 0.200'+/- gap.

I use random range brass that is checked to eliminate stepped brass loaded between 92 PF and 145 PF.  After over 7000 rds (I know, not much compared to a lot of competitors out there) I've not had a single ruptured case.

I read somewhere that inserting a .223 chamber brush can remove stuck cases like yours.

Edited by Flatland Shooter
10 hours ago, A78729 said:

Today I had my second case blow out. Now I can't get the casing out of the chamber. I think it has something to do with the gap between the bolt and barrel and it not completely supporting the casing

Ive had this happen a few times.  Below is my thread from when it happened to me.  I used a dental pick to pull it out.  I've also had to send my barrel back to PSA for replacement as it allowed another round to fire when the brass was stuck in the barrel.

On 5/16/2017 at 10:27 AM, A78729 said:

PSA broken extractor here with about 300 rounds. I was also wondering if anyone has used the New frontier extractor on a PSA

Same here 300 rounds and it broke. Did PSA replace the extractor or you bought one from a different company?

On 5/16/2017 at 10:27 AM, A78729 said:

PSA broken extractor here with about 300 rounds. I was also wondering if anyone has used the New frontier extractor on a PSA

Same here 300 rounds and it broke. Did PSA replace the extractor or you bought one from a different company?

• 5 years later...

I have the 4” and 8” GEN4 uppers, both are awesome.
Using AR15 lower. Upgrade to 11oz 9MM buffer (Brownells) and .308 carbine buffer spring.

Also, replaced trigger pin, hammer pin, buffer retaining pin and firing pin with titanium. 
I’m using Mean EndoMags. Will work with 30 round Gen 2 and GEN 3 PMAGS only. You replace PMAG internals with the EndoMag insert and now have a 10,20 or 30 round 9MM magazine no mag well conversion needed.