Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question for the rifle gurus

barebones1

Working on load development today 18.8 inch rise armament Barrel pictured is the best load of the day with a confirmation group I only loaded six rounds per rung of the ladder I keep seeing the single hole groups from AR posted on the web I just can't seem to get there is this the best I can expect these are shot off a bipod on a bench 46bc10f86bbe67cd9134d2ffdafd2c28.jpg unrealistic346823e1e7f2d3fd8a972810d10ab9e9.jpg332879fb33b2be69ecf8f6e88ce0ef0a.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

A lot goes into one hole groups. Extreme brass prep. The right primer, powder, coal etc.. Then shooting off of sand bags is a little more stable. Proper technique, breathing, follow through, trigger control. It goes on and on. You can generally get pretty good groups the way you are doing it but one hole? Jmo.

I won't say one hole groups are impossible, but generally those pics on the internet are 3 shot groups and they're cherry picked out of the other 20 groups the guy shot that day. On Snipershide generally anytime some claims one hole groups or "1/4 MOA all day everyday!" they are asked to provide a 6x5, which is 6 consecutive 5 shot groups on the same piece of paper. Not many people can back up such claims. I've shot quite a few magic 3/8" groups out of guns that are 3/4" guns on average. That doesn't mean I get to call them 3/8 MOA rifles...

If you can consistently shoot 5 shot groups like the 3 shot groups you posted you have nothing to despair about. You also didn't specify your level of brass prep and loading procedures, if your using mixed brass and loading on a progressive press your doing pretty well. 

Edited by TonytheTiger

That group is about equal with my best groups using 69gr SMK bullets. Shooting dime sized groups is nothing to scoff at and why the Rise Armament barrels rock.

You might also try 75gr Hornady, 77gr SMK, and 77gr Nosler Custom Comp bullets too. 

My Rise barrels (7 of them I think) all love the 77gr Nosler Custom Comp doing between 2500-2600fps depending on barrel length.

Edited by EaZeNuTZ33

1 hour ago, EaZeNuTZ33 said:

That group is about equal with my best groups using 69gr SMK bullets. Shooting dime sized groups is nothing to scoff at and why the Rise Armament barrels rock.

You might also try 75gr Hornady, 77gr SMK, and 77gr Nosler Custom Comp bullets too. 

My Rise barrels (7 of them I think) all love the 77gr Nosler Custom Comp doing between 2500-2600fps depending on barrel length.

thx I have not tried the nosler yet.   smk 69 / hmk 68 / berger vld 70 .hornady black 75 was 3/4 moa barrel is the 18.8 with 1.7

1 hour ago, Nugget said:

A lot goes into one hole groups. Extreme brass prep. The right primer, powder, coal etc.. Then shooting off of sand bags is a little more stable. Proper technique, breathing, follow through, trigger control. It goes on and on. You can generally get pretty good groups the way you are doing it but one hole? Jmo.

in 55 years I own just 1 single hole rifle.  takes a long time to load those 308 rounds

1 hour ago, TonytheTiger said:

I won't say one hole groups are impossible, but generally those pics on the internet are 3 shot groups and they're cherry picked out of the other 20 groups the guy shot that day. On Snipershide generally anytime some claims one hole groups or "1/4 MOA all day everyday!" they are asked to provide a 6x5, which is 6 consecutive 5 shot groups on the same piece of paper. Not many people can back up such claims. I've shot quite a few magic 3/8" groups out of guns that are 3/4" guns on average. That doesn't mean I get to call them 3/8 MOA rifles...

If you can consistently shoot 5 shot groups like the 3 shot groups you posted you have nothing to despair about. You also didn't specify your level of brass prep and loading procedures, if your using mixed brass and loading on a progressive press your doing pretty well. 

that was what I was thinking. half a min is GREAT for a gas gun. any further is just spinning my wheels. its a pretty standard load 23.5 varget  / cci 400 and 69 gr. sierra hpbt / mixed brass on progressive press. thanks for the input. she is ready for the next 2 gun

You may be over thinking this. Without knowing your barrel twist and distance your testing, I can't provide much feedback. 

What's your load do over the chrony? I suggest working up to 2800 f/s for 69s, zero at 200 yrds & put some time behind the glass tossing lead downrange. Trigger time is worth more than little tight groups.

Consistently hitting steel at distance from a hasty position only needs a 1 MOA rifle. When the groups start opening up more than 1 MOA cosistantly over time, put a new barrel on it and keep shooting. 

I agree with the last post.  One hole groups don't mean a lot in practical accuracy.  Shooting off a bench with high magnification, steady rest , etc does take a knack.  The groups that you are shooting is great.  You want to be able to hit your target in different positions and with reasonable time limits.  That will win matches before one hole groups will.  It is natural for a shooter to want the best group possible, but groups are not measured in matches, just hits and misses.

I totally agree with troupe. One last comment on groups. Bolt guns are easier to get closer to one hole groups. Gas guns can, but the skill level to get those little groups is different. There's a whole lotta shaken' going on with all the moving parts in a gas gun. If it's capable of one hole groups that's great, but as troupe pointed out, that doesn't win matches. Getting better at calling wind and being consistent at hitting targets at long range is where I'm working to improve my game. 

Good luck and keep shooting. 

I think you should get thee to a benchrest forum.  A 1 MOA gun would win nearly every high-power service rifle match much less 3 gun or IPSC rifle events.  

This is an irrelevant rabbit hole.